SWAC Baseball Tourney Live

I just got home from Day 1.

Baseball Scores

TxSU - 8
MVSU - 1 Final

JSU - 6
SU - 9 Final

JSU plays MVSU @ 11 AM tomorrow....Not sure of the time for the SU/TxSU matchup.

Softball Scores

PV - 3
MVSU - 5 Final

Valley wins on 2 run home run in bottom of the 7th.

AAMU - 0
SU - 1

SU wins on bases loaded fielding error in bottom of the 7th.

PV plays AAMU at 11 AM and SU and Valley meet at 2 PM.

BTW, Baseball USA has a very nice facility...I didn't think it was THAT nice...I was pleasantly surprised.

MR. s phi s,

Thanks for the info.

Could we interest you in a job as a SWAC sports information guy?

It's obvious they need help.

THAMES said:
MR. s phi s,

Thanks for the info.

Could we interest you in a job as a SWAC sports information guy?

It's obvious they need help.

LOL...No prob....Anyone attending day 2? I won't make it to Saturday's Championship games due to my graduation.

s phi s said:
BTW, Baseball USA has a very nice facility...I didn't think it was THAT nice...I was pleasantly surprised.

I told ya'll that the place got it going on. My son plays out there and the fields are immaculate. I'll be back out there tomorrow for the afternoon games. I wish all the games were in the evening though instead of late morning and early afternoon. Glad Houston Christian Academy wanted to play this afternoon which pushed the SU/JSU game to the evening slot. I had to dump my coaching responsibilities tonight so I could catch that game. I'll catch all of the games on sat too since my team doesn't have any more games this week.

For the Board (From Fiyah)

Texas Southern 8 Def Southern 7
(Solid Win for Texas Southern, Tough loss for the SWAC)
The would make the NCAA Tournament with a losing record

TxSU down 6-1,
TxSU Tied 6-6
Botton 7th TxSU 8-6
SU Top of 8th 8-7
TxSU 4 straight out with some tremendous fielding plays

Valley over Jackson State

Southern vs. Mississippi Valley tonight

Texas Southern in Championship Game and will have to lose two not win the SWAC tournament.

Would be first non SU, JSU, or GSU SWAC Tournament Championship

Note: #1 Southern was not the home team!

No score on the Softball games. (From Hassan)

Valley vs. Southern in Softball Championship tomorrow.

They are saying many Southern fans have left

Bottom of the 8th
Valley 5, SU 2
They had a bases loaded rally and could only manage 2 runs.

But, Mississippi Valley fans (Softball Girls) are cheering and dancing in the stands.

(From Hassan & Fiyah)

Mississippi Valley State 5, Def Southern 2

Pitcher struck out the side in the last inning!

Mississippi Valley State University vs. Texas Southern University for the SWAC Baseball Championship

A new SWAC team win their first baseball tournament championship in 2004.

Congrat to MVSU it looks like things might turn out as some predicted if they win. :tup:

Bluedog,

Congrat to MVSU it looks like things might turn out as some predicted if they win.

Intriguing. From the games played across the SWAC division lines between Jackson State, Alcorn State, Mississippi Valley State and Grambling State, Arkansas Pine Bluff, and Southern. I thought the Western Division has a leg up and was the strongest division.

So, while I was surprised that Texas Southern pulled the upset over Mississippi Valley State in the first game. I am even more surprised that people would have picked Valley to win it all. Especially, how they where playing late in the season. But, then again I suppose Southern was not playing as strong late in the season either. As I am sure you would agree that the close lost to Texas Southern was key.

Interesting viewpoint and comments.

Do you think that this will be a big deal in terms of SWAC baseball play over the next five seasons or so? or Do you view this as a small bump in the road of Southern's dominance in SWAC baseball inparticularly over the last several years?

Just Curious!!

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Bluedog,

Intriguing. From the games played across the SWAC division lines between Jackson State, Alcorn State, Mississippi Valley State and Grambling State, Arkansas Pine Bluff, and Southern. I thought the Western Division has a leg up and was the strongest division.

So, while I was surprised that Texas Southern pulled the upset over Mississippi Valley State in the first game. I am even more surprised that people would have picked Valley to win it all. Especially, how they where playing late in the season. But, then again I suppose Southern was not playing as strong late in the season either. As I am sure you would agree that the close lost to Texas Southern was key.

Interesting viewpoint and comments.

