SUNO-UNO merger proposal dies in Legislature

Philly Jag

Ok, so can the State of Louisiana focus its time and energy on more important stuff?

BATON ROUGE -- A proposal to merge Southern University at New Orleans and the University of New Orleans died in the Legislature late Wednesday when House Speaker Jim Tucker, R-Algiers, pulled the measure from consideration.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/05/suno-uno_merger_proposal_dies.html

Last edited:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/05/suno-uno_merger_proposal_dies.html

BATON ROUGE -- A proposal to merge Southern University at New Orleans and the University of New Orleans died in the Legislature late Wednesday when House Speaker Jim Tucker, R-Algiers, pulled the measure from consideration.

The bill, strongly backed by Gov. Bobby Jindal, and just as strongly opposed by the Legislative Black Caucus, would have merged the historically black SUNO with the majority white, but racially mixed, UNO into a single lakefront campus with two units.
Tucker said he withdrew the bill from consideration after he concluded that he didn't have the required 70 votes to pass it and send it to the Senate for consideration.

"It's unfortunate because I really, really thought this was the right thing to do," Tucker said.

I hope the dude who was on here a few weeks ago talking about he knew the merger was a done deal because he had friends in high places reads this.

Re: SUNO-UNO Meger Called Off

Now SUNO needs to improve so this will not be an issue in the future.

What you fail to realize is that SUNO has made improvements, the formula used to determine graduation rates worked against them. The demographics SUNO serves plays a major role in this whole thing. At any rate, I agree that SUNO needs to keep improving.

Re: SUNO-UNO Merger Called Off

Ok, so can the State of Louisiana focus its time and energy on more important stuff?

Tucker couldn't get his people together.

:clap:Well Bless the Lord! All HBCUs in Louisiana should be sending up the praise for this one! Jindal is on a mission and "our schools" are his target!

....And anyone who works in Higher ed in Louisiana knows, that some changes have been made in the formula that determines "low completer" programs... True we (HBCUs in La. specifically) all need to improve and have been improving, but there is another plan at work here... And that plan, sadly doesn't include "us" in it's long-term goals....
What you fail to realize is that SUNO has made improvements, the formula used to determine graduation rates worked against them. The demographics SUNO serves plays a major role in this whole thing. At any rate, I agree that SUNO needs to keep improving.

:clap:Well Bless the Lord! All HBCUs in Louisiana should be sending up the praise for this one! Jindal is on a mission and "our schools" are his target!
[video=youtube;17lkdqoLt44]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lkdqoLt44[/video]

When Jindal came into office and changed the budgeting for higher education to graduation rate instead of SCH, I knew what he was going to do. Crediting a completer to the initial LA public college attended does not favor HBCUs. We know this is not going to be the last attempt so the SUS schools and Grambling had better band together to continue fighting and in the mean team, improve our academic and financial processes at our school. We all (SU and Gram) do great work. We just need to keep the data to prove it. POWER to us

Exactly!

Trust if and when they are ready to come after another LA HBCU.. they will have the media support in finding A LOT of reasons to shut us down...

SUNO had more graduates this past fall than any other LA state graduating class... they ain't report that though...

Exactly!

Trust if and when they are ready to come after another LA HBCU.. they will have the media support in finding A LOT of reasons to shut us down...

SUNO had more graduates this past fall than any other LA state graduating class... they ain't report that though...

That's true. The Advocate and other sources keep harping on the flawed numbers that ALPHA3 was talking about.

We just have to make sure that we keep fighting to save our system and the other HBCUs in the state.

:jump:

See what happens when we actually come together for a common goal/cause? We speak volumns folks...:nod:

I just said the same thing at my office.
This has been the greatest news of the week. :jump:

yup...that's why so many fear us. If we would come together as a people, we could actually get somewhere as a race. I'mma keep hope alive though...:nod:

Back