Swac Band Review 2017-2018

Who had the best year in the swac this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THEESwacProphet

THEE SWACs Neighborhood Prophet
Time for all of our swac bands to face the hard truth as we review all swac bands as they head into offseason/parade season and how they all did this year to me. Also answer the poll and join in the conversation!

Alabama State

Summary: Alabama State for me had a better year this year from an arrangement stand point. They were small this year because clearly miles benefitted from recruitment this year in the state of Alabama for hbcu’s. They’ve started to be consistent this past season, however, I will need to see better next year from their sound and recruitment. They’re improved but still a good year away from being top 3 in the swac and crankfest invite worthy.... *hint,hint,hint* I would say they are the #2 best sounding band in Alabama from this past season, and I think as long as bands like Miles is dominating like they are Alabama State still has work to do.

Expectations for 2018-2019 season
⁃ increase in numbers since band got the rose bowl parade invite (should be focal point for recruiting)
⁃ Aggressive sound back now that balance philosophy has been the focus for the last 2 plus years
⁃ Need to really pull more arrangements out next year if they want to pass Miles.
⁃ Whoever wrote Location, meeting in my bedroom, and 444 keep writing please.

Overall Grade B-

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Alabama A&M

Summary: This year I thought Alabama A&M didn’t move up or down this year in the bands progress. When they had their battle with Texas Southern, I watched and said, “they can hang”, but we been saying they can hang with the elites since 2015 when the balance and musicality was attention worthy for this group. About the same numbers from last year give or take. Halftimes for me are different because they take a meac approach (forward , backward, and horns to the press box at all times high step marching). I like it but they need to put a entertaining flair in their drills because right now it’s really simple and I find myself getting bored of their shows. I would like to see Alabama A&M let this band go in the aggression department because they lowkey have had a solid trumpet section for some years now. I know it because when they do botb’s you can hear the trumpets bringing heat, but the rest of the band doesn’t match their intensity which really makes them sound vanilla sometimes.

Expectations for 2018-2019

⁃ stay at current numbers
⁃ Write more arrangements (it irked me to no end when they played most their book on meet the team day and didn’t write too much after their botb with texas Southern.
⁃ Let this band go in their ability to crank but keep the balance.... they show signs they can bring heat but it’s like they stay conservative and safe for musicality. I appreciate that but old school aamu looms in you alls history and your fans will remind y’all of how much they miss it.

Overall Grade: C+

Alcorn State

Summary: This was a huge let down year for me with Alcorn. They got cursed with the numbers bug. They were the biggest band in the swac and sound wise were being matched by smaller bands. The reason I say this was a backwards step off year for Alcorn is because they had the schedule and size to rule the swac this year. They had a chance to make a early statement against miles before Southern came to town and miles embarrassed them and southern toke their hearts in the zero. By the time they got to crankfest southern already had gotten in their heads and they only were able to play above talladega that day, which is beneath my expectations for Alcorn this past season. Their sound wasn’t too good. Trumpets sounded like they were in the parking lot because y’all got too many folks screaming and not enough playing 2 and 3 to cut through and balance out. Phrasing and breathing was a huge disappointment this year from Alcorn. They need to cut the fat next year and find that Alcorn we were raving about last year. They had moments this year but we expected domination so they fell short too me.

⁃ cut numbers down
⁃ Execution in phrasing and stagger breathing needs to be addressed.
⁃ Creativity for ALCORN too many times whether it was a promo video or halftime I was scratching my head because they were biting of someone else’s stuff.
⁃ Spread your trumpet parts out please...

Overall Grade C+

Grambling State

Summary: the sound is getting there gram. Trumpets were colorful this year and could be heard and “some” arrangements worked for me this season. My only question though gram is do your students enjoy playing those arrangements? Sometimes I hear energy in some songs that are not in others. I feel like gram needs to play tunes that the students can buy into because while their directors are dancing and smiling body language wise on some songs the students look like they want to play the last note before the song begins. Yeah gram halftime wise y’all’s ceiling has been reached. I need to see more next year or something different because it’s starting to become redundant.... “mama there go that band” , similar mid field drill, whole band dancing with dance team while playing(signature but mix it up), big ass base drum, gs...gs....gs...gs..... u u I thought... you get the picture gram. Good step up this year guys.

⁃ continue to focus on sound
⁃ Mix it up more with halftimes
⁃ Keep playing them zeros... they’re helping y’all with battling and song writing for bayou now

Overall Grade B-

Last edited:
Jackson State

Summary: this year was weird for the boom. Director changes... controversy in Charlotte that took away from a successful trip and that loomed over the booms heads and the band shrinking from 15 to present eye openly. A lot of questions that need to be solved this upcoming offseason from a staff perspective for jsu. They started out very slow earlier in the year. They sounded like they had in-house issues going on with band camp only being a week rather than two weeks long and then getting caught with their pants down verses tennessee State this year. The boom would pick it up and I admire little and company for taking what they had and making pure gold. Mellos and tubas were featured and arranged to compensate for a small trumpet section and smaller baritone section. I thought they did a good job of masking their weaknesses. As far as halftimes, the jabs and play on the floating jsu, new drills, and “rock the house jsu” were entertaining, however what killed jsu this season was trumpets disappearing and not being able to take breaks among 40 trumpets verses the 28 they had. Crankfest was the best execution, sound, arrangement, and selection performance of the year, which put them over the top with fans at crankfest. However at the boombox, I thought they ran out of gas after playing idgaf on Southern.

