The Boule and the Links

Killer Bees

Are they even relevant anymore? The only time I see their names mention is in Ebony on the 50 Most Influencial Blacks list.

For those that don't know, The Boule AKA Sigma Pi Phi is the nation's oldest predominantly black greek letter fraternity (not Alpha Phi Alpha). They were founded June 26, 1904. Unlike college fraternities, they are slightly more selective and exclusive.

I don't know anything about the Links except that they are the female equivalent to the Boule.

I know that at some point in my life I'd like to be apart of The Links. But for more insight on these types of organizations, you should read Our Kind of People by Lawrence Otis Graham.

I am familar with the book, but I am curious about what are they doing now. When was the last time you heard someone say I got a cousin that is a member of the Boule????

Killer Bees said:
Are they even relevant anymore? The only time I see their names mention is in Ebony on the 50 Most Influencial Blacks list.

For those that don't know, The Boule AKA Sigma Pi Phi is the nation's oldest predominantly black greek letter fraternity (not Alpha Phi Alpha). They were founded June 26, 1904. Unlike college fraternities, they are slightly more selective and exclusive.

I don't know anything about the Links except that they are the female equivalent to the Boule.

"True they were found in 1904, but the Boule was a fraternity founded for professional men"

BUT!!

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, INC., holds the distinction of the BLACK COLLEGE FRATERNITY...STILL THE OLDEST AND THE COLDEST!!

BluPearl98 said:
I know that at some point in my life I'd like to be apart of The Links. But for more insight on these types of organizations, you should read Our Kind of People by Lawrence Otis Graham.

Good reference material for that, soror. It wil really open one's eyes...

There's an article in this month's Ebony on Sigma Pi Phi and their 100th anniversary celebration.

Killer Bees said:
I am a member of the Baton Rouge Chapter of The Links, Incorporated. Our membership counts approximately 10,000 professional women of color in 274 chapters located in 42 states and three countries. We are an organization of accomplished, dedicated women who are active in your community. The Links members are role models, mentors, activists and volunteers who work toward the realization of making the name "Links" not only a chain of friendship, but also a chain of purposeful service.

In Baton Rouge, my chapter is committed to implementing national program themes as administered by headquarters in <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:pLACE>Washington, <ST1:STATE>D.C.</ST1:STATE> </ST1:pLACE>This commitment has resulted in the development of award-winning and nationally-recognized chapter programs. Notably, these programs initiated and implemented for nearly forty years have provided active volunteerism and support to the communities of <ST1:CITY>Baton Rouge. </ST1:CITY>
<ST1:CITY></ST1:CITY>
<ST1:CITY>Here is a listing of our SIGNATURE PROGRAMS where we give service to the Baton Rouge community:</ST1:CITY>
<ST1:CITY><ST1:CITY>
  • Beauregard <ST1:pLACENAME>Art</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACENAME>Gallery
  • Mid-Winter Community Seminar Series through the Agency for International Development - National Council for International Visitors
  • Community Service Showcase: ?Partners in the Journey of Service"
  • ?Old Fashion Spelling Bee? - <ST1:pLACE><ST1:pLACENAME>Leo</ST1:pLACENAME> S.</ST1:pLACENAME> Butler <ST1:pLACETYPE>Community Center</ST1:pLACETYPE> </ST1:pLACE>and Southern University
  • Program assistance to the Friends of Scotlandville and the Scott-Gilchrist Quality of Life Center (<ST1:pLACE>Bethel <ST1:pLACENAME>A.M.E.</ST1:pLACENAME><ST1:pLACETYPE> Church)
  • Program assistance/support to the <ST1:pLACE>DeBose <ST1:pLACENAME>National</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACENAME>Piano</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACENAME>Competition-Southern</ST1:pLACENAME> University
  • Project: ?Link Lads? <ST1:pLACE><ST1:pLACENAME>Youth</ST1:pLACENAME> Connection - Capital Middle School
  • Project: ?Rose Buds? <ST1:pLACE><ST1:pLACENAME>Youth</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACENAME>Connection - Park</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACETYPE>Elementary School
  • Community Spirit Awards: Youth Achievers, Emerging Corporate Leaders, Community Service Activists and ?In Support of Neighborhoods?<O:p style="MARGIN: 0px"> </O:p>
<O:p style="MARGIN: 0px">For more information about The Links, Incorporated and the Baton Rouge Chapter of The Links, Incorporated visit our websites: www.linksinc.org and www.brlinksinc.org.</O:p>

