The reason why Steve McNair is not in the College Football Hall of Fame

In_The_662

Deeeeep In The Delta.....
It’s been 22 years since Steve’s college career ended. Still, he’s not in the College Football Hall of Fame. He’s never even been nominated.

Why the heck not?

By every one of the National Football Foundation’s criteria, he should be. Steve McNair earned All-America honors (a debated rule that’s keeping out plenty of former stars), he’s been eligible since 2005 and his records still stand. He’s one of the greatest football players the state of Mississippi ever produced.

But apparently McNair’s on-the-field accomplishments aren’t holding him back from being nominated. Perhaps we found the reason he hasn’t gotten his proper due.

SDS reached out to the NFF seeking clarification as to why McNair had never been nominated. An NFF spokesperson stated that each candidate must be nominated by their respective school by filling out a few nomination forms.

According to the NFF, McNair has never been nominated by Alcorn State. Paperwork, NFF stated, was the reason McNair was still waiting enshrinement.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/mcnair-not-college-football-hall-fame-2017/

It’s been 22 years since Steve’s college career ended. Still, he’s not in the College Football Hall of Fame. He’s never even been nominated.

Why the heck not?

By every one of the National Football Foundation’s criteria, he should be. Steve McNair earned All-America honors (a debated rule that’s keeping out plenty of former stars), he’s been eligible since 2005 and his records still stand. He’s one of the greatest football players the state of Mississippi ever produced.

But apparently McNair’s on-the-field accomplishments aren’t holding him back from being nominated. Perhaps we found the reason he hasn’t gotten his proper due.

SDS reached out to the NFF seeking clarification as to why McNair had never been nominated. An NFF spokesperson stated that each candidate must be nominated by their respective school by filling out a few nomination forms.

According to the NFF, McNair has never been nominated by Alcorn State. Paperwork, NFF stated, was the reason McNair was still waiting enshrinement.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/mcnair-not-college-football-hall-fame-2017/
Wow

You have got to be kidding me. Get your stuff together Alcorn! Someone email this to the AD and president over there

Alcorn was always the toughest SWAC school to deal with when I was in collegiate athletics.

The more things change, the more certain things stay the same.

What's sad is that they will use Steve's off field activities as a way to exclude him. SMH

I think Alcorn knows that and just decided not to waste their time...which is sad.

It is a damn shame. Thanks In_the_662 for raising awareness. I contacted the President and AD through email on yesterday and followed up with a call this morning.

What's sad is that they will use Steve's off field activities as a way to exclude him. SMH

I think Alcorn knows that and just decided not to waste their time...which is sad.
Nope that's not an excuse for not nominating him. I'm truly upset about this and I'm going to hold the university accountable. Its not going to die on the vine. A good friend of mine is a delegate and will put this on the floor at the mid-winter conference which is in April I believe.

Last edited:

How many other players from Alcorn haven’t been nominated? Don’t stop at McNair. There are other Alcorn greats.

alot of people and I mean "us" mainly do not understand or even know about the CFB HOF

After attending some of the events, its a shame more of us aren't included as its a well-ran organization and prestigious event.

Nope that's not an excuse for not nominating him. I'm truly upset about this and I'm going to hold the university accountable. Its not going to die on the vine. A good friend of mine is a delegate and will put this on the floor at the mid-winter conference which is in April I believe.
February

How many other players from Alcorn haven’t been nominated? Don’t stop at McNair. There are other Alcorn greats.

This is something that I've mulled for a couple of years since starting this post

Right now Valley has 4 on the ballot and could easily nominate at least 5-6 more (and surprisingly one of them isn't Deacon Jones due to the All-American rule). Corey Holmes, Joe Thomas, William Kinnard, etc. were all AP All-American so they definitely are eligible (right now we have 3 in with Rice, Totten and Porter (coach))

The other SWAC institutions need to put together a list of their best 4-5 and nominate them

Back