SWAC Statement on Alabama A&M / Jacksonville State / OVC Scheduling Issue

Ralph

Resident, FCSland
SWAC Statement on Alabama A&M / Jacksonville State / OVC Scheduling Issue
Southwestern Athletic Conference Media Relations, Wallace Dooley

Upon review of the football scheduling issue between Alabama A&M University and Jacksonville State University, the SWAC Office supports Alabama A&M University's decision to cancel the agreement. It is unfortunate that the issue could not be resolved in a manner that satisfies each institution.

The Southwestern Athletic Conference Office is very disappointed in the way the Ohio Valley Conference Office, and in particular Commissioner Jon A. Steinbrecher, decided to publicly address the situation. A professional courtesy call by the Ohio Valley Conference Office to the Southwestern Athletic Conference Office would have been appropriate before the demeaning and scathing memorandum recommending a boycott was sent. Any possibility of resolving the issue ended with the public circulation of the memorandum.

It is our understanding that the agreement has a remedy clause. Alabama A&M University plans to abide by the remedy clause and will look forward to a competitive and exciting 2004 football season.

Robert C. Vowels, Jr.
Commissioner, Southwestern Athletic Conference

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Do you?? I mean, these are the same clowns that let us play 9 game schedules where two don't count . A rule that came down regardless of limiting SWAC non-conference games and conference exposure. This is the same conference that allows a 3+4 rule but then goes out and says but if you want to play teams not on rotation, then play them. :confused:

The SWAC does not care about schedules. PERIOD. We could all play D2 an NAIA teams, club teams, D3 teams, etc and the SWAC office would support it. I am not surprised that they supported this.

TP,

Our school administrators had much to do with that asinine 9 game mandate. The SWAC office statement in regards to this situation is a correct one. AAMU can play whomever they please. AAMU played by the rules and the OVC commissioner is looking quite puerile at this juncture.

Originally posted by mighty hornet
so TP,
what should have been the SWAC's position regarding the A&M/Jxville matter?

MH,

I gave him more credit than this (live & learn).

Im so surprise Vowels had the professional courtesy to make a statement. Im sure those arent his words...his admin must have issued that statement without his knowlegde.

When you are as dumb as the unofficials in the SWAC office, things like statements does not come natural.

So the OVC should have contacted the SWAC to let them know that A&M wasnt professional enough to let them know that they werent going to play a football game? Hhhhhhmmmm?

And that would have done what?

Im sure the idiots in the SWAC office dont answer their phone either.

Tigerpride,

Shaking My Head!! You comments are immature and silly. It is easy to tell that you do not have any interest in discussing the issue at hand with any seriousness. It takes a weaker individual, in my opinion, to mix a totally different subject in pushing their agenda items or displeasure on a totally different subject.

Two different issues.

While, I totally agree with you that the conference needs to review the conference 9 game mandate and I understand your frustration. I believe there is a better way to address it.

Now back to the subject. I agree it was easy to see that SWAC Commissioner Vowels would agree with the position of Alabama A & M University because it was obvious to anybody that read they story that Alabama A & M University abided by the contractual agreement when they bought it out.

Honestly I am suprised that he do not push the item any further by requesting the SWAC to boycot the OVC. I would guess it may be of the opinion that it would be a disservice to the SWAC to issue such a mandate. In my opinion, he actually took the high road on this issue and said let's move forward, as a conference on other agenda issues and items.

so TP,
what should have been the SWAC's position regarding the A&M/Jxville matter?

MH,

Again, I am surprised that they responded and I am sure that they only responded because they were "punked" into doing so.

They should have responded in support to AAMU but at the same time, they should also send a note to AAMU about professional courtesy. Sure it happens all of the time but to break ties with a school an hour away is bad business. If someone in the SWAC office hits their head and realize how dumb this SWAC mandate is, I really hope that J-Ville State refuses to kick their azz for the next 20 years and they end up paying expenses to play a PWC in Tx or VA or somewhere.

And JRock, sure this came from support of our presidents but a SPORTS commishioner should have enough integrity to uphold what is right athletically. I would never go to my boss and say, "Hey, take me off of these type of projects because they are too hard. Give me some easier ones". Any Boss would reject such a cowardly offer. Anything stupid that goes on in the SWAC is Vowels fault.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
It takes a weaker individual, in my opinion, to mix a totally different subject in pushing their agenda items or displeasure on a totally different subject.

I will ignore your insults but the issues are related.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
MH,

Again, I am surprised that they responded and I am sure that they only responded because they were "punked" into doing so.

They should have responded in support to AAMU but at the same time, they should also send a note to AAMU about professional courtesy. Sure it happens all of the time but to break ties with a school an hour away is bad business. If someone in the SWAC office hits their head and realize how dumb this SWAC mandate is, I really hope that J-Ville State refuses to kick their azz for the next 20 years and they end up paying expenses to play a PWC in Tx or VA or somewhere.

And JRock, sure this came from support of our presidents but a SPORTS commishioner should have enough integrity to uphold what is right athletically. I would never go to my boss and say, "Hey, take me off of these type of projects because they are too hard. Give me some easier ones". Any Boss would reject such a cowardly offer. Anything stupid that goes on in the SWAC is Vowels fault.

Precisely....Go TP

There is something about having a little INTEGRITY.

