Suze Orman says these are the biggest money no-nos

Olde Hornet

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/per...he-biggest-money-no-nos/ar-BBSFVJ9?li=BBnbfcN

Here are 10 major money no-nos -- straight from the expert.

1. Don't be too quick to buy a home

Homeownership may be part of the American dream — but buying one before you're able can lead to financial disaster.

"Sometimes it makes sense to own a home," Orman tells CNBC.com. "And sometimes, depending on where you live, it makes sense to simply rent."

That's particularly true if you're in an expensive city. Instead of pouring a lot of money into property, Orman says why not invest in the stock market? That way, you can grow your savings — maybe into a down payment on that home of your dreams.

A good way to get into investing is through an automated investment service like Wealthsimple, which will automatically adjust your portfolio to protect you from market turbulence.

2. Don't lease a car
In Suze Orman's words, you should "you should never, ever ever ever, lease a car."

If you lease, you'll sink your money into several years' worth of car payments and be empty-handed when the lease term is done.

Financing is a better option, but Orman says if it will take longer than three years to pay off the car, then it’s out of your price range. (You certainly don't want to consider one of today's seven-year car loans.)

Buying a used car is another way to go. Models that are just a few years old will have great safety specifications and the same audio-visual tech as a new car, at a fraction of the price.

3. Never co-sign a loan
When a friend or family member in need asks you to co-sign a loan, Orman says the only correct response is to turn them down.

As she puts it: "Don’t be afraid to say 'no to others and say 'yes' to yourself."

When you co-sign a loan, you become legally responsible for paying back the money. Life is unpredictable, and if anything happens to prevent the borrower from repaying the loan, you’ll be on the hook to make the payments.

Plus, if the borrower is so much as late on a few payments, your credit score can take a hit.

@Olde Hornet, I agree with everything except #4. Wait until you are 70??? I don't know about that. I think 66 is a good age to start drawing Social Security. 62 is way too early.

I would like to add one thing to her list:

Do not ever lend money to friends and relatives.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I like to own things, I dont believe in leasing cars. Though business might be different.

Last edited:
I lease vehicles now through my company. I am never going to buy another vehicle as long as I live int he city
I lease also. Never have to pay for maintenance and you just roll over into another vehicle. We already own our other vehicle outright.

Back