SWAC Championship Game IV Attendance

C-LeB28

I hope I am wrong but I anticipate a crowd of 25K - 30K.

Why you ask? Gramblingnites are so furious of the Southern loss that they have seen enough for this season. I've noticed AAMU attendence has not been something for ESPN to take notice of so this is why I anticipate such a low turnout.

Again, like we've said in year's past. If it's not a "Southern vs Jackson State" matchup then Rudy made a bad decision.

What do you think?

Please remember this is a "Sports Board" thread!!!

I couldn't agree more. GSU and A&M will be lucky to draw that many. 25 K is being generous. Grambling can't even bring fans to their biggest game of the year....in state BAYOU CLASSIC, much less to Alabama. They don't support their team....and that's a shame. I figure A&M will draw about 10,000 fans and there will be about 4000 nuetral bodies there and then the 5000 GSU fans. They will do good to scratch at 20K. ;)

Any responses we give concerning low attendance will be construed as hateing by AAMU and Grambling fans, so why even bother.

The real question is why doesn't this game generate enough interest to guarantee a crown of at least 45K, regardless of who's playing? No one will argue that the attendance for a Su/JSU matchup would be much higher than the one we have now. How can you have an annual event that's supposed to showcase the SWAC that has fluctuating attendance. The Circle City Classic draws well regardless of which teams play. I'm cringing at the thought of a UAPB/Valley game.

The game will always draw more if AAMU or Bama St isnt in it... Fans from Bama St and AAMu are going to go to the game reguardless of who is playing... So you have those two schools plus whoever reps the EAST fans plus the West rep fans...

last year there were more AAMU fans at the Championship Game than Grambling had and GSU was playing Bama St.

I'm with you Kool-Aid.
The thing is that A&M and GSU fans know that too though (JSU-SU) would draw more any day... It only bothers me when they act like they don't know it. lol. The headquarters has got to come up with some kind of plan to get the game to the level you are talking about. I should sell-out every year....but that's gonna require alot from all 10 of our schools for that to happen.

But as for this year.....roughly 20,000 on a good day!

IMHO,

The Gram lost this weekend could have either effect. Maybe because now Gram is not a "shoe in" to win, more people may come out to see if AAMU can pull the upset and win their first SWAC title. Plus, you know Brugene is going to pass and Mathis will be coming. I am really thinking about making this game.

That big ole boy (Brugene) got some serious touch on that ball. His receivers need to make some plays. But, I would love to see Mathis & Ware bum rush & knock the heebeegeebees out of him a couple of times.

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
I'm with you Kool-Aid.
The thing is that A&M and GSU fans know that too though (JSU-SU) would draw more any day... It only bothers me when they act like they don't know it. lol. The headquarters has got to come up with some kind of plan to get the game to the level you are talking about. I should sell-out every year....but that's gonna require alot from all 10 of our schools for that to happen.

But as for this year.....roughly 20,000 on a good day!

if you aint going then dont complain. We went through the same BS with the basketball tournament... everybody that was complaining was people that DIDNT GO. DONT GO.... DONT COMPLAIN.

When you say Jackson State Vs. Southern. People come from all over the country to witness the swac 's best. These two schools are neck and neck with tradition, teams, and most importantly bands. J-settes vs. Dolls is always hyped and excited. If you other swac schools haven't notice. Last year JSU lead in attendance for division i-aa. I saw an article that listed JSU as the national attendance leader in odd number of years, (01, 99, 97, 95) because they have six to seven home games that are packed and SU has lead the nation in attendance during the even number years (02, 00, 98, 96). My dad is a swac referee and he said that all the referees try to work the SU/JSU clash. THey call it the clash of the titans.

Speaking of basketball, the swac's highest basketball tournament was in 1999 -2000, when JSU defeated SU for the crown. The tournament was in Biloxi, MS and both nights for the finals and semi-finals the crowd was 4,000 and 6, 000. Packed.