Last edited:
..... I could tell little and company weren’t fully prepared for an hr zero with Southern after idgaf it was like the battle was strategically planned to end there. Because they brought out old tunes and they lost it when Southern had more in the tank and put them in the coffin with family fued. Jsu badly desires an arranger. I hear a lot of students arrange some tunes for Jackson but Jackson misses out in ballads and learning how to sing through those instruments and not play so short when they do play ballads. I thought this group could’ve benefited from sampling Daniel Caesar’s latest album, but they didn’t. The boom also got lazy on me after Southern with their writing, song selection and execution. They still were miles better than Alcorn last game however lazy. Keep the boom this size maybe plus 30-35 people. A small boom is miles better than the 14-16 year additions.

⁃ faster songs for drilling at times y’all take slow tempos and it makes the drills drag
⁃ Keep trolling but be selective during halftimes. The jumbo tron stick is different but it got to be on point every time or it’ll look stupid and it’ll be predictable if done every time.
⁃ Continue to be innovative during halftimes.
⁃ Trumpfunk can we make an appearance next year please? I heard they already have a bunch returning and coming in so they should be stronger next year.
⁃ We need an arranger someone please hire that man johnson who wrote flight for the boom.

Overall Grade B+

Mississippi Valley

Summary: I thought after the 2013 season this group was striding in the direction but between that season to presently they have gone back to the drawing board on me yet again in their identity, their sound, and how they arrange. Now, I know about the tight budget and inconsistent interest at Valley. For one, I need Valley to start winning some games because the athletic budget over there is a joke and I’d like to see Valley have at least a proper enough budget to go to at least 2 away swac games. They desire exposure a lot. As far as this past season, I thought strides were made again in their sound and I heard a little pride this year. The group really loved to play humble by k-dot, but it still sounds like another two years of identity building again. I personally would like to see them go back to their corps style on the field and their 2013 sound but better controlled cause it would be very diverse and just the Valley brand. But man, it’s a 2 year project, and unfortunately that’s enough time for Valley to find a way to suddenly be back rebuilding again 2 years from now if they can’t keep a consistent staff their to build a foundation.

⁃ keep developing your sound
⁃ I’d like to see the ensemble at 150-160 I think that’s a perfect size for them.
⁃ Develop more arrangements like humble to get students interested and maybe turn some heads for interest.
⁃ Go back to that corps style on the field! Swac needs to diversify and it’ll help y’all’s identity.
⁃ Travel at least 2 away swac games for exposure and practice against some good comp in the stands

Overall Grade : C

Prairie View

Summary: this band has made leaps and bounds since 2013 when the band was cut due to unfortunate incidents. They added an accolade by representing the swac very well at Maceys. My problem with pv though is this. We know how good they sound. Because to me they have the best hbcu polished “sound” not arrangements but sound in the swac. However, the elites Southern , jackson, and txsu are still trying to decide if pv deserves that top tier respect as a ensemble yet. I think they still are earning it even though we know how great they are. Next year they should be the biggest hands down in the swac after the exposure they got in New York. They’re the only band that I don’t get concerned with when they’re big because they have a good system to keep the sound and identity consistent. PVs 3 bangers in the stands that the students loved are push it - OG, Timmy Turner - designer, and Bodak Yellow - Cardi B the students brought a loud sound where I was like If pv keeps that sound they can maybe debate their case for top band in the swac.

Last edited:
....... They are another year away. I need to see more arrangements from what I’ve heard. As much juke alum they have on staff I hold their arrangements to a higher standards cause when pv wants to get up for jsu, Southern, and txsu they can sure make it a debate because they have very good arrangements .... but not a book. Pv has yet to play over 25 songs in the stands. They will write here and there and simply build a 5th quarter but not take those numbers and build the book. That’s an issue. With great numbers comes great responsibility. The sound is there pv but you got to earn it and

Last edited:
....I think the director needs to let the top off this band because it sound like two different bands when they play push it or bodak yellow compared to other selections.

.....Those drills look a little to simple for me. I loved when y’all did the hurricane eye mid field drill at Honda... take those numbers and be creative man you all can do a lot with them. Nice work pv. Your a year out from top 3 status. You were #4 for me this year.

• creative drills or complex drills to challenge the students. Currently things are very safe with pv in halftime performance to get more students to retain. This is why out of that 250 maybe 180 need to drill verses everyone.
  • More arrangements please we hear how good y’all are now go sample some more.
  • Let this band go all the pieces are there let that sound fly !
  • Stay consistent. Y’all will be the biggest next year.

