Texas teacher suspended after racist Ferguson tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEE DOG

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/11/us/dallas-teacher-suspended-ferguson-tweet/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

A Texas teacher has been "suspended without pay pending discharge" after accusations that she sent racially charged tweets about the incidents in Ferguson, Missouri, a representative for the Duncanville Independent School District said at a press conference.

Vinita Hegwood, a high school English teacher at Duncanville High School near Dallas, allegedly sent the tweets from her personal Twitter account Friday.

"Who the (expletive) made you dumb (expletive) crackers think I give a squat (expletive) about your opinions. #Ferguson Kill yourselves," read one of the messages.

Later that evening another tweet appeared, saying, "You exhibit ***** behavior, I'm a call you a *****. You acting crackerish, I'm a call you a cracker." Hegwood is African-American.

t's not clear exactly to what or whom she was referring, but the protests in Ferguson, Missouri, have often hinged on race, as Michael Brown was a black teen killed by Officer Darren Wilson, a white policeman. A grand jury is expected to decide soon whether Wilson will face charges.

Hegwood is in her second year at Duncanville High School, where she maintained a website for her students, www.englishandelephants.com.

The Twitter account from which she allegedly made the comments has since been taken down. Hegwood did not immediately respond to CNN's calls and emails seeking comment.

Lari Barager, Duncanville Independent School District spokeswoman, called the messages "offensive" and "reprehensible" and stressed the tweets do not represent the 240 other teachers at Duncanville High School.

I really have a problem with people in this country not being able to exercise their freedom of speech. Is it really freedom if you are fired from your job? I know it goes both ways and leaves the gates open.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Was wondering who was gone post this one. Saw it on facebook Sunday!!!

Same here.

I can't help but wonder if this wasn't the job of someone who may have possibly hacked V's account. Looking at the date and time of the tweets makes me wonder because it was the Friday night of our homecoming. I saw Corey Thursday night, but it was so packed where we were I didn't get a chance to see V but I'm guessing she was there also. And as much events and activities that went on that weekend, I'm sure if V was there, she was with her sorors and friends, catching up on old times.

We all know how tough V is; I'm praying she'll be able to keep her job and put this behind her so she can continue forward.

Same here.

I can't help but wonder if this wasn't the job of someone who may have possibly hacked V's account. Looking at the date and time of the tweets makes me wonder because it was the Friday night of our homecoming. I saw Corey Thursday night, but it was so packed where we were I didn't get a chance to see V but I'm guessing she was there also. And as much events and activities that went on that weekend, I'm sure if V was there, she was with her sorors and friends, catching up on old times.

We all know how tough V is; I'm praying she'll be able to keep her job and put this behind her so she can continue forward.

:tup:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/11/us/dallas-teacher-suspended-ferguson-tweet/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

A Texas teacher has been "suspended without pay pending discharge" after accusations that she sent racially charged tweets about the incidents in Ferguson, Missouri, a representative for the Duncanville Independent School District said at a press conference.

Vinita Hegwood, a high school English teacher at Duncanville High School near Dallas, allegedly sent the tweets from her personal Twitter account Friday.

"Who the (expletive) made you dumb (expletive) crackers think I give a squat (expletive) about your opinions. #Ferguson Kill yourselves," read one of the messages.

Later that evening another tweet appeared, saying, "You exhibit ***** behavior, I'm a call you a *****. You acting crackerish, I'm a call you a cracker." Hegwood is African-American.

t's not clear exactly to what or whom she was referring, but the protests in Ferguson, Missouri, have often hinged on race, as Michael Brown was a black teen killed by Officer Darren Wilson, a white policeman. A grand jury is expected to decide soon whether Wilson will face charges.

Hegwood is in her second year at Duncanville High School, where she maintained a website for her students, www.englishandelephants.com.

The Twitter account from which she allegedly made the comments has since been taken down. Hegwood did not immediately respond to CNN's calls and emails seeking comment.

Lari Barager, Duncanville Independent School District spokeswoman, called the messages "offensive" and "reprehensible" and stressed the tweets do not represent the 240 other teachers at Duncanville High School.

Yeah I read about this a little bit on Sunday ... Praying for Vinita

Same here.

Amen.

It really bothers me white males can disrespect black people all day, everyday at work, on TV, congress, police officers and so on. Yet they try to hold blacks to different standards.

Looks like some of the same stuff she'd say on here. You can't just say anything you want in a public forum.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I went to the School District's FB page to read the comments. It was ugly!! :lol:

Those white folks are MAD at Nita!! I'm like, "ewwwww I know Nita Mae want to curse their asses out"!! :lmao:

Unfortunately we hear about this type of situation once a month, where a person makes a comment on social media and their job is affected. Once this all blows over she will be alright. She's currently suspended without pay. They might even suspend her for the rest of the school year. But I think she will get her job back next year and get back pay. At least that's how it would work up here...with the unions. :lol:

Praying for Nita Mae and Her Family...but I know they will be alright!! she's probably somewhere with her feet kicked up enjoying her "vacation" because the folks that matter to her truly know her heart!!

I went to the School District's FB page to read the comments. It was ugly!! :lol:

Those white folks are MAD at Nita!! I'm like, "ewwwww I know Nita Mae want to curse their asses out"!! :lmao:

Unfortunately we hear about this type of situation once a month, where a person makes a comment on social media and their job is affected. Once this all blows over she will be alright. She's currently suspended without pay. They might even suspend her for the rest of the school year. But I think she will get her job back next year and get back pay. At least that's how it would work up here...with the unions. :lol:

Praying for Nita Mae and Her Family...but I know they will be alright!! she's probably somewhere with her feet kicked up enjoying her "vacation" because the folks that matter to her truly know her heart!!

post a link

:lol:

It's funny how folks are tip-toeing around this topic. It's like y'all are literally afraid of this woman. Like JSU/99 alluded, surely none of you are surprised.

Unfortunately teachers unions in Texas aren't powerful (anti-union laws in Texas) but I have no doubt that she will be back in the classroom by next school year.

Social Media claims another one...smh. What you say can and will be used against you these days.

Companies now have social media policies for employees. I know a guy who was told by his employer that the company advises employees not to opine about such things as politics on social media.

Lots of folks have been either fired or suspended for comments they've made on Facebook or Twitter.

Companies now have social media policies for employees. I know a guy who was told by his employer that the company advises employees not to opine about such things as politics on social media.

Lots of folks have been either fired or suspended for comments they've made on Facebook or Twitter.

I lost two republican clients this election cycle because they read some of blog posts on my personal website and disagreed with some of my political statements. The third guy I worked with in New Jersey basically got me to sign a NDA about doing work for his campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back