Surprises and Disappointments

Dr. J

Jaguar Nation
Alabama A&M 1-3 (1-1)
Boasted about being 1 year ahead of schedule by backing into the East title and losing to Champion GSU 14-6 in final. With a strong nucleous returning on Defense and new OC the dawgs were suppose to roll. Dawgs have looked good on defense, but with no offense to match the efforts, the are dismal disappointments to the coach and fans. They are probably out the the east race because they need help from others. Looks like this could be another losing season for Cooper. ? Big Disappointment

Alabama State 1-2 (0-1)
This was suppose to prove that cole-blooded wasn't a fluke. So far this season they Hornets have done absolutely nothing on offense. The 71 points score on Johnson S. Smith will haunt them saturday. The hornets are in a must win situation Saturday. They season will be over after Saturday. Their only claim left is to close the door on A&M hopes in the MCC. Cole-Disappointment.

Alcorn State 1-3 (1-1)
A team had that finished 0-11 had not hope to win some games. They are a mild surprise because they have defeated one of the pre-season favorites, Bama State. They lost to good DII team in Albany state. For those left on the Braves schedule they could be dangerous to any post-season hopes. Six games is still the magic number for Thomas to keep his job. - Mild Surprise

Arkansas Pine Bluff 2-1 (0-1)
Again, after a early season lost, the Lions are vitually out of the West race, they may have an impact if they can pull an upset or two. The return of two 1,000 rushers who have run for very little yards, this team has to be a sad disappointment. ? Sad Disappointment

Grambling State 4-0 (2-0)
The Tigers haven?t missed a beat since the season started. Featuring power running game the G-men can strike quick through the air or control the clock with a punishing running. Just want the doctor ordered. With defense playing as it did on last year the G-men will be hard to beat. The running game is a pleasant surprise. ? As Expected

Jackson State 3-0 (2-0)
With Robert Kent at QB the tigers were expected to feature a potent passing attack and they have not disappointed. Their defense is suspect, but Tigers have been able to score enough to offset this deficiency. The Tigers have yet to be tested on ball sides of the ball? Slight Surprise

Mississippi Valley 0-4 (0-1)
No suprises here. The only good thing is that they are only one loss down in the SWAC race. This is a moot point. ? As Expected

Prairie View 0-4 (0-2)
PV is playing very tuff as they did on last year. They may even win another SWAC game. ? As Expected

Southern 2-2 (1-0)
It?s an odd year, the Jags are expected to romp. The addition of a D1 game was the only question mark. A seasonal opening loss to NWS coupled with a lopside loss to TU leaves the Jags with two early season losses. Even with the loss of All-American Michael Hayes, the Jags are still control their destiny to a return trip to B?ham. Slight Disappointment

Texas Southern 2-2 (1-1)
Coach Thomas said this would be the Tigers year. Loss Lenard Mack in the season opener and new OC has left the tigers will little hope of making this their year. ? Disappointment

My Comments:

A&M: Defense overrated. Seems like everyone has figured out that blitz package. A blitz in football is like a full court press in basketball, once beaten it leads to easy scores. No offense all season (except the yardage on JSU...but more on that later)

Bama St: Proved that they are a good D2 level team. Hurt by the academic problems of Kennedy. Maybe the rust is off now, and Bama State will click. Still in the running in the East!

Alcorn: The braves just don't have it. Folk were fooled by the cosmetic scores against GSU and the win over Bama State (w/o Kennedy). Without Kennedy, Bama is a notch above Valley and PVU.

Pine Bluff: Maybe Hardeman has taken the program as far as it can go. He was the man to help turn things around and clean it up after the Gunslinger left, but he is in over his head as a head coach. Lost several top assistant coaches over the years and it just hasn't been the same. Too bad he's not over in the East...would probably have gone to the SCG last year.

Grambling: After some concerns during the Alcorn game about letting up, it seems things have improved in that regard. Consistency in the ground game and passing attack is impressive.

Jackson: Still untested...the offense is putting up points, but against whom. Howard? Valley? The 26 scored on A&M were not due to sustained drives, it was that feast or famine blitz package of Cooper. However, you can't deny Kent's talent and heart!
A&M scored 14 points and had nice offensive numbers. Has JSU's defense improved...we'll find out this month for sure!

Southern: The lack of a running game is killing the jaguars. The tendency is to point the finger at the running back, but actually the offensive line play has dropped off the last two season. i don't know if it's a lack of recruiting or the loss of Strength and Conditioning coach. I noticed Levy seldom drops back into the pocket...most throws are rollouts and quick passes. Offensive line is weak! Defense is adequate...exposed by Tulane, but Wave has a good offense.

TxSouthern: Once again TxSU is a good second level SWAC school. Still hasn't recovered from losing Mack on defense and the constant changing of coordinators. I wonder if this program will ever win the SWAC again?

PVU and Valley: No comment!

Re: My Comments:

Originally posted by MikeBigg

TxSouthern: Once again TxSU is a good second level SWAC school. Still hasn't recovered from losing Mack on defense and the constant changing of coordinators. I wonder if this program will ever win the SWAC again?

I don't think the loss of Mack has hurt us that much. Of course we miss him. I mean, what team wouldn't miss a player of that caliber

"The constant changing of coordinators", well, you might have a point there.

Back