Ten Reasons Why NFL Players Go Broke

bigmanofds

1) Gross vs. net: It never fails; when my clients get their first NFL check they call me and say something is wrong. They are floored by how much is taken out for taxes and other deductions. Unfortunately, the shock doesn’t resonate long enough. I would say 90% of players have some type of direct deposit or their check gets mailed to their investment advisor and the players never see the net amount. Thus, they think they always are making more money (in gross numbers) than they actually are.

2) It comes too easy and too fast: First it’s a college scholarship, cash from uncles during college, advances and stipends from agents and financial advisors. A large signing bonus before the first snap in camp and making a team. When money comes fast and easy for a young man the assumption is life will always be that way. Players can easily develop a false sense of value of themselves. Many think that starting a profitable business or landing a high paying six-figure cushy job will be easy after football. Why not, everything else came easy right? Wrong! Players have a rude awaking when they can't even land a coaching job after their career ends and don’t properly prepare for starting a second career.

Jamal Lewis recently added himself to the list of former players who have filed for bankruptcy.

3) The cost of vanity: I tell my friends that if I opened a specialized rim shop serving pro athletes, instead of being an agent, I would be a rich man. The same goes for custom jewelry. Unfortunately, I noticed that many athletes associate wealth with material possession. So they feel like the more they have, the richer they are. I would say 90% of all athletes are getting ripped off on auto and jewelry purchases. I had one client have a watch appraised that he thought was worth over the $20,000 that he paid for it. The appraiser valued it at $1,500. The diamonds he thought he had on the watch weren’t real. I did it to teach him a lesson. The obsession to have the latest and greatest toys, the biggest house, the newest car(s) and most expensive clothes is probably the number one wealth killer for professional athletes. As I always say, “rich people have things, wealthy people have investmentsâ€.

4) Weak financial counsel: What I mean by this is that most financial advisors, accountants and confidants I met and observed over the years don’t have the fortitude to stand up to their clients in fear of losing them. If they ride their clients too hard about spending the athlete may just fire him or her. So they tend not to make the hard calls and put their foot down on spending patterns. For many consultants, it’s a race to invest the players’ assets before they spend it. Consultants who take their time to educate, communicate and have a way of helping players control spending get an A+ in my book but they are few and far between.

5) Bad investments: There are some intelligent football players who made some really bad investments. The problem is usually compounded when they make a big bet with the majority of their savings on real estate or a business. In addition, many of them sign personal guarantees on loan deals in addition to the investment.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ten-Reasons-Why-NFL-Players-Go-Broke.html

"As I always say, rich people have things, wealthy people have investments."

Hmmm.

You don't say ....

I'll go one better. :lol:

One reason Millionare athletes go broke.
STUPIDITY.............. :lmao:

Guess these fools have never heard of plastic or bank debit cards. Better yet, just go to the bank during business hours and withdraw all the cash you want. Guess when the SKRIPPERS come over, they need instant cash to "make it rain." Now mofos will break into his house just for the atm. And whats up with the "URKLE" outfit he wearing. :lol:

DSATM.jpg

DeShawn Stevenson has an ATM in his kitchen

12. Children. A lot of the athletes are a little to loose with the spreading of the DNA, and that child support adds up, especially once the big $$$$ stops rolling in.

Knowing a few NFL players that are now Broke, I agree with what he said.. in its the truth for the most part. I was talking with Randy Hymes in he was like every player that he knew blew every dime of there 1st contract. The 2nd Contract is when players really start understanding whats going on, in thats because while they was trying to get the second contract they all relize that they are low on Funds.. he went on to say that the 2nd contract is when you see that you taking care of too many people, changed rims too much, and didnt put enough up for taxes..
As a College student you where use to all ways getting money back from the IRS in many people believe that the more money they make the more they get back.
But yep this agent is 100% true.. Im good friends with Kenny Smith (Saints), Kenyatta Walker (tampa), Scotty Anderson (lions), Todd Pinkston (eagles) and Randy Hymes (Ravens) in went they went to the league We was 21, 22 and 23... In boy, Allstar weekend, essence Fest, and Bayou Classic was off the chain for us!!!

Guess these fools have never heard of plastic or bank debit cards. Better yet, just go to the bank during business hours and withdraw all the cash you want. Guess when the SKRIPPERS come over, they need instant cash to "make it rain." Now mofos will break into his house just for the atm. And whats up with the "URKLE" outfit he wearing. :lol:

DSATM.jpg

He's an idiot anyway. The problem is most athletes are just that, they are only athletic. They have no common sense, most have no book sense and others just get overwhelmed with the money that they think it will always be there. Folks be laughing at Lebron for not winning a title yet. But I am almost willing to believe he will not end up broke. First thing he said is he wants to be like Warren Buffet and started conferring with him on financial matters. Some of these cats need to call Magic up and talk with him. See what he did or somebody like Junior Bridgeman who owns all those Wendy's. The other thing is like you said, these mofos want every little thing and want it to be bigger and badder than the next cat. Instead of being frugal about some stuff and understanding Uncle Sam is going to get their's first. Well you better make sure they do or they will come get you later. The other thing is these get rich scheme investments. All these mofos got to do is follow what the real wealthy mofos are doing. Don't like Uncle pookie and cousin Ray Ray con you into some restaurant, rim shop or other fly by night business. Try to invest in some legit isht like Microsoft, and Berkshire Hathaway companies (Warren Buffet). But let's be real, most of these guys come from backgrounds that only know the hustle or streets. That might get you buy on some isht. But it will not get you by on everything. You better learn something or hire somebody you trust then hire somebody else to watch the person you trust to handle your business. LOL.

