The Novel Coronavirus - Thread V

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member

203 Lollapalooza Attendees Later Tested Positive for COVID, Chicago's Top Doctor Says​

"So now 14 days post, as I said, we've had no unexpected findings at this point, there's no evidence at this point of a superspreader event and there's no evidence of substantial impact to Chicago's COVID epidemiology," Arwady said Thursday.

"We estimate approximately 385,000 people attended Lolla. Approximately 90% plus were vaccinated, based on measures that were taken at the site," she explained. "We used 88% vaccinated as a conservative estimate for our calculations."

Arwady said the city estimates that 0.004% of the vaccinated attendees were later diagnosed with COVID, which equates to four in every 10,000 people, or 127 attendees.

"Among unvaccinated attendees, we did as expected see a higher rate of COVID cases but it was still low," she said. "Among unvaccinated Lollapalooza attendees, we estimate 0.0016% or 16 in 10,000 attendees, 76 unvaccinated attendees reporting tested positive. And as of yesterday, we had no hospitalizations or deaths reported, we do continue to follow up."

Take Lollapalooza, for instance. The largely (but not entirely) outdoor four-day music festival in Chicago was held July 29 through Aug. 1, but catered to a very different demographic than the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

Despite hosting over 100,000 individuals on each day of the festival, all signs suggest that Lollapalooza didn’t result in a superspreader event. This may be thanks to the fact that Lollapalooza organizers—working in active partnership the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH)—required either proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to attendance, and 90 percent of attendees were fully vaccinated. Moreover, masks were required in indoor spaces for the last two days of the event (once more, under the advisement of the CDPH).

Sometimes referred to as “the Swiss cheese model of pandemic defense”, preventive measures like testing, masks, and vaccination act together to protect against infection and perform best in combination than any one of them does alone. It’s a reality that may have spared Lollapalooza from becoming a superspreader event

Fitness trainer declined vaccine. Stunning photos show what happened to him​

Colorado fitness coach Bill Phillips is urging others to get the Covid-19 vaccine after ending up in the emergency room and losing 70 pounds fighting for his life from coronavirus. CNN affiliate KUSA reports.
Source: KUSA

Video

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
240532414_4593961003947563_8183443627706358717_n.jpg

Oregon governor announces statewide outdoor mask mandate​

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown announced Tuesday that she is imposing a statewide outdoor mask mandate regardless of vaccination status.

"The Delta variant is spreading fast and wide, throwing our state into a level of crisis we have not yet seen in the pandemic," the Democratic governor said in a statement. "Cases and hospitalizations are at a record high. Masks are a quick and simple tool we can immediately deploy to protect ourselves and our families, and quickly help stop further spread of COVID-19."

Even my high school students are starting to understand a bit. Every day I tell them... everyone that is absent is at home with covid. It's real, it's here and if you aren't willing to take any proactive measures to protect yourself and those you love, y'all are next. Then the next day another is absent... at home with covid and we are left with the knowledge that they sat there in class the day before infected with covid, without a mask on, blowing their stank breath into the air we were breathing.

Let the vultures come and tear it apart!

The study still indicates that vaccinated people are very much protected against severe illness and death and that previously infected people have literally no chance of being reinfected after vaccination. While previously infected people might be well protected against reinfection (though there are cases of reinfection), you still don't want to get COVID while unvaccinated because of the increased chance of death and long-term disability.

For real? This is the best y'all got? Soooo the article compares people who already had the delta variant of the virus to those who have never had it and got vaccinated. The results... if you've ALREADY had delta you probably won't get it again... for a while. If you've never had delta and got vaccinated you are at more risk than the person that already had it.
Is that a surprise? I mean, I guess if you don't understand how viruses and illness work it could be but... is that a surprise? If natural immunity was so great... then how did you get delta the first time? Your vitamins didn't keep you safe the first time around?

The study should compare the vaccinated to the unvaccinated who never had delta. I want to see if the ivermectin holds up to my Pfizer.

One of the teachers in my kid's school district died of covid last night. Had the state not blocked districts from taking any action his death could have been potentially averted.
I did speak at our city council meeting a few weeks ago and petitioned along with many others for a mask mandate for the city, including the school that my 6 y/o son attends. They passed the mandate last week and all the kids at his school were wearing mask this past week. My other kids' schools are outside of city limits so there still is no mask requirement there but more are wearing them as it dawns on them that this is real and horse dewormer doesn't work.

Good move!!! Those kids dont care about you.
Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

An 88-year-old professor in Georgia resigned in the middle of class because a student refused to wear a mask over her nose: 'That's it. I'm retired.'​

An 88-year-old professor at the University of Georgia declared his retirement during a class when a student refused to wear her face mask properly.

