SWAC Boxing...I mean Baseball!

Basebone1898

In a Jimmy Lennon Jr. Showtime boxing voice, “It’s SWAC Time.”

The SWAC has 4 programs, SU, JSU, BCU and FAMU that bring 68 conference rings to the NCAA Table. Texas Southern, (who’s baseball team should change it’s nickname to the Warriors), never run away from a good ole fight for a title. GSU and PVAMU all have multiple conference tournament titles sitting around on campus know how to catch someone slipping. Others like Alcorn, Bama State, Valley, UAPB, have seen multiple divisional success.

In a conference that can compete with any division I conference when it comes to just plain swinging the bat, the defenses and bullpens as a conference will be very interesting to watch going forward. I know that we have seen many shades of skin in the HBCU baseball world in the past 20 years, but many of these historically winning programs should expect an African American boost in recruits very soon. I have no issues with the changes in the baseball culture if the SWAC, but the next few senior classes coming from many inner cities across the states have several children who have been apart many youth development programs filled with HBCU Alumni working with them. I truly see more black high school ball players coming home.

The Atlantic Sun, Colonial Conference, Horizon League, Metro Athletic Conference, Ivy League, Missouri Valley, Northeast Conference, Patriot League, Southland Conference, Southern Conference, Summit League and Western Athletic Conference all have company. The SWAC is officially a serious mid-major baseball conference. We need to get it on with all them to send messages to the Regional Brackets quickly!

We sometimes don’t get the best overall conference team representing the conference in the NCAA Tournament due to a Conference Tournament upset, but going forward, the SWAC Champion will definitely be a battle tested force to be reckon with. I am looking forward the this!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Oh yeah no doubt it will be fun.

Man, the SWAC tournament is going to be absolutely ridiculous for a while. I just hope it’s promoted well. As I stated above, the SWAC can swing the bats! Especially when the momentum shifts. We have seen teams go on serious rallies in one inning to come back from the dead in tournaments and regular conference games that decided someone’s fate. Now, the stable of pitching looks to be much stronger.

I really hope our schools schedule accordingly and take some road trips to these other mid majors/major minor programs in the upcoming seasons. I know we will see a few major programs,(and some will get upset), but our conference will definitely have the juice to have at least 4-6 teams to have great non conference records before SWAC Time consistently! Bro, can you imagine 6 SWAC teams in the Conference Tournament Bracket with 27+ wins on their records? I can easily see it. Hell, maybe even 8 teams.

I want us to challenge these Big South, Southland and others to some more battles. This is going to be a real deal baseball conference.

In the Warriors code, there is no surrender. That’s all we have ever seen from sTu baseball. Pretty records or ugly records, sTu baseball, (including their fans), come to the diamond ready for a war no matter how good or highly seeded their opponents is. In meaningful games, sTu is known for not going away after you take the lead. And please don’t let that tournament sTu crowd get into it! Lawd! Talk about mean and crazy! I have been in the other side of the dugout, not pretty! 😂

I talked with a former SWAC baseball coach yesterday and he talked about how strong the conf should be in baseball in the future. Also, the SWAC west champ won’t have an ‘easy’ game 1 in the tourney now. The East may be the tougher side now.
Also, this conf could eventually get an at large bid!! (provided all schools remove the D2 teams on their schedule)

Game 1 is never easy as your facing the ace of the worst team as that has been proven. Game two and three is where championships are normally decided

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I talked with a former SWAC baseball coach yesterday and he talked about how strong the conf should be in baseball in the future. Also, the SWAC west champ won’t have an ‘easy’ game 1 in the tourney now. The East may be the tougher side now.
Also, this conf could eventually get an at large bid!! (provided all schools remove the D2 teams on their schedule)
The East is going to be a monster and some new rivalries. JSU-FAMU and Bama St-BCU should be entertaining battles based on the styles of the programs. JSU and FAMU are both know for timely hitting and aggressive base running, and BCU-Bama St are known for Junk-Pitching and Power Hitting. Man, both BCU and Bama St will toss you an off speed pitch on a 0-0 count, 3-2 count, and turn around and blow it pass you on a 0-2 count if they can get down. Just nasty baseball on the mound.

As y’all can see, I am fired up. It’s going to be a blood bath in the NCAA Tournament.

I want to see these games take place as well. I love how the SU folks seem to be welcoming the competition. The Jaguars want the drama. This is going to be hype. BCU and FAMU take SWAC baseball to a different level. SU and JSU will now be joined by other big HBCU baseball powerhouses. The SWAC might get a chance to see more than 1 team in the Regionals with all of these traditionally good programs.

FAMU really struggled when they played SU in Pensacola after both won the conference tournaments. Matter of fact SU didn’t even pitch our top 2-3 pitchers, played different lineups, and blew them folks out.

Famu will be middle of the pack in the east as they’ve had moments but not BCU moments. A former famu coach is at Alcorn ironically

bcu will compete but half their dominance was that they could get games off faster while the rest of the meac needed months to thaw out. Big difference in baseball. All SWAC teams Have the same advantage pretty much.

The SWAC might get a chance to see more than 1 team in the Regionals with all of these traditionally good programs.

I don't see that happening unless you have 1 team that's head and shoulders above everyone else that have the record but loses in the tournament. When has a Swac team been anything other than a 4 seed in a region?

I don't see that happening unless you have 1 team that's head and shoulders above everyone else that have the record but loses in the tournament. When has a Swac team been anything other than a 4 seed in a region?

Your scenario could definitely happen. A more competitive conference results in more non-conference wins and better recruits. SWAC and MEAC teams have been at the #3 in the modern era of college baseball, but things can happen once the SWAC starts racking up more non conference wins and more attractive overall records.

Back