Terminal Illnesses

Warndalyn

Postmaster General!!!
The Nelly(HIV) thread prompted this one.

I ponder over this quite often. Why can't America find cures for these fatal diseases such as HIV/AIDS and Cancer. There are many others, these two just tend to stand out more. They're affecting so many each and everyday. Someone's constantly being diagnosed with one or the other. My mother tends to think that it's big business for the health care industry and the government to not reveal a cure, she thinks they know more than they're telling us. I tend to agree with her on it. I also think that as long as they feel it's affecting more of us than them, then it really doesn't matter much or at all. The statistics show that AIDS is infecting more black women and black people than ever. Are the stats correct, or are the biased? Is this big business for the medical/health care industry or is it just hidden racism or both?

What are your thoughts????

I think its big business. There is more money in the treatment than in the cure. Im a biology major and there are many ways I think the disease could be stopped. Saliva basically kills the disease, so couldn't they take saliva and investigate what in it stops the disease. I think they have had the cure for a while , but they are making more money off of the treatment vs putting out the cure. If the cure were to come out anytime soon it would probably be too much for black people to afford anyway.

I can agree with that last statement you made T-bone. Insurance wouldn't even wanna pay for it.

Your mother is right, Dtown Jag, it's big business. It's also population control. World population control. All past civilizations fell because they ran out of food. If the world population trend had continued as it did in the late 50's and 60's the world would be overpopulated about the end of the 21st century. Where are we going to go? The moon, Mars.... I don't think so. So the easiest solution for some secret world government is war and disease. It sounds sick, ridiculous, off the wall... but think about it where in the world would there be room for 30 billion people on this planet... and how can we FEED 30 billion people where even today crimes are committed in this country because somebody is trying to feed their families. Check out the book "EMERGING VIRUSES - AIDS AND EBOLA " by Dr Leonard G. Horowitz. It has a lot of medical terms but you can still get the idea of what the doctor is saying. It will trip you out.

Originally posted by pbla
Your mother is right, Dtown Jag, it's big business. It's also population control. World population control. All past civilizations fell because they ran out of food. If the world population trend had continued as it did in the late 50's and 60's the world would be overpopulated about the end of the 21st century. Where are we going to go? The moon, Mars.... I don't think so. So the easiest solution for some secret world government is war and disease. It sounds sick, ridiculous, off the wall... but think about it where in the world would there be room for 30 billion people on this planet... and how can we FEED 30 billion people where even today crimes are committed in this country because somebody is trying to feed their families. Check out the book "EMERGING VIRUSES - AIDS AND EBOLA " by Dr Leonard G. Horowitz. It has a lot of medical terms but you can still get the idea of what the doctor is saying. It will trip you out.

Thanks for that reading suggestion pbla...I'll have to pick this one up. :tup:

So we do agree that this is an epidemic......right?

To echo everyone else, I do think it is big business. There have been a lot of advances in science and medicine to not have an idea what causes these diseases and how to stop/cure them.
Today is my "Friday".

Posted by Dtown Jag
So we do agree that this is an epidemic......right?

Yes, and when I first entered the Navy in '82, they told us to be careful,especially if you are in the New York area because they believed the disease originated in Southern Canada or upstate New York in the gay community. Now 20 years later they are saying it started in Africa! So how did Africa's Aid's epidemic grow so fast without a large gay community it the early 80's! It just make you wonder.

As far as they are concerned, everything bad comes from Africa.....whatever. :rolleyes:

I tell you what, I was in NY about a month ago and I saw quite a few gay azz folks. I was like WTF :eek:.

Originally posted by pbla

I think it is sad how we have to suffer in this world. :(

I have to disagree, folks. I don't think its big business; at least not in its entirety.

I've done research, not medical research, but research just the same. It takes a lot of effort, time, hard, and innovative thinking, analysis, and problem solving skills to come up with some of the most "basic" of solutions to what some may deem as "simple problems." And I think medical research is even harder, especially when one is dealing with ailments that have microscopic viruses as their root causes.

When I defended my dissertation, I told my committee that one of the things I valued most about my research experience was that I gained an even greater appreciation for what I "didn't" know. What I learned was that science has many more questions than answers, and there are many questions out there that have not even been formulated yet. Many of the theories that many are hanging their hats on are just that, theories. We really don't know how much of the stuff we think we understand actually works.

Business might share the blame from the perspective that they want to make as much money as possible and will not throw money into the bottleless pit that research can be. Businesses will bail out if a return isn't quickly forthcoming, and, on the one hand, who can blame them. Unfortunately, there is not as much morality in business as I would like there to be.

Bottomline: its in God's own time. When He is ready for us to have the cures, we will have them. And He will do so whether its through "structured research" driven by business interest or by some other means.

Regards.

If OUR HISTORY in America ...

has only taught us one thing, it is that some "people" will do anything to maintain POWER, in ALL aspects of the word!

Back