Professor Irwin Bernstein told the University of Georgia's student newspaper, The Red & Black, that one of his students had shown up to his class on the second day of school without a mask. When a peer gave the student a mask to wear in class, she did not wear it across her face properly. She said she found it difficult to breathe with the mask over her nose, the most effective way to wear a face covering, health agencies such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

Bernstein asked her numerous times to wear the mask correctly, he told The Red & Black. The student ignored each request, he said.

"Whereas I had risked my life to defend my country while in the Air Force, I was not willing to risk my life to teach a class with an unmasked student during this Pandemic," said Bernstein, who taught psychology.

Just passing through! 🚶‍♂️

Just passing through! 🚶‍♂️

SMH.

Natural immunity is all good ... if you survive the virus with no ill effects after infection. An estimated 11 million U.S. citizens are suffering with long COVID.

SMH.

Natural immunity is all good ... if you survive the virus with no ill effects after infection. An estimated 11 million U.S. citizens are suffering with long COVID.
They don't understand you only get natural immunity if covid doesn't kill you like it did 3 of my family members, a teacher here last week, a teenager in MS 3 weeks ago. Natural immunity is great... if you live to use it.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
They don't understand you only get natural immunity if covid doesn't kill you like it did 3 of my family members, a teacher here last week, a teenager in MS 3 weeks ago. Natural immunity is great... if you live to use it.
My condolences to your family members.
Question: did they die at home or at the hospital?

And if they were at the hospital, where they put on a ventilator?

ty... hospital... why?

covid basically destroys your lungs so unless you die suddenly like makayla robinson, the 13 y/o in MS, then you end up on a vent.

ty... hospital... why?

covid basically destroys your lungs so unless you die suddenly like makayla robinson, the 13 y/o in MS, then you end up on a vent.
I personally believe the "vent" is killing more people than Covid! We explicitly refused the vent for some of my family members in the hospital with Covid much to the dismay of the staff.

Suffice to say, they are all still here!

I personally believe the "vent" is killing more people than Covid! We explicitly refused the vent for some of my family members in the hospital with Covid much to the dismay of the staff.

Suffice to say, they are all still here!
I understand. I wasn't there, well no one was b/c hospitals have been largely shut off with infection rates so high. I'm not sure how they are making those decisions. I do know not many make it off the vent.

Identical twins: One was vaccinated for COVID, the other wasn't; how'd they fare?​

Stay Safe Take Care GIF by Chippy the Dog

Bobby and Billy Ford hung out together even before they were born one after the other Jan. 21, 1962.

The identical twins were inseparable as youngsters growing up in Williamsburg, Virginia, where their father started an auto repair shop after fixing helicopters for 20-plus years in the Army.

They worked in the shop, but also were together in the outdoors, playing football and enjoying all the perks associated with Colonial Williamsburg and a mom who worked at nearby Busch Gardens.

Meantime, Bobby said, Billy wasn’t feeling well, so he went to a medical provider, where he was told he had the flu. The next day, Billy was so ill he went to the Cleveland Clinic Indian River Hospital emergency room and was admitted — with COVID-19.

“It was one employee after another going down,” Bobby said, noting employees under age 30 got COVID-19 badly and were on their backs for eight days, texting him “they’d never been so sick in their lives.”

As a big man, 6-feet-3, 320 pounds, Bobby Ford might have been a prime candidate for hospitalization. But he, like other employees who had relatively minor symptoms, had been vaccinated: Bobby with Johnson & Johnson.

Even the twins' mother, 83, was infected and had a minor fever. But, Bobby said, she was protected by the Moderna vaccine.

Billy was not vaccinated.

“We had many heated discussions about this vaccine,” Bobby told me the other day, lamenting that he could not persuade his brother to dismiss conspiracy theories and get one.

I know a woman who lost her baby due to Covid, she thought she had strong blood and could not get covid.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...itical-maneuvering/ar-AAOjScJ?ocid=uxbndlbing

Republican Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has sued six school districts for instating mask mandates in defiance of the governor's ban.

In May, Texas' Republican Governor Greg Abbott issued an executive order banning schools from instating mask mandates for students and faculty. At least 108 of Texas' 1,247 public school districts defied his order.

Paxton is suing six school districts. Their names and student body populations are as follows: Elgin with 4,556 students, Galveston with 7,034 students, Richardson with 39,524 students, Round Rock with 51,208 students, Sherman with 7,510 students and Spring with 35,284 students.
During President Joe Biden's Thursday speech outlining his administration's six-point plan for fighting COVID-19, he called out Abbott and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida for threatening schools that implement student mask mandates.

"Right now, local school officials are trying to keep children safe in a pandemic, while their governor picks a fight with them, and even threatens their salaries or their jobs. Talk about bullying in schools," the president quipped.

"If these governors won't help...I'll use my powers as president to get them out of the way," he added.

Back