Tavis' Smiley's State of the Black Union

northern tiger

Did anybody watch this on Saturday? The line up was very impressive as usual (Farrakhan, Jesse. Sharpton, West, Dyson, and other experts in the fields discussed). The first session focused on health care as it relates to our community. There wa a heavy emphasis on HIV/AIDS since the fasttest growing population that is being infect is our sisters, obesity, and pharmecutical companies. The second session dealt with a "Contract/Covenant" that should be drawn up to be presented to each political party on the issues that concern our community. Everyone agreed that the lack unity(a disconnect) as well as the lack of moral values within our community are the greatest detriments to our race. That's just a "brief" summary. More issues were presented and discussed, but it would take all day to type and I want to make sure any issues presented would be kept in their proper context.

I watched for a few hours during the first session, where they had the prominent doctors and healthcare professionals. Very good dialogue!!! :tup:
Had I known about this in enough time, I might've gone to this since it was in my metro area.

I was there and I tell you it was GREAT... Farrakhan could have open the doors of the mosque and everyone would have followed.
:bowdown: :bowdown:

I won't even start on Michael Eric Dyson, he had me on the floor... I can't wait until his new book comes out. Is Bill Cosby Right or Has the Black Middle Class Lost It's Mind

I watched it twice on Cspan; and I will be purchasing the DVD.

Farrakhan turn it out. Rev. Al Sharpton did well also. Dr. Jocelyn Elders received a lot applause when she said that Black male teens wear sneakers that light up;but when they speak their brains go dull.

JSU*Toi said:
I won't even start on Michael Eric Dyson, he had me on the floor... I can't wait until his new book comes out. Is Bill Cosby Right or Has the Black Middle Class Lost It's Mind

Michael Dyson was off the CHAIN, I saw it on CSPAN on Sunday!!!!!

That was some Powerfull people that had on that panel.

Dang...was it this Sat? I always watch it. I will pull it up this evening and watch it.

JSU*Toi said:
I was there and I tell you it was GREAT... Farrakhan could have open the doors of the mosque and everyone would have followed.

If I had known you were there, I would have looked for you on t.v. :lol: Yeah seeing Farrakhan reminded me of his visits to Jackson and Greenwood when I was @ JSU in 89-90. Yes, I have been a conscience/ angry black man for a loooooooooong time. :lol:

JSU*Toi said:

Missy, you don't let no grass grow under your feet, do you? :D

the entire event was emotionally and spiritually moving. everyone did an excellent job. i hope to make there one year.

CriTAUcal said:
What happened in Greenwood?

In the summer of '90, he spoke at the convention/civic center there during his "Stop The Killing" tour. It was the middle of July around 7:00 pm and I was standing in line. That had to have been some of the thickest heat I had ever experienced (and I have relatives in Hollandale, but I never recalled heat like that). It just laid on you like a wet towel. That's when I realized how wrong slavery was. If it was like that in the late evening, I didn't what to imagine what it would have been like in the middle of the day picking cotton. :mad:

northern tiger said:
In the summer of '90, he spoke at the convention/civic center there during his "Stop The Killing" tour. It was the middle of July around 7:00 pm and I was standing in line. That had to have been some of the thickest heat I had ever experienced (and I have relatives in Hollandale, but I never recalled heat like that). It just laid on you like a wet towel. That's when I realized how wrong slavery was. If it was like that in the late evening, I didn't what to imagine what it would have been like in the middle of the day picking cotton. :mad:

Yeah, the heat and the mosquitos can get you in the Delta.

Back