TELL THEM WE ARE RISING

It was an excellent documentary that everyone should see. Absolutely excellent!
I disagree. The documentary failed to do in what it was advertised to be...a documentary on the history of HBCUs. It certainly wasn't that. Instead it was simply a black history documentary that told stories which involved HBCUs. How do you not at least tell when the first HBCU was established?

Now, that doesn't mean the show wasn't informative. But they dropped the ball on this one.

Last edited:
I disagree. The documentary failed to do in what it was advertised to be...a documentary on the history of HBCUs. It certainly wasn't that. Instead it was simply a black history documentary that simply told stories that involved HBCUs. How do you not at least tell when the first HBCU was established?

Now, that doesn't mean the show wasn't informative. But they dropped the ball on this one.

I agree. People are going on as if this was groundbreaking when at best it was a cursory glance. But I knew that it wouldn't be too deep; there's only so much that you can cover in 1.5 hours. That's why I look for documentaries on youtube that feature the individual HBCUs to get a better picture. Luckily, they broadcasted the Bishop College documentary immediately after this show here in DFW. I haven't finished, but I learned a lot about Bishop and Wiley as well as their impact in Marshall, TX.

Luckily, they broadcasted the Bishop College documentary immediately after this show here in DFW. I haven't finished, but I learned a lot about Bishop and Wiley as well as their impact in Marshall, TX.
I didn't get a chance to see the Bishop documentary. I wasn't even aware of it until after the fact. I need to look it up to see when it will play again.

I didn't get a chance to see the Bishop documentary. I wasn't even aware of it until after the fact. I need to look it up to see when it will play again.

Seems like they showed different schools in different areas as they showed something about PVAMU & stu down here in the Houston area.

I disagree. The documentary failed to do in what it was advertised to be...a documentary on the history of HBCUs. It certainly wasn't that. Instead it was simply a black history documentary that told stories which involved HBCUs. How do you not at least tell when the first HBCU was established?

True, I expected a lot more from the documentary. I wanted them to talk about the things going on today and how we can continue to grow.

I saw it last night including that tragic murder of Smith and Brown......heard so many stories about that time period over the years.....And the net results of their demonstrations started to take positive form during my matriculation. Definitely remember 10K students on campus with folks from all across the U.S. and abroad...

Back