They should have responded in support to AAMU.

there, you said it.

btw, as far as this "integrity" stuff, seems that some of us have decided that regardless of what the A&M officials are saying, they're lying, because D.Whiteman is saying something differently.
So, of course, D. Whiteman is right.
get a grip people!

Kudos to the SWAC for that statement.
:tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MH,

I am going by what Martin said. He made the decision based on revenues but I want to know if AAMU and Savannah State are going to have a home-home?? If so, hmmmm.

MH,

I am going by what Martin said. He made the decision based on revenues but I want to know if AAMU and Savannah State are going to have a home-home?? If so, hmmmm.

The answer is no..... the official schedule was released today.... AAMU and Savannah State are playing again in the CSRA Classic in Augusta, GA again. The Classic usually has Savannah and Morris Brown, but AAMU has taken MO B's place since it doesnt field a football team.

Tigerpride,

Shaking My Head!! You comments are immature and silly. It is easy to tell that you do not have any interest in discussing the issue at hand with any seriousness. It takes a weaker individual, in my opinion, to mix a totally different subject in pushing their agenda items or displeasure on a totally different subject.

Two different issues.

While, I totally agree with you that the conference needs to review the conference 9 game mandate and I understand your frustration. I believe there is a better way to address it.

Now back to the subject. I agree it was easy to see that SWAC Commissioner Vowels would agree with the position of Alabama A & M University because it was obvious to anybody that read they story that Alabama A & M University abided by the contractual agreement when they bought it out.

Honestly I am suprised that he do not push the item any further by requesting the SWAC to boycot the OVC. I would guess it may be of the opinion that it would be a disservice to the SWAC to issue such a mandate. In my opinion, he actually took the high road on this issue and said let's move forward, as a conference on other agenda issues and items.

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Originally posted by BgJag
Post it.:idea:
Alabama A&M completed its 2004 football schedule on Thursday with the addition of Savannah State.

The Bulldogs and Tigers will meet in the 12th annual CSRA Classic in Augusta, Ga., on Oct. 16. This will be the second straight year the teams have met, with A&M winning 41-0 last year.

The CSRA Classic will be one of three classic games A&M will play in this fall. A&M faces Tennessee State in the John Merritt Classic in the season opener for both teams on Sept. 4 and will take on Alabama State in the 63rd annual Magic City Classic at Birmingham's Legion Field on Oct. 30.

"We've got another very competitive schedule," A&M coach Anthony Jones said. "We open the season against two very good football teams and it'll get tougher and tougher as we go. Every team on our schedule will be better than they were last year, so we have to improve as well.

"The stretch run will be difficult with Alabama State, Jackson State and Alcorn State. Hopefully, we'll be in a position by that time to control our own destiny in terms of winning the Eastern Division and getting back to the SWAC Championship Game."

A&M will host Grambling in its home opener on Sept. 11 and Mississippi Valley State comes to town on Sept. 18.

Tigerpride,

Shaking My Head!! You comments are immature and silly. It is easy to tell that you do not have any interest in discussing the issue at hand with any seriousness.

That has been obvious for quite some time now. He and GR are doing their best to turn this into a smack topic...as they often do.

:smh:

there, you said it.

btw, as far as this "integrity" stuff, seems that some of us have decided that regardless of what the A&M officials are saying, they're lying, because D.Whiteman is saying something differently.
So, of course, D. Whiteman is right.
get a grip people!

Kudos to the SWAC for that statement.
:tup:

No MH,

some of us have decided that by looking at the statements from the officials on both sides.

1.) Since J'vlle St. needs a home there was (or should have been) an opportunity to rearrange/reschedule the AAMU so that they could still be able to play in the JMC. Thereby saving the money from the remedy clause as well as gaining the guarantee from the JMC (plus-plus). It's called negotiation. From statements from both sides I don't see where that occured. Now if J'vlle St. had refused and would not allow them to play a fellow conference member as well, then by all means. F 'em, do what you must. That's what the clauses are for.

2.) The statement from the AAMU AD as well as some AAMU posters on this board dealt with the fact that J'vlle St. did not bring any of their supporters to H'vlle while AAMU was setting attendance records for them. It is not J'vlle responsibility to make AAMU money. AAMU went there to support their team, so if J'vlle is afraid to come support theirs, that's their problem! That should mean more tickets for AAMU faithful. Why unless you are the Mayor of H'vlle would you care how many visitors are coming to your game. I would rather have 10K fans than 8K home and 2K visitors.

Now IMO, if this was based on poor officiating, being treated poorly as guests, (meaning the way they treat the team and officials of the Univ.) or something of that nature, then back out. If you're afraid to play, for some reason back out or push back until your team matures, but don't back out because they don't bring any fans!! :rolleyes: I mean what are they doing planning tea parties for the J'vlle folks and nobody shows up so they lose money?? c'mon now.....

As for the SWAC office, :tup: but really at this point that is all they could do. You definitely have to support your member.

Jafus, I think a retaliation by the SWAC would be totally ridiculous. We took the high road and there's no reason to stoop to their level.

Bengal,
My "integrity" remark was to GR and TP, who hopped on this thread insisting that it just had to be the A&M AD who didn't demonstrate "professional courtesy".

as far as A&M juggling their schedule in order to give Jxville a home date, I would ask, why should they?

There was a buyout and they exercised it. Simple as that.

not the first time a buyout has happened, won't be the last.

But the dynamics in this one is different. :idea: And we see how it's playing out. A conference commissioner taking underhanded potshots.

I shole won't be crying for Jxville

Back