The 1st time I experienced racism

oldgymlgnd

OLDGYMLGND
I wrote this this on my facebook page

I was asked when was the 1st time I experienced racism:
Mobile, Alabama, 7th grade! Me and my brother David and mostly anyone from my neighborhood who didn't have transportation, would walk in groups to the Friday night high school(Murphy) football game at Ladd Stadium- about a 3-4 mile walk. Walking home on Ann St as we came up on a corner store at Adams St. a car full of klansmen-about 3-4, pulled up behind us and as they were getting out their car they were yelling the klan this and that and that they were gonna take one of us. Mind you we were back in our part of town by then about 10:00pm and the streets were empty. There were about 6 of us and everyone in the group scattered. I grabbed my brother and we turned the corner and ran about half a block and we ducked behind a car as the Klan rode slowly by looking for us. They passed us and me and my brother doubled back to Ann St and were running for our lives. Don't know where everyone else was but as we ran one of the guys in our group, LeArtis Mcduffie, caught up with us and said he hid under a house but they saw him and shot at him. They didn't get anyone of us that night but two years later a friend of mine, Michael Donald(pictured below), in another part of our neighborhood was caught, beaten and hung. He and I would play one on one basketball during lunch at school. Can't help to think this but it could have been me. This shit is real people and your President hits all of the right notes as far as I'm concerned. Yall can have him!!!....
eye-crossed-out
Image may contain: one or more people and people standing

Image may contain: outdoor

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I wrote this this on my facebook page

I was asked when was the 1st time I experienced racism:
Mobile, Alabama, 7th grade! Me and my brother David and mostly anyone from my neighborhood who didn't have transportation, would walk in groups to the Friday night high school(Murphy) football game at Ladd Stadium- about a 3-4 mile walk. Walking home on Ann St as we came up on a corner store at Adams St. a car full of klansmen-about 3-4, pulled up behind us and as they were getting out their car they were yelling the klan this and that and that they were gonna take one of us. Mind you we were back in our part of town by then about 10:00pm and the streets were empty. There were about 6 of us and everyone in the group scattered. I grabbed my brother and we turned the corner and ran about half a block and we ducked behind a car as the Klan rode slowly by looking for us. They passed us and me and my brother doubled back to Ann St and were running for our lives. Don't know where everyone else was but as we ran one of the guys in our group, LeArtis Mcduffie, caught up with us and said he hid under a house but they saw him and shot at him. They didn't get anyone of us that night but two years later a friend of mine, Michael Donald(pictured below), in another part of our neighborhood was caught, beaten and hung. He and I would play one on one basketball during lunch at school. Can't help to think this but it could have been me. This shit is real people and your President hits all of the right notes as far as I'm concerned. Yall can have him!!!....
eye-crossed-out
Image may contain: one or more people and people standing

Image may contain: outdoor
Damn!

This story was mentioned on the MSNBC Rachel Maddow Show a couple of weeks ago. It referenced the the $7M court settlement his family received as well as showed an interview with his surviving mother. Interestingly, the court verdict held each of the individuals responsible PERSONABLY liable.

Last edited:
I was only a kid, about 9 years old, but I remember reading about Michael Donald in Jet Magazine. It was a scary time because when it happened, those Atlanta Child Murders were going on as well. I remember walking home daily with people from my neighborhood (younger and older) and we would share our plan on what to do should someone come after us. It was so scary to look at those issues of Jet and see what was happening to kids our age that looked like us. SMH

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back