TCQ Was Biting AWB HARD!

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Who would you say is the best white group to "cross over" into black music of all time? I'm telling you straight-up,,, Average White Band from the 70s has to be in dat mix!

Bartram said:
Who would you say is the best white group to "cross over" into black music of all time? I'm telling you straight-up,,, Average White Band from the 70s has to be in dat mix!

To me it was KC and the Sunshine band but of course KC was the only white guy. As far as an all white band that crossed over probably would be the Doobie Brothers and maybe Hall and Oates. Wild Cherry with "Play that Funky Music" and the group Foxy which had Tito Puente's son in it. Their big hit I can remember the JSU band playing in 1978 was Gett Off. I am sure their were others. Most groups had a mixture of white and black. Heatwave was one of them. For years as a kid I thought Heatwave leader Rod Temperton was black until I saw an album cover. Remember back then there were no videos. Only American Bandstand, Casey Casem, and Soul Train. I remember when we found out Hall and Oates were not black. LOL. Of course alot of European groups crossed over to black radio in the 80's.

Good topic.

JR said:
To me it was KC and the Sunshine band but of course KC was the only white guy. As far as an all white band that crossed over probably would be the Doobie Brothers and maybe Hall and Oates. Wild Cherry with "Play that Funky Music" and the group Foxy which had Tito Puente's son in it. Their big hit I can remember the JSU band playing in 1978 was Gett Off. I am sure their were others. Most groups had a mixture of white and black. Heatwave was one of them. For years as a kid I thought Heatwave leader Rod Temperton was black until I saw an album cover. Remember back then there were no videos. Only American Bandstand, Casey Casem, and Soul Train. I remember when we found out Hall and Oates were not black. LOL. Of course alot of European groups crossed over to black radio in the 80's.

Good topic.
I remember that too well,I was on the sidelines with my snare drum,man JSU The Sonic took it to us on their homecoming that year.

But back to the topic, I have to say AWB.

I am going to say AWB because I "A Love of Your Own" on Tom Joyner this week.

But I would have to throw in The Bee Gee's, The Police, Culture Club, Genesis (Phil Collins) WHAM (George Michaels) and Blondie. Don't act like yaw don't know "Rapture" and "The Tide is High".

AWB was one of my favorite white bands to listen to as a kid. I think Queen
Of My Soul was an underrated song that was just as great as their other cuts. Pick Up The Pieces, I'm The One, and Cut The Cake were my faves. Here's another one...even though they don't count as being a live band but I gotta give some love to Kraftwerk! I know y'all remember that Trans Europe Express isht!

BNGguy said:
AWB was one of my favorite white bands to listen to as a kid. I think Queen
Of My Soul was an underrated song that was just as great as their other cuts. Pick Up The Pieces, I'm The One, and Cut The Cake were my faves. Here's another one...even though they don't count as being a live band but I gotta give some love to Kraftwerk! I know y'all remember that Trans Europe Express isht!

Yeah they count. "Numbers" and "Its More Fun To Compute".

1) Hall & Oats - favorties cuts: "I cant go for that", "Sarah Smile", "ManEaster", "Private Eyes"

2) The BeeGees

3) Genesis (Phil Collis)

4) Tower of Power - "What is HIP" (When will another HBCU band play this)

5) QUEEN :eek: They are GREAT in every century

JR said:

Good topic.

:nod: oh my goodness what memories WHAT MEMORIES!!! yeah, Heatwave (Groove Line??) and Wild Cherry,, that was classic high school era for me! and Doobie Brothers,, didn't they do that cut "Black Water"? even though that is like southern white folk music sounding("oh black water keep on rollin' mississippi moon gonna keep on shinin' on me"), we used to like that song.

KC and the Sunshine Band is my Jr high/high school anthem and a skating rink classic! LOL:

I think for me the most stunning cross-overs were the euro and rappers. You could not have convenced me in a million years "Hold it Now Hit it" was white guys (until i sat and listened closely over and over and over to the lyrics/accents.). Same with 3rd Base until listening closely. Same with FREAKING House of Pain in the early 90s and although they are hispanic (?) freaking Cypress Hill("How I Could Just Kill A Man",,, i swore up and down that was by a black group,, even though something about it just didn't sound 100% black. I just thought it was some wise-azz black suburban rappers or something.). I thought i could not be fooled again after the Beastie Boys, but House of Pain and Cypress Hill made me throw in the towel and I have NOT been suprised every since.

BandFan said:
1) Hall & Oats - favorties cuts: "I cant go for that", "Sarah Smile", "ManEaster", "Private Eyes"

2) The BeeGees

3) Genesis (Phil Collis)

4) Tower of Power - "What is HIP" (When will another HBCU band play this)

5) QUEEN :eek: They are GREAT in every century

i never knew Tower of Power/"What is HIP" was by a non-black group until the mid 90s. :shades:

For me it would be teh following:

Queen
Manhattan Transferr
KC and the Sunshine band
The Doobie Brothers
Hall and Oats
WHAM
The Beegees
The Beachboys
THe Pet SHop Boys
Tears for Fears
U2
De Lite
Timbuktu
B52's (Roam was a good ass song)
and

Vinita said:
I like "School Boy Crush," myself.

Of coarse from my topic one of my favorites is "Love You Life". This is the sample in Tribe Called Quest's "Check the Ryhm"(?).

AWB was the best in my opinion. Rare Earth was okay covering some Temptation hits. During the mid to late 70's, Peter Frampton could be heard all over Grambling with his smash album, Frampton Comes Alive. Any of yall remember, "Do You Feel, Like I Feel"?

I've been enjoying listening to The Doors and the late Jim Morris. Lots of good guitar and hard azz lyrics. Sometimes the lyrics get a bit strange but it's not surprising since most of it was written (and performed) while stoned.

Bartram said:
Of coarse from my topic one of my favorites is "Love You Life". This is the sample in Tribe Called Quest's "Check the Ryhm"(?).

That right there made me think of the most slept on white group depending where you were.

STEELY DAN

Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz "Uptown Babay, Uptown Baby" was from their song "Black Cow"

But Steely Dan was the sh@t in the 70's.

northern tiger said:
Yeah, uf, they were mentioned already. "Voices In My Head" was the sh@t. Them three dudes jammed.

The Police was a very unique group. You could tell that they were influenced by the sounds of the caribbean through Ska, Reggae, etc....Don't Stand So Close To Me, Doo, Doo, Doo, Daa, Daa, Daa :lol: Driven By Tears, Every Breath You Take were some of my faves. Another group to take note of, even though they were an integrated group was Booker T. & The MG's. Those guys JAMMED! Even though they didn't sing and were mainly instrumental guys, they put together a type of sound that was truly a testament to what you can concoct if you bring a melting pot to fruition so to speak. Steve Cropper could make a guitar cry with joy, Duck Dunn had such a laid back flow on his bass licks, Booker T. Jones could be the calm before the storm on the pecking of the keys on that Hammond B3 organ of his and Al Jackson kept the beat on point.

How in the world could I forget one of the latest entries,,, the "slim shady" guy. gotta give him a few props,, even though it seems as though 50 cents will be bigger than him.

Back