SU VS GSU Baseball===>This Is Great!!!

MikeBigg

This is really a positive for our universities. Props to both squads (especially Cador) for pulling this off. I commend him on allowing GSU to be the opponent for this inaugural event. When I see him at the Chicken Shack I'm going to buy his no talking azz lunch!:lmao:

SU, GSU to wear Negro League uniforms today

By SCOTT HOTARD
Special to The Advocate

Here's another reason to go watch Southern play archrival Grambling State in baseball.

When the teams face off in a two-day, four-game series this weekend, they'll be wearing Negro League uniforms. The uniforms arrived Friday, SU coach Roger Cador said, and will be worn in each of the four games.

"It's never been done in college baseball before," Cador said, "so this is a historical moment and a great opportunity for the community to come out and find out what it was like for these players in the '20s, '30s and '40s."

Whichever team performs better in the throwback threads may walk away from the series as the team to beat in the Southwestern Athletic Conference's West Division. Second-place Grambling (11-6, 5-3) is perennially the biggest threat to division-leading Southern (9-3, 5-1), the defending SWAC champion.

Seven-inning, double-header action begins at 1 p.m. today and again at 1 p.m. Sunday. The Jaguars finish up a six-game homestand with a two-game, non-conference series vs. Howard on Monday and Tuesday.

Cador said today's starters will be Eric Thomas (1-0, 6.97 ERA) in the first game and Corey Poret (2-0, 3.38) in the second. Jason Anderson (0-2, 12.79) and Joshua Kirk (1-0, 2.00) will each get a start Sunday, though Cador was unsure in which order.

"Historically they come to Baton Rouge and play extremely well," Cador said of the Tigers. "That's the thing that sticks in my mind. In Baton Rouge, it seems they're the home team the way they play."

Cador learned of the opportunity to wear the Negro League uniforms during an off-season discussion with Adventures In Sports production coordinator Steve Due, whose California-based company has supplied Southern with its standard uniforms for several years.

After AIS executive vice president Ron Rubenstein extended his approval, the project was a go.

"All Steve had to do was mention it to me," Rubenstein said. "I couldn't have thought of a better way to introduce the Negro League uniforms to college baseball than with Southern and Grambling."

Eighteen different teams, ranging from 1920-1955, will be represented by Southern and Grambling, who will wear their respective team caps to go with the uniforms. The value of the uniforms, as a set, "easily exceeds $20,000," Rubenstein said.

"They're letting us wear them, which is a privilege," said Cador, who will sport a Kansas City Monarchs uniform. "No other college gets to do that."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by MikeBigg
This is really a positive for our universities. Props to both squads (especially Cador) for pulling this off. I commend him on allowing GSU to be the opponent for this inaugural event. When I see him at the Chicken Shack I'm going to buy his no talking azz lunch!:lmao:

GIVE HIM A SIDE OF MASHED TATER'S FROM ME. :D

When I see him at the Chicken Shack I'm going to buy his no talking azz lunch!:lmao:

Oh Mikey,

Roger can't shake that thick brogue can he! And you know we are from North LA, so you gotta listen very closely when he is talking!:lmao:

And he loves that knuckle sucking good chicken too!

Boy you just iz crazeee!

:D

This is really a positive for our universities. Props to both squads (especially Cador) for pulling this off. I commend him on allowing GSU to be the opponent for this inaugural event. When I see him at the Chicken Shack I'm going to buy his no talking azz lunch!

You Wrong!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Southern gets old-fashioned sweep
Jaguars, Grambling pay tribute to history with special uniforms
By CHARLES SALZER
Special to The Advocate

The baseball wasn't perfect but the excitement was more than enough to honor the Negro League uniforms worn by Southern and Grambling on Saturday afternoon.

With Rawle McIntosh collecting a pair of game-winning RBIs, Southern rallied in the late innings of both games and swept Grambling, 2-1 and 7-6.

The sweep provides some breathing room for Southern (13-3, 9-1) in the SWAC. Grambling (11-8, 5-5) entered the series trailing the Jaguars by two games.

The teams conclude their weekend series with a doubleheader at 1 p.m. today.

"Grambling did a good job on our hitters today," Southern coach Roger Cador said. "We got a heroic day from Rawle McIntosh. It's good to have seniors that you can count on coming off the bench."

McIntosh began his heroics in the bottom of the seventh in game one. With the score tied 1-1, McIntosh drove an 0-1 pitch over the wall in center to end the game with a Southern celebration.

Grambling starter Roy Foster (4-1) was saddled with the loss despite allowing just four hits. Southern pitchers Eric Thomas and Damian Ursin combined to limit Grambling to three hits. Ursin (1-0) struck out four over the final two innings and picked up the win.

In the second game, McIntosh capped a furious Southern rally with a pinch-hit sacrifice fly in the sixth scoring Rickie Weeks, who had tripled.

"We needed the runs," McIntosh said. "My role is to come off the bench, see a pitch and drive it. I got the job done both times."

Grambling took control of the second game scoring three runs in the third. James Cooper and Jonathon Jones had back-to-back doubles before Alberto Campbell hit a two-run homer to right.

Southern answered with a two-run homer by Trae Duncan, but Grambling wasn't done. The Tigers manufactured two runs in the fourth and got an RBI single from Kevin Camp in the fifth.

The Jaguars finally pulled even in the bottom of the fifth. Duncan started the inning with his second home run, and a pair of Grambling errors helped Southern score two more.

Rickie Weeks led of the sixth with a triple to set up McIntosh's sacrifice fly. Weeks hit a liner to the wall in left-center and took third when Grambling's cutoff man bobbled the relay throw.

Joseph Rankin (1-0) struck out eight batters over the final 32/3 innings to earn the win.

"We made some mental mistakes that cost us the game," Grambling coach Wilbert Ellis said. "With the kind of pitching we got today, we should have won. These are the kind of games anyone can win. When you make three errors in a close ballgame, that's when you beat yourself."

Ryan Haskell doubled and scored on a pair of groundouts to give Grambling a 1-0 lead in the third inning of the first game.

Southern tied the score after Fernando Puebla's two-out double in the fifth. Puebla took third on Brandon Mason's bunt single and scored on a throwing error by Grambling catcher Jonathon Jones.

Ursin struck out four batters in the final two innings to keep the Tigers at bay.

Cador said sponsorship from Richards Honda/Hollingsworth Ford-Mazda provided the squads with various uniforms representing teams throughout the Negro League era.

Negro League baseball, with stars such as Cool Papa Bell, Buck Leonard, Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige, flourished from the turn of the century until the late '40s when Major League baseball integrated.

It's good to see you jags understand that I meant no harm! Cador speaks well, but that accent just cracks me up. This is a big dude, but he has that New Roads "island" accent that's one of a kind.

I see he handled my GMEN over the weekend, so he won't be seeing me in the Chicken Shack for a while. Ain't no way I'm going into that "jaguar den" for a while!

Originally posted by Jagster
All that with Cador is that New Roads coming out him...lol...

:D Hey! I'm from New Roads!!!:D

Hey MikeBigg, we had an old saying in NR:
:D "Bang, Bang...The Island Gang!" :D

Anybody got pictures of the uniforms?

Back