Originally posted by DAHILL

if you aint going then dont complain. We went through the same BS with the basketball tournament... everybody that was complaining was people that DIDNT GO. DONT GO.... DONT COMPLAIN.

No complaining, just honest facts about attendance. This game is a showcase for the conference as a whole, so we all have an interest in how popular it is.

Personally, I'd rather JSU go to the playoffs if they had a chance rather than the SCG.

Originally posted by Wonderwoman
When you say Jackson State Vs. Southern. People come from all over the country to witness the swac 's best.

OK, lets stop right there. You'd be better off just saying that people come from all parts of Baton Rouge and Jackson. That is where most of them are coming from. :rolleyes:

3 things....

1. Same Old G, where did the 2,000 or so GSU fans come from Saturday.

2. Wonderwoman, you are absolutely right. As a matter of fact. JSU has led the conf. in basketball attendence a few of the past years and its not even a major sport here.....so i dont understand the bball smack.

3. Dahill, I'm not going to the game, because my team is not playing in it. That is why I said...."the headquarters need to come up with a plan to get it to the level you are talking about." I said it should be a sell-out every year...but with the current format.......I have no interest in being in B-Ham on the 14th. It wasn't smack. My point is something should still make me want to come to the SCG....there is nothing though.
:rolleyes: .

folx just get offensive (intimidated) when they see JSU and SU in the same sentence....smh. NO SMACK...COLD HARD FACTS....JSU - SU drew the largest crowd so far....and it will always be that way. Its common sense really....we have the 2 largest crowds so its natural. I just think the conf. needs to have a plan for years like this when the 2 schools involved don't have large fan bases.

I'm so tired of people thinking that Jackson State and Southern are the only two teams in the SWAC that can draw a crowd. The Magic City Classic (Bama State v. A&M), which drew over 55,000 this year in the rain had more people than the Capital City Classic and the game between Jackson State and Southern at the Superdome. The Magic City Classic usually draws well over 60,000, but this year it rained. I attended the SWAC championship game in 2000 and A&M's side was packed. It was Grambling's side that was empty. Why is everyone against the state of Alabama, and why is everyone against Birmingham? I swear, if heaven was in Birmingham, the majority of ya'll would try your best to go to hell. Realize that the major IA conferences have championship games, and I support the SWAC doing the same. Plus, Birmingham is showing the best hospitality for this game, like allowing use of Legion Field for basically nothing. Either support the game along with your conference, or shut the fug up!

Just face it bulldog, nobody likes alabama. The name itself sounds horrible and very racist. I have family members who support black college events, but when they hear alabama, honestly they don't like going to that horrible state.

Just face it bulldog, nobody likes alabama. The name itself sounds horrible and very racist. I have family members who support black college events, but when they hear alabama, honestly they don't like going to that horrible state. [/QUOTsmh

BF,

I think you misunderstood NoiseTalka and Kool-Aid's comments. AAMU and Bama State have a tendacy to lean to heavily on the attendance from the Magic City Classic. While it is a fact that you had the largest attendance this year, that's only one game. NT was simply saying that the SWAC needs to do a better job of getting other conference schools and B'ham locals more interested in the game.

The fact remains that when AAMU and Bama State are in the Championship Game, attendance should never be below 40k fans (20k from the AAMU/Bama State, 10 from the West representative and 10 from the locals).

Fact: The '99 JSU-SU Champsionship game had over 40k and only 5%of the fans were from the local area and conference schools.

Originally posted by Tiger Trail

Fact: The '99 JSU-SU Champsionship game had over 40k and only 5%of the fans were from the local area and conference schools.

I would say that figure is WRONG.... there were more from the local area and that is because BIRMINGHAM loves BANDS. People were coming because of the SWAC band highlight they had with a majority of all the SWAC bands.... Birmingham draws 45-50,000 for the annual high school BOTB that is annually.

Can it get any sadder for some of you?

Just face it bulldog, nobody likes alabama. The name itself sounds horrible and very racist. I have family members who support black college events, but when they hear alabama, honestly they don't like going to that horrible state.

