SWAC commissioner list down to five

Jag Voice

From the front of swacpage.com

Five finalists have been determined in the search of a new commissioner for the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

They are Roy Culberson, director of athletics at Jackson State University; Dr. William Lide, director of athletics at the University of Central Arkansas; Troy Matthieu, assistant superintendent of athletics at the Dallas Independent School District in Dallas, Texas; Dr. James Smith, former director of athletics at Tennessee State University; and Tom Seitz, director of athletics at Jacksonville State University.

SIAC commissioner Robert Vowels withdrew his name from consideration on Monday, and was considered to be a front-runner for the position according to sources.

No dates have been set as to when the finalist will be interviewed, but sources say a new commissioner could be named as early as August 1st.

Goooo Culberson!

Pulease pick Roy. As far as I'm concerned, he has no SWAC connection.

None of them really jump out at me as the one to take the conferance forward. I hate that Vowels withdrew, I think he could have had potential knowing he has a better view as to what it may take to run a conferance.

I checked 3 boards and Vowells name was mentioned prominately. His SIAC folks did not want him to leave. Something had to happen.

I had this sent to me this morning in a email.

http://www.annistonstar.com/sports/2002/as-college-0719-amuskewitz-2g19b2356.htm

Seitz in running for SWAC vacancy
By Al Muskewitz
Star Sports Writer
07-19-2002

JACKSONVILLE

The Southwestern Athletic Conference reportedly has narrowed the list of finalists for its new commissioner to five, and Jacksonville State athletic director Tom Seitz? name appears on the list.

According to The SWAC Page Network, an independent Web site that covers the SWAC, Seitz and South Alabama athletic director Joe Gottfried both were among 10 candidates off an initial list of 25 from whom the search committee sought additional information.

The Web site reported Seitz was among the top five Thursday.

Seitz confirmed he has been contacted by the conference, but gave no additional details into his candidacy, citing the unofficial nature of the source of the reports. SWAC officials could not confirm the report.

?I have been contacted by the office about the position,? Seitz said. ?At this time I haven?t been offered the position.?

He did not say if or when he would be interviewed. The Web site reported the new commissioner could be named as early Aug. 1.
If Seitz receives an offer and accepts the job, he would become the first white commissioner in the history of the conference of historically black colleges and universities.

The other reported finalists are Jackson State athletic director Roy Culberson; Central Arkansas athletic director Dr. William Lide; former Tennessee State athletic director Dr. James Smith; and Troy Matthieu, assistant superintendent of athletics at the Dallas (Texas) Independent School District.

Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference commissioner Robert Vowels, considered a frontrunner for the post, withdrew from consideration Monday.

Earlier this week, when the 10-man list was reported, Seitz said he didn?t believe he?d be one of the strong candidates for the position and Thursday said he ?hadn?t given it a lot of thought to this point.?

He declined to comment on his philosophy of job searches, calling it ?a personal and personnel issue.?

Seitz has said he has ?an interest in the conference or regional or national level of organizations.? His name has been linked to at least three openings since he became the Gamecocks? third full-time athletic director in April, 2000, a situation that has raised eyebrows and whispers within the JSU athletic department.

A source familiar with the SWAC search said Seitz made the top 10 because of his experience as a sports administrator, but added his name did draw a ?red flag? with the committee because it has surfaced in so many searches in such a short time.

In April 2001, Seitz turned down a lucrative offer to become executive director of the U.S. Rowing Association, citing personal reasons. Earlier this year it was reported that he applied for the athletic director?s position at Central Florida and the job of assistant commissioner for basketball operations at the Big XII Conference.

I knew Roy was going to make the cut. He talks a good game. But HBCU's is right. Culberson has no SWAC ties. He has not been at JSU long enough consider him one of ours. I feel like it is just a job to him.

Originally posted by 81Bulldog
The commissioner's list is down to four:

Jax State AD Seitz staying put
By Al Muskewitz
Star Sports Writer
07-26-2002

Jacksonville State athletic director Tom Seitz has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Southwestern Athletic Conference commissioner?s job.

Seitz reportedly was one of five finalists for the $150,000-a-year job based in Birmingham. He cited the upcoming start of a major athletics facilities project at the school and JSU?s 2003 move into the Ohio Valley Conference among his reasons.

?Things are really exciting here, and I just want to see that through,? he said Thursday. ?I?m really eager to see us do some things here.?

Seitz was attracted to the SWAC post for professional reasons and family interests.

Sources familiar with the search said interviews weren?t expected to begin until Aug. 19.

When did this positions salary go up so much?
Wasn't it in the high 80's before?

Originally posted by Fiyah

When did this positions salary go up so much?
Wasn't it in the high 80's before?

Frat, I am sure the SWAC had no choice to raise the salary of the commish. Pete, Doug and Coles all make over a 100k and how good does it look when the coaches make more than the commish. I mean I would not want that headache for just 80k. Hell Doc Greggs gets paid more than 80k. LOL. So I am sure they upped it over time to come close to the Football coaches and Presidents salaries. The problem is that our past commish didn't earn his keep. The salary is where it should be. But we need the right person who is worth the money and then some.

Back