Do you think that this will be a big deal in terms of SWAC baseball play over the next five seasons or so? or Do you view this as a small bump in the road of Southern's dominance in SWAC baseball inparticularly over the last several years?

Just Curious!!
As I have stated before to you about this topic with serious discussion, if SU were to be beaten it would be this year. The entire infield was replace and what we lost in chemistry and experience could only be replace through time, trial and error. Remember this thread?

bluedog said:
First of all why not? They were the second best team last year and anybody that knows anything about baseball knew that they would be the ones to beat (other than su) for the crown.

Secondly maybe you need to remember what that hbcu stands for,they stop being black colleges a long time ago even though some still refer to them as that.
http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37435

Just Curious!!

At this point it's hard to really be sure. There is no doubt in my mind that Southern has the most talent, but as you can see, that doesn't alway mean a championship. Right now there really isn't much coaching going on at Southern. Arnold Braithwaite was a strong coach and overall presence and he was replaced by the guy that he had just coached the previous season. The loss of him can't be underestimated and the people that know how things are at Southern know what I mean (I mean the people that really do know what they are talking about). If the coaches buckle down and do their job, I think based on the talent levels this will just be a bump (there is a reason why Southern has produced so many draft choices over the last few years), but if the effort stays the same and they keep on relying on JUCO players to patch it up, you will see the same thing. PV's gonna be better, MVSU will be the same, and TSU has some talent so there will be competition.

In softball action at Baseball USA......(sorry...still in announcer mode....LOL)

In the loser's bracket (Game 3) AAMU defeated PVAMU, eliminating them from the tourney. Sorry, but I don't remember the score.

In the winner's bracket, MVSU defeated SU 6-4. MVSU rallied for 5 runs in the top of the 6th to steal the win from right under the Lady Jags.

In the final game, SU got a 2 run home run in the bottom of the 6th to pull ahead and win 2-1 over AAMU. This on was a pitcher's duel. SU's pitcher took a no-hitter to the 4th and AAMU's pitcher (Sloan) had a perfect game until the 5th (I believe). She struck out 9 of the first 12 she faced and ended (I believe) with 12 or 13 K's.

MVSU is in the driver's seat, and would have to lose to SU twice in order to lose the tourney.

As I have stated before to you about this topic with serious discussion, if SU were to be beaten it would be this year. The entire infield was replace and what we lost in chemistry and experience could only be replace through time, trial and error. Remember this thread?

that won't fly....we broke it down tonight....those backups got more game experience than some teams' starters last year due to blowouts....but they were putting up better numbers last year because SU had 4 guys to pitch away from so they saw some good pitchers...

thing is though, the SU talent level is very average with their young kids and it evens things out.....PV's freshmen class is way better and they got to contribute instantly with the JUCOs this season.....so next year, you got some sophmores with true experience in pressuire situations coming back along with the JUCOs in their second year. Then, you add more JUCOs and solid freshmen and you are rolling.

another SU weakness, no bullpen....hit their starter early, they are real vulnerable...If Jason Quarles was taught how to control the ball...1st round pick...he's a just a hard thrower with no finesse.

s phi s said:
In softball action at Baseball USA......(sorry...still in announcer mode....LOL)

In the final game, SU got a 2 run home run in the bottom of the 6th to pull ahead and win 2-1 over AAMU.

Actually that made it 3-2.......

It's been a great tournament over at Baseball USA, can't wait to watch more games tomorrow.

bluedog said:

http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37435
Good analysis bluedog. You simply can't replace 7 draft picks in one off season.

Hats off to MVSU. From what I saw last night, they are the best team standing right now and should win the SWAC this year

I didn't know there were any Jag posters there last night...(no smack) The SU fans were practically mute until they scored those 2 runs off of Valley. I was impressed with Valley yesterday. They seem to have a solid team with pretty good pitching.

As for Quarles, he has an arm, no doubt. I think he will be drafted SOMEWHERE. He needs to work on control though (I'm sure a decent pitching coach would help). He throws smoke (around 93-94 mph last night), but every time I have seen him, he was wild. He is a player that CAN dominate, but seems if you rattle him with a few hits or walks, he starts to lose it.
I could be wrong though.

Update: (John)

Baseball
Texas Southern 5
Mississippi Valley 0
Bottom of the 2nd

Valley had to make a pitching change to get out of the last inning after a 3 run homer.

Softball
Mississippi Valley State 3
Southern 2
6th inning

Back