Swac Posters What Are We Doing To Help And Save Our Black Males??/

PRINCE HALL

Great read here ,and I hope that we cal all assist with trying to assist our future leaders.

" WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?

----JANET JACKSON

Words of advice for a young, black male

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BILL MAXWELL, Times Columnist
St. Petersburg Times
October 16, 2002

SAN ANGELO, Texas -- A few days ago while I was shopping for groceries, a young African-American teenager and his father approached.

"My son says you're Bill Maxwell, the writer," the man said, his tone suggesting doubt.

When I nodded affirmatively, the boy shouted, "I told you!"

The father, an airman 1st Class stationed at Goodfellow Air Force Base in San Angelo, shook my hand and said he had wanted to meet me. He had read my columns about black children and liked them. His son, a ninth-grader, is performing poorly in school and has "fallen in with the wrong crowd."

He wanted to know if I had advice for his child. The boy rolled his eyes and leaned back, signaling he did not want to listen to the bromides of a gray-haired stranger. The father also rolled his eyes, signaling to the youngster that his negative attitude was showing.

To make a long story short, the father invited me to eat lunch with him and his son at a Mexican restaurant. He wanted me to talk to the boy, who stayed in trouble in and out of school.

"You're a writer and a professor," the father said. "Maybe he'll listen to you."

The boy rolled his eyes as I began what has become my sermon to all black children, especially males, struggling with self-identity, peer pressure and parental expectations. I am summarizing what I said because some of it may be useful to other young people:

In all public settings, black males need to realize that they are being watched constantly, that they are rarely invisible, that they are judged by how they play out a host of negative stereotypes. The questions become: How do you want to be perceived? Do you want to be accepted in this environment? How do you want to be treated? And, of course, do you have any control over what happens to you?

Many black males see themselves as victims of a world filled with arbitrary adult rules. Indeed, society is rule-bound. At the risk of oversimplification, I believe that each person either chooses to obey or disobey the rules. Life is much easier and more enjoyable when we obey time-tested rules.

"Obeying rules gives you power over your life," I said. "If you want to be accepted and treated well, you must act appropriately in any given circumstance."

The boy said he wanted to fit in with this black friends. I sensed his confusion and earnestness. Who does not want to fit in with one's peers? Children must learn, however, when to draw the line, when to recognize that certain ideas, behaviors and acts are negative and yield negative, self-destructive results. Black males, especially, should avoid the negative. The very notion that being smart equals acting white, for example, is a sure path to failure and rejection in a culture that relies more and more on accountability and performance.

African-American boys should learn how to say no -- not merely in word but in action. From my work with young people through the foundation I am associated with and through teaching, I have learned that standing up and refusing to follow the negative wishes of the crowd often becomes a source of inner strength that builds self-confidence.

If the group wants to skip class or play a video game rather than complete homework, refuse and tell your pals why you refuse. I have seen children in our foundation turn their lives around for the good by standing up for themselves, by holding firm to the positive.

Racism is a major problem for black children, especially males. It has caused many youngsters to hate themselves and to hate others. The self-hating child believes that he is inferior to others, especially to whites. Here is a piece of wisdom my grandfather, the preacher, taught me: "You're inferior only when you let people make you inferior."

Look inside yourself and find the good whenever others paint you negatively. You are never devoid of goodness. Recognize that goodness, and let it guide your thoughts and actions.

When I was his age, I told the teen, I wanted to be a writer. My friends, along with some grown people, told me that migrant farm workers were too dumb to write. I knew they were wrong. Why? Because I secretly wrote every night no matter where we were in the country. I was told that migrants did not attend college. Although we could barely feed ourselves sometimes, I knew I would attend college.

"I looked for the good and the positive inside myself," I said. "I'm not inferior. I'm as good as anyone else."

I have no way of knowing how much of my sermon got through to this youngster. But I do know this: He was leaning forward, and he was not rolling his eyes when I finished.

I am getting a degree, I plan to give back to this university, and I will give back to the neigborhood, I'll set an example, and I'll stay involved in what's going on in my neighborhood.

Well, the Mrs. and I are adopting a little boy (a 3 year old black male) on next Wednesday. It's really an exciting time for us. We know we have some work ahead because we found out right before we got the paperwork rolling on the adoption that the "Mrs" was pregnant. So we are gonna go from having no children in our house to having 2 children here in a matter of 4 1/2 months (the baby is due in March.) I'm already "dreading" the thought of those dirty pampers. LOL.

But the little boy we are adopting will be our first child and we are hoping, by the Grace of God, that we can mold him into a proud black male that respects his people and very importantly, respects black women.

I am also working with an organization in starting a mentoring program and I am also a Big Brother to a black teenager that I really enjoy spending time with in my City. All of this, I do to try and do my part in saving our black males.

I have a zillion things going on.

I am very involved in the community I live in and the community where I grew up in my hometown.

Just tonight I went to the juvenile detention center and played games with the male detainees. I had a group of 13 males, ages 10-17. I brought the game Win, Lose, or Draw. Believe it or not, none of them had ever played it before. They had heard of it but never played. I chose the words they would have to draw based upon things that would be viewed as positive. Many of them complained at first that they couldn't draw but once we got started they were all volunteering to be the drawer. Before we ended they had all drawn at least twice. They had a good time and were begging me to come back again soon. I love to go and let them see a young, professional just having a good time with them and not just coming to fuss at them. They need to be exposed to positive ways to have fun. When they are on the streets everything is so hard core for them.

I recently wrote a grant proposal and it was accepted. I'm going to do an etiquette program with 20, 5th grade students at an elementary school that is in one of the worst living areas. Etiquette is an area that is neglected when it comes to our youth. Not only will I teach them etiquette, but they will also get to put to use what they learn by going to extravagant restaurants, plays, symphonies, etc throughout the program. The restaurants will be of all food types, so they can be exposed to foods of different cultures.

I could go on and on. I could write a book on it. Community service is my life. I was born to serve and I enjoy it.:D

I'm so proud of you and your wife, GramFan. I applaud you for adopting a black male.:cool:

Thanks JSTUS. You're a sweet lady. And a very busy one, I might add. I also applaud you for your strong effort, especially you visiting those young males. Cross-gender mentoring is very important. I would venture to say that those young men probably aren't accustomed to being in an environment (outside of jail) where a woman such as yourself Is in the norm, Can command respect and at the same time Can be down-to-earth. Keep on keeping on.

Good Post

Prince Hall:

Thanks for posting this. I'm e-mailing this to many of my friends who have young children. I've told my oldest son many of the same things this writer says.

"I looked for the good and the positive inside myself," I said. "I'm not inferior. I'm as good as anyone else."

Carter Woodson in the "Miseducation of the Negro" made this same point in the book he authored long ago. He has other treasures in that book and its one that every black parent should require their child to read.

Regards.

Now we talk about how Black males need to do something. But you can talk all till blue in the face...but the question is when WE will listen. I say "we" becasue I am a black male but still. We already have two strikes agaisnt us in other peoples eyes. Why make a third one and be naive and have it go down the drain...

It all reflects the values that WE place on our children since birth.

Re: Good Post

Originally posted by Dr. Mac
Prince Hall:

Thanks for posting this. I'm e-mailing this to many of my friends who have young children. I've told my oldest son many of the same things this writer says.

Carter Woodson in the "Miseducation of the Negro" made this same point in the book he authored long ago. He has other treasures in that book and its one that every black parent should require their child to read.

Regards.

Dr. Mac, if there is one book that one needs to read it is Dr.Woodson's book. It was written about 70 years ago and is still relevant today.

Back