<O:p style="MARGIN: 0px">The Baton Rouge website was a gift to the chapter by my "line" that was initiated June 13, 2004. The picture on the homepage is of Julia Brogden Purnell, the 7th National President of The Links, Incorporated and a member of our chapter.</O:p>

<O:p style="MARGIN: 0px">And to answer your question, we are very a RELEVANT, VIBRANT and ACTIVE organization in the African American community and worldwide.</O:p>

<O:p style="MARGIN: 0px">

</O:p></ST1:pLACETYPE></ST1:pLACE></ST1:pLACE></ST1:pLACE></ST1:pLACETYPE></ST1:pLACE></ST1:CITY></ST1:CITY>

Seeing Spots said:
I am a member of the Baton Rouge Chapter of The Links, Incorporated. Our membership counts approximately 10,000 professional women of color in 274 chapters located in 42 states and three countries. We are an organization of accomplished, dedicated women who are active in your community. The Links members are role models, mentors, activists and volunteers who work toward the realization of making the name "Links" not only a chain of friendship, but also a chain of purposeful service.

In Baton Rouge, my chapter is committed to implementing national program themes as administered by headquarters in <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:pLACE>Washington, <ST1:STATE>D.C.</ST1:STATE> </ST1:pLACE>This commitment has resulted in the development of award-winning and nationally-recognized chapter programs. Notably, these programs initiated and implemented for nearly forty years have provided active volunteerism and support to the communities of <ST1:CITY>Baton Rouge. </ST1:CITY>
<ST1:CITY></ST1:CITY>
<ST1:CITY>Here is a listing of our SIGNATURE PROGRAMS where we give service to the Baton Rouge community:</ST1:CITY>
<ST1:CITY><ST1:CITY>
  • Beauregard <ST1:pLACENAME>Art</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACENAME>Gallery
  • Mid-Winter Community Seminar Series through the Agency for International Development - National Council for International Visitors
  • Community Service Showcase: ?Partners in the Journey of Service"
  • ?Old Fashion Spelling Bee? - <ST1:pLACE><ST1:pLACENAME>Leo</ST1:pLACENAME> S.</ST1:pLACENAME> Butler <ST1:pLACETYPE>Community Center</ST1:pLACETYPE> </ST1:pLACE>and Southern University
  • Program assistance to the Friends of Scotlandville and the Scott-Gilchrist Quality of Life Center (<ST1:pLACE>Bethel <ST1:pLACENAME>A.M.E.</ST1:pLACENAME><ST1:pLACETYPE> Church)
  • Program assistance/support to the <ST1:pLACE>DeBose <ST1:pLACENAME>National</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACENAME>Piano</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACENAME>Competition-Southern</ST1:pLACENAME> University
  • Project: ?Link Lads? <ST1:pLACE><ST1:pLACENAME>Youth</ST1:pLACENAME> Connection - Capital Middle School
  • Project: ?Rose Buds? <ST1:pLACE><ST1:pLACENAME>Youth</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACENAME>Connection - Park</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACETYPE>Elementary School
  • Community Spirit Awards: Youth Achievers, Emerging Corporate Leaders, Community Service Activists and ?In Support of Neighborhoods?<O:p style="MARGIN: 0px"> </O:p>
<O:p style="MARGIN: 0px">For more information about The Links, Incorporated and the Baton Rouge Chapter of The Links, Incorporated visit our websites: www.linksinc.org and www.brlinksinc.org.</O:p>

<O:p style="MARGIN: 0px">The Baton Rouge website was a gift to the chapter by my "line" that was initiated June 13, 2004. The picture on the homepage is of Julia Brogden Purnell, the 7th National President of The Links, Incorporated and a member of our chapter.</O:p>

<O:p style="MARGIN: 0px">And to answer your question, we are very a RELEVANT, VIBRANT and ACTIVE organization in the African American community and worldwide.</O:p>

<O:p style="MARGIN: 0px">

</O:p></ST1:pLACETYPE></ST1:pLACE></ST1:pLACE></ST1:pLACE></ST1:pLACETYPE></ST1:pLACE></ST1:CITY></ST1:CITY>
Get the knife and lets cut this ni@#$!!!!!!!!

Just joking....

Back