Overall Grade: B

Southern and the remaining will be posted tomorrow. Keep voting and let me know if you agree or disagree with my reviews.!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I’m with you for the most part. I wouldn’t classify TxSu better than PV though. From sound to field I’d give it too PV. Although I really don’t care for either of their style. Unless Alcorn, they managed their bigger size very well.

Sorry.... don't see sTu as a SWAC elite. Rivalry aside if I had to pick a band to represent HBCU's from the SWAC in terms of quality Alcorn, AAMU, Gram from the SFC forward and maybe a couple others would get my vote. sTu has become a loud euphonium and tuba section.

Sorry.... don't see sTu as a SWAC elite. Rivalry aside if I had to pick a band to represent HBCU's from the SWAC in terms of quality Alcorn, AAMU, Gram from the SFC forward and maybe a couple others would get my vote. sTu has become a loud euphonium and tuba section.

TSU is a great band. They remind me a lot of a 128 member Greggs era SU band.

Southern

Summary: this band has been regarded as the best band in the land and continuously gets recognized year in and year out as the top swac and hbcu band in the land with ncaa high ranking prestige. This year this group didn’t live up to that standard that I’m accustomed to from the jukebox. I think Nathan Haymer spent too much time marketing, doing promo videos, and branding than getting back to what Southern does best and that’s being the best in the stands as well as the FIELD. If I’m hating southern folks tell me, but answer me this was Haymers halftimes this year holding a light to when he took over in 2015 , or Jackson era , and does it compare or sustain to the late Greg era? I’ve said this since 2015, and I’ve been saying it since, Southern has become a great stand band while halftimes are falling too above average under Haymer. It’s time for Haymer to update the halftime drill book because If he goes to the L drill one more time as a bail out I’m going to personally lose it...Haymer this year has really banked on dissing other rival bands they take somewhat seriously like Alcorn, jsu, and sometimes Grambling. That’s fine and I get that, but what happened to the super 7, the skits they use to do, block dancing / splitting the band into 4 blocks to dance? These are the things that made southern southern not just relying on dissing other bands to get House, but remixing shows you’ve done in the last 2-3 seasons. 15-20 years ...... fine, But southern halftimes were not what I’m use to hearing this year from the juke.

Overall, I loved Southerns song selection in the stands and I appreciate the writings of Brian Simmons and Taylor .... they are year in and year out going to have the arrangements but for me, halftimes have got to pick up. Also I need the band to tighten up on these mistakes in the stands at events like crankfest.... too mess up in your backyard is underneath y’all’s standards, and don’t give me that it happens to anyone garbage because that’s what’s wrong with Southern.... y’all want to be regarded as the best but not be held to those “best band” standards. One thing I will be excited for next year with Southern will be the brass in full sound because it will be different with new instruments and an all brass tuba section that will fully be broken in by next season. I’ve always respected Southern for consistency and superiority on the field and in the stands. Hopefully they don’t let the branding and marketing allow other areas of the program become inconsistent, because this season had some inconsistencies in some areas Southern is usually solid in.

⁃ update that halftime drill book.... disses can’t save a mediocre halftime... I get on the boom about the same thing before biasness is passed.
⁃ Get adjusted to those instruments and tubas start hitting those lows and focus air and pitch on the higher octaves so you don’t sound like ducks
⁃ Consistent arrangements., Southern has a lot of good arrangements but the downfall for them is when they market like nobody else on YouTube, you can’t still be turning to playing wild thoughts and drowning near the end of the season because people have heard it too much. Call other songs or keep writing new ones.
⁃ I’d like to see more lower brass next year the 60 trumpets were awesome but it put a lot of pressure on the lower brass including tubas who couldn’t keep up at times and it really showed in some arrangements
⁃ Marketing and branding is good but if it takes away from consistency in discipline and your field shows it’s time to get back to fundamentals before you become all hype.

Overall Grade: A-

Texas Southern

Summary: this group has done well under its new band director so far. Texas Southern isn’t going to kill you with complexity or cleverness in its arrangements. They will scold you with execution in a timely cranked sound from a small size that makes people blink like how does a band that size year in and out still carry that type of sound at less? I personally don’t mind Texas Southerns style but I will say if arrangers are going to stick with that style they can’t water down or half ass write arrangements because some songs sound good and others sound not so good. I had the chance to look back in the 80s at Texas southern and I’m crossing my fingers that they can slowly get back to the great prestige they had on the field because it’s needed, and from I’ve seen they’re taking the necessary steps at least. I’d like to see them get those numbers maxed to at least 170 over the next 3 years. I don’t want to see txsu get too big as folks have been lobbying for.... it would mess up their sound and it wouldn’t work. They’d sound muffled with too many.

⁃ write arrangements that work for this groups sound consistently
⁃ Increase numbers up over the next 3 years
⁃ Get back to halftime glory
⁃ Travel too some more away games if the budget permits it.

Overall Grade: B

Back