P bill is too high. You are the prize. Famous and rich. Why spend money chasing top 1% P when you can get top 10% for free (assuming you dont knock them up).

DSATM.jpg

It's called Black Irony
http://ideas.time.com/2012/03/01/the-new-black-irony/

I have a question....when was the last time any of you went to a store that did not accept a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express?

Not that I would do it, but Stevenson's ATM idea might not be too bad... he charges his athlete friends to use it. The money is coming out of those guys' bank accounts.

I talk to NFlers who played in the 70s, 80s and 90s (when money began to rise)

the 70s NFLers made "decent" money but they knew they had to land a job right after they finished playing. Most went into coaching or other professions, lived amongst other black professionals in their areas and were middle class at best, their kids went to regular schools

Ones in the 80s began to make better money, lived a higher lifestyle but still had to find suheyitable employment after, but their kids began to attend private school and they had more wealth

the 90s made great money up front but this is the era when alot invested in things around town, spend money big, had kids go directly to private school, etc...but they got better pensions and didn't have to work hard if they invested wisely...you don't see many of these guys coaching like the 70s and 80s

I talk to NFlers who played in the 70s, 80s and 90s (when money began to rise)

the 70s NFLers made "decent" money but they knew they had to land a job right after they finished playing. Most went into coaching or other professions, lived amongst other black professionals in their areas and were middle class at best, their kids went to regular schools

Ones in the 80s began to make better money, lived a higher lifestyle but still had to find suheyitable employment after, but their kids began to attend private school and they had more wealth

the 90s made great money up front but this is the era when alot invested in things around town, spend money big, had kids go directly to private school, etc...but they got better pensions and didn't have to work hard if they invested wisely...you don't see many of these guys coaching like the 70s and 80s

Part of the reason you don't see that many coaching is because so many have burned bridges at certain schools.

Look at Iverson and TO-crying that they are broke and begging to play. TO should be some WR coach at a school right now. Nobody wants a guy that got away with everything, screwed up teams, fired coaches and cooned for their career near their young players.

Most these boy don't know how to manage money because once they learned to play a sport that was it. Nothing else mattered. Anyone that tried to explain that to them got blocked by the leeches. Our sorry black media won't talk about or showcase guys who have gone to have success after playing or doing well after being a bust in the pros.

also the younger era is the era that began to take advantage of educational loopholes as the big schools did whatever it took to get kids into college despite them not being prepared...the older players had to earn their degrees as it meant an accomplishment to the family more than it does now as money superceded that

as a result, we saw higher profile athletes go to bigger schools, make more money but then blow it because they weren't prepared academically, financially or in alot of cases, socially as they don't know who to surround themselves by

TO, Iverson aren't coaching material..maybe years after but unlike the old days in which pro players stepped right onto the coaching profession, these guys need years to deprogram themselves personality wise

Alot of our African-American Athletes do not have real people to show us how to handle money. That is very important in the NFL, since the contracts are not guaranteed.

12. Children. A lot of the athletes are a little to loose with the spreading of the DNA, and that child support adds up, especially once the big $$$$ stops rolling in.

chris carter, speaking on TO's Dr. Phil appearance straight up said kids are a "bad business decision."

While I know this topic is about athletes, we could say the same thing about local, state and federal governments as well, considering all of them are operating under a deficit. Heck, we could say the same thing about common folk regardless of race.

Athletes going bankrupt/broke is just a reflection of the way America is.

While I know this topic is about athletes, we could say the same thing about local, state and federal governments as well, considering all of them are operating under a deficit. Heck, we could say the same thing about common folk regardless of race.

Athletes going bankrupt/broke is just a reflection of the way America is.

It is the American, just spend without responsibility!

My wife has a set of cousins and all 3 of them are divorced from NFL players. Two of them are 10 years their senior to the ex. Only one had a kid though. (and she filed for divorce weeks after he was cut) FYI.....they all dimes!!! I would just look at my wife's uncle and laugh cause he was the biggest groupie and took advantage of the perks. Everytime I go to the barber shop and flip through one of those quarterly club/social scene magazines, I see a one of them.

He's an idiot anyway. The problem is most athletes are just that, they are only athletic. They have no common sense, most have no book sense and others just get overwhelmed with the money that they think it will always be there. Folks be laughing at Lebron for not winning a title yet. But I am almost willing to believe he will not end up broke. First thing he said is he wants to be like Warren Buffet and started conferring with him on financial matters. Some of these cats need to call Magic up and talk with him. See what he did or somebody like Junior Bridgeman who owns all those Wendy's.

Add former Pittsburgh Pirate P Dorian Boyland to that group. He owns a chain of car dealerships. His Mercedes-Benz dealership here in Orlando is one of the top grossing Benz dealerships in the U.S. Ray Lewis owns a lot of commercial property and medical plaza's in the Miami Beach area, and brought a lot of property in Miami's Overtown community, that's experiencing gentrification right now. These young guys should be taking notice.

5) Bad investments: There are some intelligent football players who made some really bad investments. The problem is usually compounded when they make a big bet with the majority of their savings on real estate or a business. In addition, many of them sign personal guarantees on loan deals in addition to the investment.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ten-Reasons-Why-NFL-Players-Go-Broke.html

#5, I can accept that. At least some of these guys are trying. I saw a piece on Antoine Walker and how he got fleeced by some Chicago businessmen in a real estate deal that cost him millions. Deuce McAllister had a nice chain of Nissan dealerships that went belly-up during the recession.

Back