Sun Belt Conference fans want HBCU's, Jackson St, Texas Southern mentioned.

I think that JSU would join Conference USA before they join the Sun Belt Conference. I don't see JSU going to D1A and joining the Sun Belt Conference.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Here's the article

Instead of Troy State or Utah State
by BufordJulep (mule7175@yahoo.com) from 63.52.136.226 on Sunday, 24 March 2002, at 5:31 p.m.

How about Jackson State? Now that you have stopped laughing please consider the following.
The Jackson, Mississippi metro area has a population of more than 400,000 people.

The Sun Belt could use a team in Mississippi. There are Sun Belt teams in every state that borders Mississippi.

Jackson State is 1AA but could move up at a moments notice. They have the stadium and the attendance. Not included below is a game vs Howard that drew 50,000 in Chicago, and a game vs NC A&T that drew 35,000 in Atlanta.

Home Attendance:
Alabama State..........21,617
Southern..................32,746
Grambling................25,600
Arkansas Pine Bluff..15,500
Alcorn State.............49,873

If Jackson State could be persuaded to join the Sun Belt, I am sure they could draw even bigger crowds.

Much national media attention would be focused upon the Sun Belt if Jackson State joined.

I don't agree with us considering any move to any other conf. I LOVE THE SWAC.

Our attendance is actually higher than they ever say it is. Look at that Alabama State figure. I remember when ASU fans didn't believe we had so many people at home games and after they played us in Jackson last year many of them admitted themselves that 21,617 was a severe undercount. lol. So, if we could ever get those attendance numbers accurate more and more major conf. would be psssssssin' at us. lol.

Re: Here's the article

Originally posted by Blacknbengal
If Jackson State could be persuaded to join the Sun Belt, I am sure they could draw even bigger crowds.

Thats a lie

SWAC,

As Jafus has stated on the MEAC page, this issue is a lot more complex than a lot of us are realising.

Has anyone of you thought about "why" all of the sudden PWC interest in our premier HBCU??

Well for those of you that don't know it's the "proposed" NCAA fb legislation that "if" passed , April 8-9th at the NCAA convention that has them worried. Chief among worries for the Sun Belt is the 15,000 actual attendance (turnstile count) mandate, add in the drawing power of a few HBCU's and poof...problem solved. This was just an example of one of "their" problems, But, before you'all say screw 'em let them lay in their on mess....wait a minute. The NCAA is about to change the rules for 1AA fb too, Chief among our concerns will be the "proposed" Scholarship minium requirement of 65 just to be playoff eligible. Just because the SWAC "at present" doesn't send it's Champion to the 1AA playoffs will not excempt you from feeling the effects of this legislation, the way I hear it, you either award the minium of 65 scholie's or be relegated to the non-sholarship level of 1AA. In other words the SWAC might become known as a div2 conference. Stay tuned, Things are about to get mighty interesting.

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
I don't agree with us considering any move to any other conf. I LOVE THE SWAC.

Our attendance is actually higher than they ever say it is. Look at that Alabama State figure. I remember when ASU fans didn't believe we had so many people at home games and after they played us in Jackson last year many of them admitted themselves that 21,617 was a severe undercount. lol. So, if we could ever get those attendance numbers accurate more and more major conf. would be psssssssin' at us. lol.

That is EXACTLY like AAMU home games. They tried to say that there was 8,000 at the JSU and AAMU game. They do the same damn thing for basketball games... We will have a packed house and they will say 1500 was there.. Sombody pocketin some money somwhere.

The HBCU's need to be all about developing what they have. To me, the talk of running is foolish. It's fools gold. Stay where you are and make it BETTER!!! Geez.

It's like Black folks running to the 'Burbs to be with the whites, who ran to the 'Burbs to get away from the Blacks. Then the whites run back to the city to get away from the Blacks, and then buy the property in the city for 1/2 its value, and eliminate their commute. The Blacks are left in the suburbs with homes that aren't increasing in value, 'cause crime, bad schools and uncut yards have followed them to the suburbs (e.g. Prince George's County, MD).

Black people...MAKE THE MOST OUT OF WHERE YOU ARE!!!!

BTW- If the HBCU conferences fold, the schools will follow closely behind. It's called divide and conquer. Page 1 of the War Handbook. Somebody please send a copy to the HBCU Presidents before it's too late.

The AL State figure is wrong. They issued that number before they actually finished the count. The real number was 42K. Go this info from the AD. Anyone who was at the game knew that the number was waaaayyyy wrong.

