SWACs fastest man?

What about this guy?
payton25.jpg

payton9.jpg

payton5.jpg

payton3.jpg

JR.

Nolan Smith played with TENN ST. KR/ WR DRAFTED IN 1967
TO THE CHIEFS 6-156 (DID HE LEAVE JSU AND HEAD TO TSU AFTER JOHN MERRITT TOOK OVER THE HEAD COACH POSITION).
YES, HE COULD FLY TOO.

JSU TIGERS

WILLIE RICHARDSON , DRAFTED IN 1963 TO THE BALTIMORE COLTS 7TH ROUND

GLOSTER RICHARDSON SE-FL, 1967 PLAYED WITH THE CHIEFS
(1ST YEAR.) NO RECORDS INDICATED THAT HE WAS DRAFTED.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by SoloMan
JR,

Willie Richardson played with the Baltimore Colts, three of his brothers played at JSU also. I believe that Gloster Richardson played with the Chiefs.

Who is your father?

Yeah Solo Man,
Gloster played with KC with Otis Taylor(PVU), Ernie Ladd(GSU), Buck Buchanon(GSU), Willie Lanier(Morgan State) and Nolan Smith(JSU). Talk about your HBCU all -star team. I am sure there were others. Hank Stram was the man back then.

Solo Man,
My dad played there in 62 and 63. He was a RB. JSU had a stable of them back then. So Pops was didn't see alot of action. John Merritt was the coach back then. Those early 60's, JSU was a powerhouse.

JR,

Help a brother seeking some light and knowlwdge.

How many years did Nolan Smith play @ JSU?

According to the front office of the CHIEFS. the bro.
played @ TSU from 1963--1966.
If so, he had to play for @ least 6- 7 years.

(.-.)

Prince Hall,
I will have to do some checking. I knew Nolan Smith went to JSU doing my Pops time there. He had too at least both of them acted like they played together. All their stories seemed to run together anyway. I would be able to answer that better by asking my dad, but he has been deceased since 96. But thing is Nolan's son is older than me by 2 years, so I know Nolan Sr was at JSU until Merritt left for TSU. I don't know what the eligibilty deal was back then. Also Nolan Sr may have went to the military and came back and went to TSU. Nolan Jr is a career Navy man right now. I'll email him and see if he can share some light and then post later on. Maybe my Dad's best friend can help me on that question. He also played at JSU and is active member of the Blue Bengal Association. I know all these guys were around the same age, because all us kids went to HS together. Hey now that I think about it Nolan probably played at JSU in 62 then went to TNSU from 63-66 and got drafted in in 67. So it's possible he played 5 years total. I'll be back with the right info. It's about as confusing as when Deacon Jones played at Valley then went to SC State.

I don't the exact number but quite a few players left with Merritt in 1962 for Tenn. State which is why the two school did not play each other from 1963 thru 1975.

I recall Lem Barney talking about this once during one of BET broadcast. If I remember correctly one of the names he mentioned was Leslie "Speedy" Duncan as one of the player who went to Tenn. State with Merritt. His name suggests that he could fly.

Originally posted by Blacknbengal
What about this guy?
payton25.jpg

payton9.jpg

payton5.jpg

payton3.jpg

Payton wasn't a speedster. But if you wanted to start a thread about the toughest dude to ever play the game, then he would be a good one to start with.

Despite all the yards he gained in the league, I will always remember the show he put on against GSU his senior year when we held him to around 50 or 60 yards. All you heard all day was, "Git him, Git him, Oh Isht don't let him go". Payton was awesome that day and he only rushed for around 50-60 yards.

Anyone at the stadium that day should have left a little donation when they left cuz we say a game and a half. I don't mind saying it, he was the best we ever played against (even better than the Great Jerry Rice).

Originally posted by Blacknbengal

Spencer Douglas racked up some yardage. He was alright in the backfield, but it was that line that kept us off him. THAT DAYIUM BOX WAS HELL!!!!:mad: I could not touch nobody in that backfield. I never saw the box ran like that before or after I saw it ran by SI. You guys knew how to operate that box. After playin you guys, I wanted our coach to run it. But, all he was interested in was "Viking sweep left, Viking sweep right". His "bread and butter, baby".:redhot: :(
Tell the truth. You all knew where we was going, didnt you?

Bean,

You were lucky...Spencer would have hurt you. I played in the 70's and watched all the good tailbacks that played at Sicily Island. In terms of pure physical ability (speed, size, toughness, and just down right cockiness), Spencer was the best tailback to play out of the box.

I remember when he rushed for 206 yards against Ferriday in the jamboree. You know dem Trojans used to wreck havok on defense.

JR,
According to my source, Nolan graduated from BRINKLEY IN 1963.He is retired and currently posted in JACKSON. (WATKINS Dr.)
Hope to get some info from Dr. Walter Reed. However, Ralph Boston revealed that HINES &HOLMES WERE NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH.@ any rate thanks for your info and data.

Some of you SWAC FOLKS reminds me of A BLACK THINK TANK.

HANG N THERE AND KEEP IT LIVE.

Originally posted by MikeBigg

Bean,

You were lucky...Spencer would have hurt you. I played in the 70's and watched all the good tailbacks that played at Sicily Island. In terms of pure physical ability (speed, size, toughness, and just down right cockiness), Spencer was the best tailback to play out of the box.

I remember when he rushed for 206 yards against Ferriday in the jamboree. You know dem Trojans used to wreck havok on defense.

Yeah, he was solid like Bo Jackson! But, I would have laid that dayum thang on him. :D (Dont put nobody above me.) I remembered that game against Ferriday. Ferriday could not stop him. He was running like a loose chicken on that field and all I could do is think: "Dayum! We have to face this?!":eek2: :( Yeah, Ferriday was a giant brought to his knees that night. That was a real "reality" check for them and a nightmare for the rest of us.

Back