the Academy Awards

BandFan said:
This was a fitting end to the End of Black History Month with:

Chris Rock hosting the Academy Awards
Beyonce singing 3 times during the show
Morgan Freeman winning best Supporting Actor &
Jamie Foxx winning best Actor

:tup: :tup:

Don Chedelle will get his award soon...................TRUST!!!!!

Cosign...I will definitely have to see Hotel Rwanda. Cheadle is very much over looked and underrated. Very versatile and a student of his craft.

Look for Cheadle to get his before 2010!

Alabama film wins Academy Award.

http://www.al.com/movies/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1109499338297740.xml

I also like what Jamie Foxx said in the press room, when one of the reporters asked what he meant when he said, "let's do this African-American thing," during his acceptance speech:

""In our music, in our everyday life, there are so many negative things," said Foxx, who throughout awards season has praised Washington and Berry as ambassadors for black actors. "Why not have something positive and stamp it with blackness?"

Do we ever need something positive we can put a black stamp on these days. Bravo Jamie and Morgan Freeman, one of the most distinguished actors in the motion picture industry.

TSU/BAMA said:
But yall, what was up with those five songs that was nominated for best song? :vomit: Did anyone else hate those songs or was it just me?

They weren't that bad. It's movie music and it goes like that sometimes. There were no movies that had any original r&b or blues songs. I liked the second song that Beyonce performed (dont' remember what movie it was from,) and the song by Antonio Banderas and Carlos Santana.

northern tiger said:
Congratulations Mr. Fox. It was well deserved and given for the proper role instead of five years later for a lessor.

COSIGN !!! I was more proud of foxx oscar than i was for helle's or denzel for worst roles. I thought denzel had done way better work than training day and halle had done better work also i thought. Denzel always makes me feel proud about getting his oscar. He was not over emotional like halle was. I love they both won but i would rather they won for their best work, i.e. X, and dorothy dandridge or hurricane. I am jsut glad that some get notice for playing positive roles instead of playing crooks and harlets. Last night proved we don't have to be dirty cops or slaves or whatever but we can positive people who impact others lives in a positve way like ray charles or hotel ruwanda or like morgan freeman. I was laughing all night at chris rock !!!! Sean penn dope head azz got his feathers ruffled when chris talked about jude law being in every movie!!!!!!

Or a c**n role like Cuba Gooding Jr. played.

I think that Denzel should have won twice for "Hurricane" and "Antoine Fisher". Both of those movies were EXCELLENT!!!!

I am so proud of Jamie, and I am glad he did get the award for this role.

However, I am also proud of Halle and Denzel for their work. While the roles they played were not "gods and goddesses", I appreciate the work they put into making those roles believable and for that I believe they deserved not only that academy award for them but any other award that actors receive! They are great in their crafts! I think it is opening doors that their craft and workmanship in it was perfected and their peers agreed as much!

STC_60 said:
COSIGN !!! I was more proud of foxx oscar than i was for helle's or denzel for worst He was not over emotional like halle was. I love they both won but i would rather they won for their best work, i.e. X, and dorothy dandridge or hurricane.

After several nominations over a period of more than 50 years of never having a Black actress win an Oscar for a lead role, I think Berry's emotions were legitmate. If you listened to her acceptance speech, you know why.

As far as "Introducing Dorothy Dandridge," it was not a major motion picture release. It was an HBO original movie, and therefore couldn't be nominated for an Oscar. Had it been, I believe she would have received one for her work in that film. She did receive a Golden Globe for Best Actress which is considered by many to be the next best thing to the Academy Awards.

cat daddy said:
Playing the role of a cocky athlete is coonish?

Please elaborate.

Please don't have BF elaborate.

Still laughing @ the KFC/Kwame thread....:lol:

Can someone tell me why Foxx wasn't nominated in past years for his rolls in 'Bootie Call' or 'The Playerz Club'?

Foxx has now graduated to the post-Blaxploitation genre. Let's hope he uses this time well.

LaMont said:
Can someone tell me why Foxx wasn't nominated in past years for his rolls in 'Bootie Call' or 'The Playerz Club'?

:lmao: Thats the best joke I heard today, LaMont. :lmao:

SAME OLD G said:
Who here has seen "Million Dollar Baby"? Is it really that good?

"Million Dollar Baby" is an excellent movie. Just saw it last night. I few weeks ago I was skeptical as to whether it was as impressive as the hype suggested. It was superbly acted and very well-directed. Thumbs up to Clint Eastwood for this one.

I haven't seen "Sideways" yet ("Ray" and "Hotel Rwanda" were also very good), but I think the Oscar voters were dead-on this time. Don't sleep on this one.

SLT said:
Please don't have BF elaborate.

Still laughing @ the KFC/Kwame thread....:lol:

STOP!!!!

Its was the role and what he did after the movie and the award. He had more face time then Fonzworth Bentley. Everywhere he went......."SHOW ME THE MONEY!!"
Sit yo LAME @ZZ Down!!!

BandFan said:
STOP!!!!

Its was the role and what he did after the movie and the award. He had more face time then Fonzworth Bentley. Everywhere he went......."SHOW ME THE MONEY!!"
Sit yo LAME @ZZ Down!!!

:lol:

BandFan said:
STOP!!!!

Sit yo LAME @ZZ Down!!!
:tup: :nod:

Back