Taylor hurdles Morris on JSU receiving list

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
November 18, 2001

Taylor hurdles Morris on JSU receiving list

By Mark Alexander
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

Move over Sylvester Morris, there's a new single-season receptions leader at Jackson State. His name: T.C. Taylor.

Taylor had a team-high seven catches in JSU's 52-28 win over Alcorn State Saturday to move past Morris in that category.

The 6-foot-4 senior from Magnolia now has 73 catches with one game remaining. Morris, now with the Kansas City Chiefs, had 69 catches in 1999.

Taylor, the Southwestern Athletic Conference's leading receiver, tied the old mark on a 9-yard pass from Robert Kent. He then broke it in the second quarter on a 6-yard catch. The game was stopped momentarily as a game ball was presented to Taylor on the field.

"It's a dream come true," Taylor said. "To be at the top of the wide receiver list for catches in a season at Jackson State, ahead of guys like Sylvester Morris, is something. It's something I'll always remember."

Taylor, who entered the game ranked fifth in Division I-AA in receptions per game (7.25) and ninth in receiving yards per game (110.8), was held without a touchdown for the fifth straight game. This after catching nine in the first five.

More records for Kent

JSU quarterback Robert Kent set JSU single-season records for completions and attempts in a season Saturday.

Kent completed 29 passes, giving him 216 completions on the season. That breaks the old mark of 202 set by Grailyn Pratt in 1996. Kent attempted 48, giving him 400 on the season. that breaks the old mark of 361 set by Pratt in 1996.

"That's what records are there for, to be broken," said Pratt, JSU's running backs coach.

Where's my glove?

Alcorn's Kris Peters and JSU's Michael Goss are two of the top center fielders in the SWAC. They each showed Saturday they can also catch a football.

Peters had a game-high nine catches for 138 yards and two touchdowns. Goss had five catches for 38 yards and two touchdowns. Peters had scoring catches of 24 and 33 yards; Goss' covered seven and eight yards.

Peters, who came into the game nursing a sore shoulder, leads Alcorn with 49 catches for 926 yards and 11 touchdowns. For Goss, the SWAC's leading kickoff returner, it was his second and third scoring catches this year.

"I told him after the game I would see him in the spring," said Goss, referring to baseball. "He made some great catches. I knew I was going to make some big plays, but I was shocked when I got that second one."

Odds and ends

Alcorn QB Donald Carrie threw for 292 yards and four TDs, giving him 972 yards and 11 TDs in the Braves' last three games. . . . JSU's Lawrence Story has caught a pass in 22 straight games. . . . JSU's Michael Caraway had an interception in the fourth quarter, his third in the Tigers' last two games and team-leading sixth of the season.

Back