Talladega is the new SU

atl hornet

Talladega has that old SU sound, while these days SU doesnt sound like the SU of the old. Idk if it’s the new tubas or baritones, but something is off about SU.

Top two bands this season have been JSU and Dega.

Dega does NOT sound like SU of old. They are as out of tune as SU of old but no dice. Some of their orchestration is literally just bad and leads to exposing the even worse tone quality except on ballads. When I hear them I wonder if so many people are hitting wrong notes or wtf is going on. That's on about 60% of what they play. As a small school if they focused on technique, tone, skill, etc they would be amazing since they don't have sports. They have the time and the horns.
They are obviously INFLUENCED by su but they don't "sound" like su. It hurts me to say it but su sounds way better. They aren't hitting all those wrong notes at FFFFF. They have better tone and their orchestration in arrangements doesn't sound like...well like someone isn't paying to attention to their strengths.
I love their enthusiasm. I love their heart. I'd like to hear them tune up, clean up and really show what they are capable of.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Dega sounds better than Texas Southern honestly. And they don't sound bad at all this year. Last year maybe, but this year they sound pretty damn good.

Talladega has that old SU sound, while these days SU doesnt sound like the SU of the old. Idk if it’s the new tubas or baritones, but something is off about SU.

Top two bands this season have been JSU and Dega.

OLD SU sound is the 80s and early to mid 90s. Dega sounds nothing like that. BTW, the older SU band alums like the sound Taylor and Simmons are doing right now. My old trumpet section leader and frat who is Fall 81 was impressed by the sound and arrangements this year. And he aint easy to impress. So in our minds. It aint off. Maybe for the newer school folks.

What in the world are you smoking to concoct a crazy thought like this? Talladega is SU influenced, but sound nothing like us. All those years of listening to Bama State must have destroyed your musical ear. lol

What in the world are you smoking to concoct a crazy thought like this? Talladega is SU influenced, but sound nothing like us. All those years of listening to Bama State must have destroyed your musical ear. lol

Idk what’s going on now but when I was in the band in 06 we smashed y’all

Dega doesn't sound overall better than any swac band on 60% of what they play. They are too far out of tune within the ensemble. Their articulation is comparable. Their tone quality and intonation though...no. Against the Ocean the only thing they would have going is power, trumpet presence and ballads but they hit too many wrong notes.
And again they do NOT sound like su. They actually play more blocked chords in the trombone section than su does or has. For so many fans of su, do people actually pay attention to anyone but su or at least pay attention to what su is playing? No hbcu marching band is doing rocket science arranging but tune your ears, please. And that isn't a knock on Talladega. If they cleaned it up, they'd sound great. Maybe the actual horns are an issue but I constantly hear wrong notes even when they open up. That's why it sounds rough even when they tongue attacks.

Dega doesn't sound overall better than any swac band on 60% of what they play. They are too far out of tune within the ensemble. Their articulation is comparable. Their tone quality and intonation though...no. Against the Ocean the only thing they would have going is power, trumpet presence and ballads but they hit too many wrong notes.
And again they do NOT sound like su. They actually play more blocked chords in the trombone section than su does or has. For so many fans of su, do people actually pay attention to anyone but su or at least pay attention to what su is playing? No hbcu marching band is doing rocket science arranging but tune your ears, please. And that isn't a knock on Talladega. If they cleaned it up, they'd sound great. Maybe the actual horns are an issue but I constantly hear wrong notes even when they open up. That's why it sounds rough even when they tongue attacks.

After the way the jukebox sounded against UAPB y’all can’t be saying anything about how another band sounds..

That was probably the worst I’ve EVER heard SU

You're nuts lol. Dega sounds better than Texas Southern, Valley and Bama State easily. And there are more to be honest but i'll just stop there. If we're being real, the only thing TxSO has going for it is their euphoniums. Nearly everything else over blows at times. The trumpets are basically invisible. Let's be real here lol. Same way Miles sounded better than Alcorn when they played a couple years back. That SWAC stuff doesn't mean anything, every band in the swac does NOT sound good. And they certainly dont all sound better than dega. And I don't even like dega like that but real is real. Sound wise, the only bands that really stand out are JSU, AAMU and SU IMO. Well I forgot about PV.

It's a sad day in the band world. When people just make crazy comments. But one thing I have notice is people tend to judge SU more then any band.

This by far is one of the best sounding SU bands in years, yet because SU is not blowing the seats of the stadium, and has a more control sound, SU band is bad. Lmaoooooooo
Recently I had a chance to view the SU vs Alcorn game and what I found is that again, because SU, wasn't blowing the stand down, or playing uptempo music and Alcorn band was loud etc, SU has no book, they have no sound.Yet I went listen to the Alcorn and JSU match up and Alcorn sounded the same, and the first thing out of people mouths were how bad they sounded, the arrangements are horrible etc..

So I have come to the conclusion is that 1. People better get used to the new SU sound,I think Taylor and Simmons are perfecting and developmenting the new sound.
2. If you are louder then SU, then SU band loses and they have no book.

It's a sad day in the band world. When people just make crazy comments. But one thing I have notice is people tend to judge SU more then any band.

This by far is one of the best sounding SU bands in years, yet because SU is not blowing the seats of the stadium, and has a more control sound, SU band is bad. Lmaoooooooo
Recently I had a chance to view the SU vs Alcorn game and what I found is that again, because SU, wasn't blowing the stand down, or playing uptempo music and Alcorn band was loud etc, SU has no book, they have no sound.Yet I went listen to the Alcorn and JSU match up and Alcorn sounded the same, and the first thing out of people mouths were how bad they sounded, the arrangements are horrible etc..

So I have come to the conclusion is that 1. People better get used to the new SU sound,I think Taylor and Simmons are perfecting and developmenting the new sound.
2. If you are louder then SU, then SU band loses and they have no book.

volume wise, yall are the same.

there was a certain unique ness to SU's sound. Now, if you close your eyes and didnt know you were listening to an SU clip, yall sound just like everyone else now.

LOL!! Sic 'em atlhornet, sic 'em!!! Hahahaha!!!

SU think folks are hating when you arent being a groupie.

they dont have it anymore.

I can close my eyes and tell if im listening to a JSU, Dega, Cookman or Norfolk clip. cant do that with SU anymore

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I am.just shock.. NVM.. I am not, another band has something say about SU, but yet ASU program is becoming the laughing stock of ALABAMA, ........ ARE YOU seeing what they are saying about the program, YET you starting threads about SU..

Somebody is full of it, is it some of you on this board or the majority of favorable comments in favor of TSU at the end of this video where Taladega and TSU are playing.

Hasaan Austin
2 years ago
Txsu got that battle mentality

xRere1201
2 years ago
i like alcorn's arrangement of can't feel my face. it just sounds so more collegiate

CoolGuyDRE
2 years ago
TxSU with the win!!! I loved that second song they played

Daniel Owens
2 years ago
Texas Southern trumpets eating like hell on second song... that's Ocean I like to hear

Mahthias Fountain
2 years ago
TSU for the W! Their trumpets are straight FIRE!

ReallyRackzEmpire
2 years ago
Texas Southern is smashing!! This coming from a #Juke... They going in lol

William Vance
2 years ago
Txsu takes it all day!!! I'm disappointed with dega mane

J.Nev
2 years ago
Txsu Got Some Sound For That Size .

Ty Jones
2 years ago
Is it just me or did Talladega sound terrible.. I used to like their sound but that was ummm..

Last edited:
Back