I agree with the 42k at the JSU/Bama St. game. I was there and witnessed first hand more than 21,000 fans. At Legion Field the count goes out after halftime.

hulaw,
I said it on the Meacfans page and will say it here. I agree with you 100%.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by hulaw94
The HBCU's need to be all about developing what they have. To me, the talk of running is foolish. It's fools gold. Stay where you are and make it BETTER!!! Geez.

It's like Black folks running to the 'Burbs to be with the whites, who ran to the 'Burbs to get away from the Blacks. Then the whites run back to the city to get away from the Blacks, and then buy the property in the city for 1/2 its value, and eliminate their commute. The Blacks are left in the suburbs with homes that aren't increasing in value, 'cause crime, bad schools and uncut yards have followed them to the suburbs (e.g. Prince George's County, MD).

BTW- If the HBCU conferences fold, the schools will follow closely behind. It's called divide and conquer. Page 1 of the War Handbook. Somebody please send a copy to the HBCU Presidents before it's too late.

I was about to comment, then I read this post that sums up how I feel. Good points!!!

Originally posted by hulaw94

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone puleeze explain to me how the above addresses the related to this topic issue of the "proposed" 65 scholarship "MINIUM" mandate?? Are you'all suggesting that the SWAC/MEAC (as a whole) will somehow meet this minium?? What happens when JSU, NCAT, SOUTHERN, FAMU, and AAMU (for instance) decide they will meet them and the other members of the SWAC/MEAC feel they can't afford to play fb at the "mandated" 65 scholarship minum??

Do you'all know that "if" this legislation is passed it will not only split the SWAC/MEAC it will basically split every 1AA conference in the nation.

hulaw94,

I feel you bro, But, it's gonna be kinda hard for us to stay put and make the most outta where we are because the NCAA IS ABOUT TO TEAR OUR HOUSES DOWN.

Roar Man,

People do not read or keep up with NCAA legislation. Everybody will yell after the ruling has been voted on and santioned. Similar to the retoric that was displayed after it was announced that Alcorn State would play Sienna in the NCAA "Play-In Game" tournament game schedule to seed a team against the number #1 seed in the entire 65 field tournament a full three years after rules was originally discussed by the NCAA Tournament Legislation Committee.

I must admit that I do not believe the NCAA Football Legislation Committee will pass the current admendment in its current written format.

The Panther Fan

Sorry to tell you because I have a great deal of respect for PVAMU, But I know for a fact that unless your prez does a complete turnabout of how he views funding college athletics, you might as well get ready to resign yourself into competing in the "lower" division of 1AA fb.

You will believe soon enough. Better yet call your AD's, ask them their opinion of whats about to happen to 1AA fb.

Originally posted by Roar Man

What happens when JSU, NCAT, SOUTHERN, FAMU, and AAMU (for instance) decide they will meet them and the other members of the SWAC/MEAC feel they can't afford to play fb at the "mandated" 65 scholarship minum??

We meet that requirement as well.

This entire talk is a disturbing. Doesn't it seem like the more progress we make there is a new rule mandated that totally disrupts what we are trying to do? We just need to face it that we (HBCU's) and the NCAA are have two different agendas. We cannot reach that plateau that they require because HBCU alumni does not invest into their own alma mater.

Well said C-Leb.

Folks the problem is not with "white flight" or whatever you want to call it. It's with progress. We do not want to progress. We do not want to change or move forward. I guarantee anyone can go back to their respective institutions and see the exact same mess going on that frustrated them 10 or 15 years ago when they were there. We won't change. Yes the SWAC is good the MEAC is good, SIAC, etc. , but look at the garbage that still infests us. Almost a year later and no leadership for the SWAC, this past weekend's activities @ SU, the embarassment @ JSU/AAMU game in H'vlle, other poor officiating. These are things that strong conference handle or at least stick their noses into. But that won't happen here.
The deal with life is you grow and get stronger, you never remain stagnant. We may have all had storied programs once, but we cannot live on those reputations forever. We should have built new ones by now or at least be beginning to try.
So folks we can sit back and rest on our laurels, but change is probably coming and now we should be preparing for it.

Roar Man,

Believe it or not Prairie View A & M University has the money to fund athletics. The presidents just does not view it as his top priority. With the leadership from new athletic director and mandated requirements from the NCAA Prairie View A & M University, the president will allow our athletic director offer the full alotment of scholarships required to participate at the new proposed scholarship NCAA Division I AA level.

As I said, I am aware of the proposed NCAA Legislation. I believe their will change in NCAA football, but it will not be as drastic as these rules allude to during this NCAA meeting on the state and direction of NCAA football. It is no need for us to argue over it. Time will tell.

Back