Ten Most Successful HBCU Football Coaches

LAW DAWG

TSU LOVE
Last week, former Heisman Trophy winner and NFL Pro Bowler Eddie George was introduced the head coach of Tennessee State University.

Less than a year ago, Jackson State hired Pro Football Hall of Famer Deion Sanders as their head football coach and is currently in his first season with the team.

Thus, it’s only right we honor some of the great HBCU football coaches that came before them.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Hell, they missed William "Billy" Nicks of Prairie View A&M
192-60-21 with PVAMU and Morris Brown

Yeah, this is a stacked list. Only person I don’t think quite belongs is W.C. Gordon with only one national championship. I would put Nicks, Richardson, Casem and Billy Joe in over him. But looking at the rest of the list, I don’t know who you would take out. They might need a to do a top 15 instead.

Yeah, this is a stacked list. Only person I don’t think quite belongs is W.C. Gordon with only one national championship. I would put Nicks, Richardson, Casem and Billy Joe in over him. But looking at the rest of the list, I don’t know who you would take out. They might need a to do a top 15 instead.
My initial thought as well. A top-15 would be more appropriate. Not having coaches Richardson, Billy Joe, and Nicks on the list is blasphemy.

Yes, of all the great HBCU Coaches, not sure you can have a list of just 10. Maybe top 20. Where is Casem, who not only a great coach but held several top NCAA positions, when HBCU coaches were not chosen by the NCAA.

Yes, of all the great HBCU Coaches, not sure you can have a list of just 10. Maybe top 20. Where is Casem, who not only a great coach but held several top NCAA positions, when HBCU coaches were not chosen by the NCAA.

You can if one looks at the winning percentage(s) as opposed to being subjective and biased (perhaps add a 10 years coaching tenure qualifier)

Gordon won 7 SWAC Championships in the 80's when Grambling and Alcorn had very good teams. HE BELONGS....

National Championships are opinions, especially back then. When one of those coaches win the SWAC 9 out of 11 years, holla at me. Gordon was robbed of most of those National Championships by Central State. Who wanted to see us on the field back then?

Last week, former Heisman Trophy winner and NFL Pro Bowler Eddie George was introduced the head coach of Tennessee State University.

Less than a year ago, Jackson State hired Pro Football Hall of Famer Deion Sanders as their head football coach and is currently in his first season with the team.

Thus, it’s only right we honor some of the great HBCU football coaches that came before them.

I was always concerned that Broadway might leave Grambling and stay in conference. I definitely didn't want to see him at Jackson State because I felt he would turn them into an FCS Powerhouse.

National Championships are opinions, especially back then. When one of those coaches win the SWAC 9 out of 11 years, holla at me. Gordon was robbed of most of those National Championships by Central State. Who wanted to see us on the field back then?
Answer: The Grambling Tigers. Gorden’s run in the 80s was indeed legendary, but check the decade against Gram as I think he broke about even against the Icon. You know the G-Men can forfeit the next 22 years and all time series lead would be barely be even. We want J-State anytime we can get you.

Answer: The Grambling Tigers. Gorden’s run in the 80s was indeed legendary, but check the decade against Gram as I think he broke about even against the Icon. You know the G-Men can forfeit the next 22 years and all time series lead would be barely be even. We want J-State anytime we can get you.
JSU dominated the late 80s and GSU. Also, you dont want to see us in the near future.

BTW, I like that new OC yall just hired. :snicker:

Wish yall were on the schedule.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back