That is absolutely one of the most stupid and idiotic posts I've ever read...and I've been reading tp's garbage on this board for over a year! Whatever point you were even attempting to make was nullified by this ignorance! :rolleyes:

A thread like this usually shows up about this time every year, and it is usually started by someone who's team is NOT GOING to the SCG! As they say on the band page.....NESS!

:smh:

Originally posted by Tiger Trail
That's a bunch of hogwash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCG I had a higher attendance because 1) It was something new and 2) the bands were there. So, fans showed up.
Don't flatter yourself into thinking anything differently.

The last 2 SCGs have seen the same team from the west, but the Alabama teams brought the fans.

And let me add of ALL the teams that have played in the game, ASU had the most folks there. And yes, that means more than the teams who played in the first SCG.

:smh:

Originally posted by mighty hornet

That's a bunch of hogwash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCG I had a higher attendance because 1) It was something new and 2) the bands were there. So, fans showed up.
Don't flatter yourself into thinking anything differently.

You can tell these folks that a million times, and they will insist that people came from Maine to Monterrey to see them. :smh:

Originally posted by SAME OLD G

OK, lets stop right there. You'd be better off just saying that people come from all parts of Baton Rouge and Jackson. That is where most of them are coming from. :rolleyes:
I agree 100%. Every person I met last weekend at the game was from Baton Rouge.

Just dropping in with my $0.02...

If I've said it once I've said it 4 times, speaking from a casual fan standpoint this event has to market itself. Honestly you ain't gonna get 50K black fans for a football game in December a week or two before Christmas. Just think about. Folks have this same convo about the Heritage Bowl (RIP), trying to blame it on ATL and the Pioneer Bowl (soon to be RIP, I don't think it'll work in Tampa)

The SCG needs to be an event, much like the SEC championship game. Here are my ideas on how to keep 40 - 50 K no matter who plays:

1. Secure corporate sponsors. The conference needs sponsorship, not just for the SCG but period. How many times are you watching a game on TV and you hear about the conference sponsor @ commericial. I never hear it on BET or MBC, a company may sponsor a game or Classic (i.e. State Farm) but you never hear "a proud sponsor of the Southwestern Athletic Conference"

2. Have a FanFair. There needs to be something to celebrate the rich history and tradition of the SWAC. We need to be introducing this to a new generation. There needs to be autograph sessions, and all that other interactive stuff that everyone else has. How about on Friday night @ the fair you have a flag football game between some old FB players in the East vs. some against the West?

3. Bring the Bands back. Like or not, the bands are the crown jewels of this conference. Yes we play great football, but people love the bands. I wouldn't suggest having it after the game, but the bands do need to be there playing a secondary role to the featured bands.

4. Activities for the students. Since only two schools can participate in the game, and we want everyone involved, there needs to be more for students to do. Greek shows, parties, job fairs for seniors, fashion shows, concerts and this stuff must be pushed @ the individual university level. Imagine a true SWAC Greek show, with the champions being the best steppers in the SWAC. This should be the last blowout before finals. There should be at least 3 buses of students from every school.

5. Activities for the Alumni. If we're celebrating the SWAC, we have to celebrate alumni and make it alumni friendly. There should be individual alumni parties as well as a huge one for everyone after the game. We also need activities similar to the students.

6. Have a preseason bball tournament. Take 4-6 teams (M &W) and let them play each other or SIAC folks, since they're close. So if nothing else you have some folks following their bball team although they didn't make the SCG.

These are just a few ideas if implemented correctly could boost attendance by 10-20K folks will travel but you have got to give them something more than just a football game in B'ham right before Christmas. Birmingham may be a nice city, but it really does not have that much appeal. Not trying to be mean, just stating a fact.

This same type of thing needs to be applied to the Bball tournament as well. Folks just ain't coming to B'ham for the sports of it. But if you build it and market it, they will come.

Great post Bengal E.

If we had those events going on, the SCG would truly be an event that folks would go to regardless of the teams playing.

Back