Suspension of golf programs leaves JSU players in limbo

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
Budget cuts getting to athletics now at JSU where they have to cut athletic programs.

Keelin Floyd is headed into her senior year at Jackson State, and while her scholarship is still good, she’s not going to get to play the game she loves.

Floyd, a member of the soon-to-be-suspended women’s golf program at JSU, said Sunday she’s upset at the department’s decision to cut the programs for budgetary reasons.

JSU athletic director Wheeler Brown said Thursday he is still trying to find a way to save the programs, but Floyd said he informed her two weeks ago the decision to suspend the programs has already been made.

Brown said the department will honor the existing scholarships, but with only one year of school and one year of eligibility left, Floyd finds herself in a veritable no-man’s land when it comes to transfer possibilities.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...o/407528001/?from=global&sessionKey&autologin

Golf suspended for two years? Oh well. I know some schools had whole programs suspended indefinitely.
And again, yes.....JSU at it's weakest is still light years ahead of Alcorn.
images

From a financial standpoint this move didn't make sense to me.

It's like you own a house and have to make serious decisions on what expenses to cut in your household because you had to take a cut in pay and your savings have been depleted. So the first bill you cut is your $4.95 per month Pandora Music account?

From a financial standpoint this move didn't make sense to me.

It's like you own a house and have to make serious decisions on what expenses to cut in your household because you had to take a cut in pay and your savings have been depleted. So the first bill you cut is your $4.95 per month Pandora Music account?
Especially after Payton laid out the particulars. They tried to take the path of least resistance and got molly-whopped.

Wouldn't a $500,000 guarantee game go a long way in helping to save these sports? This goes to show that all of the SWAC programs could use more money.

Does anyone REALLY care about golf not being played for two years?
That is the administration thought (i.e. no one cared about golf). They were mistaken.....especially since golf, according to Eddie Payton, is self sustaining.

Wouldn't a $500,000 guarantee game go a long way in helping to save these sports? This goes to show that all of the SWAC programs could use more money.

We have one which shows bending over for check does not work and is not worth it.

I just don't understand txsu obsession with us lately lol. Y'all been in the SWAC 60+ years and barely any success compared to us. Not to mention y'all can't beat us when we sorry. You might want to rethink what smalltime really means. :cool:

Back