SWAC Basketball TV Package

Jag Voice

I'm sure this has been discussed before but what's the rationale of such a lousy national TV package for SWAC basketball in 2023-2024.

Below is my understanding of national SWAC games out of 100+ conference games.

4 on ESPNU

8 on HBCU GO

Other comparable conferences like MEAC and Southland have a lot more games on ESPN+.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but what's the rationale of such a lousy national TV package for SWAC basketball in 2023-2024.

4 on ESPNU

8 on HBCU GO

Other comparable conferences like MEAC and Southland have a lot more games on ESPN+.
Those other leagues you have to pay yourself to produce the games for ESPN+ - that's an extra few dollars going down the drain when it's easier to stream with limited equipment

ESPN doesn't need everything

Those other leagues you have to pay yourself to produce the games for ESPN+ - that's an extra few dollars going down the drain when it's easier to stream with limited equipment

ESPN doesn't need everything
That may be true but shouldn’t it be about giving our teams as much national exposure as possible. Love it or hate it, ESPN reaches a lot of households no

Also, I’m not talking about all of our games exclusively on ESPN but maybe at least 25 out of 100.

I just think the casual SWAC fan does not know about HBCU GO and will not pay $10 per game on each school’s site while they already maintain a $10 monthly ESPN+ subscription.

4 on ESPNU

8 on HBCU GO

There are 18 conference games and 12 of them are being broadcasted nationally. ESPN+ is just a streaming service and nothing more than that. Our schools can stream their own game without having to pay the extra production cost since most of our schools don't have that capability at this time.

There are 18 conference games and 12 of them are being broadcasted nationally. ESPN+ is just a streaming service and nothing more than that. Our schools can stream their own game without having to pay the extra production cost since most of our schools don't have that capability at this time.
Just curious, what do you mean when u say only 18 conference games? I’m talking about the total number of SWAC conference games, not the amount for each team.

Just curious, what do you mean when u say only 18 conference games? I’m talking about the total number of SWAC conference games, not the amount for each team.

18 games being broadcast nationwide

For as good as I think we do in football, our basketball coverage sucks especially when it comes to schools like Valley (only 1 home conference game since opening the New Gym).

I've pushed for a uniform standard on YouTube for years but the conference office apparently ain't listening so more schools have gravitated towards a pay model (including Valley) that I can't stand

Okay, I was just asking questions to my own peeps about the sudden charge and pay per view of Bball games. Yes I'm late to this conversation as well.

So this is a conference wide thing/deal going on? I'll just say that whatever is going on could have been communicated better. Otherwise a typical fan like myself is just lost in the the loop.

My real major gripe though is that I've got taken a few times by these pay to watch apps for schools whose games I've wanted to watch and support (in both college and high school).

Even with the ESPN deals, the whole thing is confusing as I've been at a lost in what I needed to subscribe to with my cable provider in order to watch the games I want to watch. It used to all be so simple.

In a nutshell, everybody is just trying to get over $$$ and us fans are the ones that pay more. But that is life for you at times...#itiswhatitis

Stop complaining and support these streams dammit. Our schools need it 😆 🤣.
Now bama state y'all need y'all arse be@t for having me pay for the women's stream and the men's stream separately 😆 🤣 😂 (wasn't gonna do the monthly membership/ the only other option).

There is usually only a game of the week and with there being 18 conference games per team, getting 12 of those as the National Game is not bad even with the Saturday/Monday set up.

So this is a conference wide thing/deal going on?

No because schools like TxSU are still free. Valley literally switched to pay against AAMU with no prior announcement

And I hate it even with my school involved because it's not better than a conference wide streaming network that is FREE paid for by sponsors. The commissioner alluded to going this route 3 years ago once they got the cameras but nothing has happened

AAMU is the only one that deserves to charge… AAMU uses about 10 different camera angles, real play by play not ”the homies, super fan, ghetto cousins”… it’s actually a professional production. Valley is close but the commentators are hit and miss… you either love them or hate them. Most of the rest use 1 camera going left to right the entire game. I subscribe to most of them in the SWAC… and most of these commentators are simply fans who really know nothing about basketball but how to cheer for their team.

No one is noticing that the ESPN's and the HBCU Go's of the world are pimping these schools. Look at it this way: They own your content and show you a limited amount of games. That's complete crap and a dumb contract. Tell me I'm wrong. Look at the numbers of the deal: Wait, they won't show you those numbers. Another example: Why does ESPN show the game on ESPN3, then turn around and make you pay again on ESPN+ for the halftime show.

I don't think they care about that as long as there are viewers to see their commercials

Glad you pointed this out

Like with football on ESPN, sponsors don't care as long as the eyeballs are there. Feel safe in saying that Valley probably has the most eyeballs on our channel so I don't see why they went to PPV (I do understand but not necessarily in favor of it)

As I've said for years, everyone needs to be on the same standard and build up the SDN. The sponsors will come

P.S. For the "ghetto cousins" comment above. When P5 schools praise your stream quality, I'll take that compliment anyway along with the thousands of eyeballs that generally watch our stream over the "great" camera angles and an announcer that doesn't know a Devilette from a Delta Devil

I don't think they care about that as long as there are viewers to see their commercials
Yes they do care, they care a lot. There is a direct relationship between attendance numbers and viewership.

That is tangible. They also like to scan the crowds. No network want to show a game that is being played at at empty arena.

Like with football on ESPN, sponsors don't care as long as the eyeballs are there. Feel safe in saying that Valley probably has the most eyeballs on our channel so I don't see why they went to PPV (I do understand but not necessarily in favor of it)

As I've said for years, everyone needs to be on the same standard and build up the SDN. The sponsors will come

P.S. For the "ghetto cousins" comment above. When P5 schools praise your stream quality, I'll take that compliment anyway along with the thousands of eyeballs that generally watch our stream over the "great" camera angles and an announcer that doesn't know a Devilette from a Delta Devil
They care, they care a lot.

I rather be unique than boring - it's basketball - the base is limited to begin with so you gotta do something to hold their attention - I don't need to see two guys with a suit try to over articulate and try to sound like some commentator cause their resume building

Dick vitale and bill Walton are no different and they're on the biggest platform

I'd rather pay to see two female midgets mud wrestling in thongs before I pay for SWAC basketball. It seems like all we do is shoot 3's. No one except one or two players even use the back boards for layups and the rest just be missing simple layups. At least the midgets entertain you.

Last edited:
I'd rather pay to see two female midgets mud wrestling in thongs before I pay for SWAC basketball. It seems like all we do is shoot 3's. No one except one or two players even use the back boards for layups and the rest just be missing simple layups. At least the midgets entertain you.
Mud wrestle you say? Female midgets? Sign me up!!!! Take my money.

Back