SU, who is this professor

Mr. Matriculation

...Dr. Leonard Haynes, an African-American professor at Southern University, stated, "When you eliminate the black Confederate soldier, you've eliminated the history of the South."

Who is this professor at SU? He is giving racist white folks ammunition to use against us. I was reading a yahoo message board and ran across that quote.

That depends...

you could take that statement many ways.

There were Black Confederate soldiers who were major role players in many skirmishes. To ignore there story is just as bad as pretending the Civil War didn't exist. If I can remember my days at SU taking Black History, these soldiers did as much spying as anything. They would infiltrate the Union Army camp and bring back vital info.

Now why would they do that? Well, there are many theories including a true show of loyalty to the "Massa" came with promises of not separating families, better conditions, etc. Also, some were pretty much scared to what could happen to what ever family they did have if they refused to fight.

I find this statement pretty much in line. Pretty good class, too!

Did you know

...that the average plantation had only approximately 20 slaves?

...that Free Blacks and/or Creoles (for those who still don't think they are) in the South OWNED slaves?

I would love to ignore their role in history

I am aware of the fact that black confederate soldiers existed. I remember researching that some time ago. They were battling the union forces under the impression that they would be guaranteed their freedom if they faught for the confederacy. However, that was just a clever scheme by the oppressive southern regime. I'm sure there was a small minority of loyal slaves that actually fought for "massa" but to think that is the norm could not be factual. I am also aware of many southern blacks fighting for the Union army.

How can you feel a great sense of pride to know that some brainwashed illiterate slave was fighting against his own freedom? I would love to ignore that fact if it were possible. Hell, white folks make up their own account of history all the time. You still can't tell them Black Africans built the pyramids.

Do you know that professor?

Nope!

I don't no him, but Professor Leonard (surname) was my instructor, but he passed some years ago.

I see your concern because statements can be twisted totally out of context. I don't know the circumstances or the instructor or the interview, but I am sure that as always when we hear such things, it is has been twisted to suit the needs of the writer.

I knew Dr Haynes he was the creator of what was called at the time the New South movement an effort to recognize the entire history of the confederacy he had some intresting views on black America I guess he was one the original Black conservatives although he did speakout against Clarence Thomas and loved the teaching of Malcolm.

There were slaves who were used as support (getting materials, cooking, etc.) for the Confederates. But in 1864 Robert E. Lee tried to raise a Black Confederate Army. While there are reports of Blacks fighting for the south, the Black Confederate Army was not raised-especially like the Union raised all-Black units. Lee's idea was that the men would be guarenteed their freedom. But understand that this would have gone against the Confederacy's idea of White supremacy of letting the men fight.

Indeed the history of the Civil War is more complex than many people think. Note that the Union did not raise all-Black units until 1862. The Confederate victories of the two Manassas, or Bull Run, Battle convinced Lincoln and others that Black men must be allowed to fight in the war. While Lee was personally against slavery (or so it says), William T. Sherman, the Union general who went through Georgia, was for it. Blacks could face as much bigotry from northern soldiers as they would the southerners.

Note that Lincoln went into the war to preserve the Union. If he could perserve the Union by keeping slavery, he would do it. No matter how one tries to twist it, the war's central issue was slavery.

BTW I just started reading The Negro's Civil War by Jaqmes M. McPherson. The first edition was published in 1965 while the second was published in 1990. There is another book called (I think) Men of War written by Trudeau. This book is very long.

Dr. Haynes was my former pastor from years ago. He became really radical over the last years of his life. I really don't what he was thinking in that statement.

Originally posted by Mr. Matriculation

Who is this professor at SU? He is giving racist white folks ammunition to use against us. I was reading a yahoo message board and ran across that quote.

Myself and my girlfriend have been discussing this and we need the whole qoute to analyze it. Understanbly there were Black Conferderate Soldiers but we need the full context of the story.

Furthermore, Dr. Haynes is a former president of Grambling.

CORRECTION!!!

The book that I talked about earlier is Like Men of War: Black Troops in the Civil War 1862-1865 by Noah Andre Trudeau.

Prior to becoming Interim President (or was it Provost) at GSU, Dr Haynes served as UnderSecretary of Education under Bush, Sr.
His father was my wife's professor at SU and at one time, I believe the elder Haynes also served as Pastor of Wesley Methodist here in BR.

Back to the subject: I agree that the history must not be distorted. The truth (whole truth) must be told concerning the roles that these Black men played in the aid of the Confederacy.
Although I don't agree with their decisions, I feel I can understand how such a thing could happen. A lot of these guys were probably very gullible. They had been treated "good" by their "good" massas and were probably told all types of stories about how the Union soldiers were coming to do them harm.

I'm certain that a lot of the Union soldiers probably were very "nasty" towards the Blacks that they encountered. It is not far-fetched that many of these so-called saviors were rapist and murderers of black slaves. Keep in mind that the Union soldiers were also white men who were not fighting out of love for the Black man. Most likely, they resented us as being "the cause" of the war.

Back