SU signings

Blacknbengal

Newman-Landry passing duo heads SU class

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

7892_256.jpg

Advocate staff photo by John H. Williams
Southern coach Pete Richardson talks about Jaguars' prospects at Wednesday night's Recruiting Celebration on the SU campus.

On paper, the duo of wide receiver Gerard Landry and quarterback Alfred Newman could be the best combo Southern's ever reeled in.
Plus, the two could, theoretically, find themselves on the field next season for the defending black-college national champion.

There is a long way to go, of course.

Newman, the Class 4A All-State first-teamer from Istrouma, needs to qualify academically -- though he's not far off. And while Landry, a 3A All-State first-teamer from Lutcher, is already eligible, there is still a big transition.

Even so, there's no discounting enthusiasm.

"I'm ready to step in there and produce," Landry said. "I'm ready right now."

The two headline a class of 17 that signed with Southern on Wednesday. Southern coach Pete Richardson may add a handful of signees in the coming days.

Also, speedy running back Michael Franklin, who transferred from San Diego State last month and will be a junior next season, gives the class an 18th member.

"Offensively, we helped ourselves a great deal," Richardson said. "With (offensive linemen Michael) McGrew and (6-foot-8, 350-pound) Cleveland (Johnigan), they have a lot of athletic ability."

Class 4A All-State honorable mention tight end Eric Alexander of Edna Karr in New Orleans gives another top name to a solid class.

"I think we've got individuals capable of competing," Richardson said. "They've got some good potential. We went for quickness."

As always, Southern dipped heavily into New Orleans, snaring eight signees. Southern also signed three from Texas: linebacker Jamelle Minor from North Mesquite High in Mesquite; tight end/defensive end Trent Thomas from Beaumont; and wide receiver Rogers Taylor from Longview.

"We have to build that bridge from here to Houston," said Richardson, who has been succesful attracting players from that area in the past.

Addressing one of its biggest needs, Southern tried to shore up its defensive secondary, so much so that offensive line coach Gary Smith joked, "I've learned a lot about defensive backs the last couple of months," as he noted Evangel Christian defensive back Travis White had "great hips."

The Jaguars, who lose three of their four starters in the secondary, signed four defensive backs: White, Glenn Bell (from Carver of New Orleans), Jeremy Jason (from Landry of New Orleans) and Michael Williams (of Natchez, Miss., High).

"It's a talented group," Richardson said. "We wanted to fill some voids at wide receiver and defensive back."

Landry was a substantial signee, perhaps the best of the class.

Mississippi State and Tennessee tried for Landry late. And Colorado, which had seemed the front-runner early, kept calling.

"He's an excellent athlete," Richardson said. "He has a lot of upside. His quickness is what separates him. That, and his ability to catch the ball. And he's explosive once he catches it."

Landry (6-4, 205) had 1,175 yards and 11 touchdowns on 50 catches. He said he had another 200 in all-purpose yardage.

"The people are great," Landry said. "And more than the football program, the engineering program is really excellent."

Richardson echoed Landry. He said schools hammered Southern for its poor facilities, but that his coaches sold players on the classroom, where, he said, Southern has an 83-percent graduation rate.

"Engineering sold probably one of the best wide receivers in the state to come here," said Richardson as he thanked the faculty.

Newman (6-3, 195) was the MVP of The Advocate's Class 5A-4A-3A All-Metro team as well as District 7-4A. He threw for 1,888 yards and 20 TDs on 106-for-174 passing in the regular season.

"He can throw that football. I know that," Richardson said. "He's one of the best in the South region."

Newman also was on the All-Metro team at punter for the second straight season, averaging 42.0 yards per punt with a long of 59.

Newman visited Grambling and canceled trips to Jackson State and Mississippi State. Southern had offered Newman first, by the summer, and stayed on him strong all season.

"I stayed in town, because my family wanted to see me play," said Newman, who went to passing camps at Southern each of the last two summers. "I grew up around Southern. I like the program and the coaching staff."

Newman said he needed to improve his ACT score by one point to be eligible.

If he gets eligible, he'll join a quarterback derby as the school tries to replace Quincy Richard, who in his one full season as a starter guided a record-setting offense.

Thomas Ricks, who will be a senior, and J.C. Lewis, who will be a redshirt freshman, are the only scholarship quarterbacks on the roster. Terrence Jones, the Class 1A Offensive MVP in 2002 but a nonqualifier last season, could also join the fray.

A selling point for Newman was Richard's dramatic improvement in two seasons under offensive coordinator David Oliver.

"It really shows in how Quincy was coached. That's amazing," Newman said. "I've got some big shoes to fill, but I'm willing to step up to the challenge."

Even if he's not ready to take over the offense next season, having Newman eligible would be big. First, he can learn the system. Second, he can be a quality back-up as he learns.

"It was huge for us," Richardson said.

"He plays in the same type of offense. Now, it's a matter of him getting academically sound and then being able to learn the system to be able to compete."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Beans,

What about Tony Hawkins? I thought he was leaning towards SU (or was that just basketball). I know he was All-State QB for the Vikings this year. Hope he hasn't signed with Southern Miss (they seem to recruit Vidalia pretty often)

I have heard about Hawkin's he is a good athlete from what I saw when I watched a recent basketball game, I hope the Jags can get him. In a year or so, hopefully if everything goes ok for Demetrius Duncan, he's a lil guy at 5'5", 165lbs, but when u see how fast he is, he is almost like a blurr.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Beans,

What about Tony Hawkins? I thought he was leaning towards SU (or was that just basketball). I know he was All-State QB for the Vikings this year. Hope he hasn't signed with Southern Miss (they seem to recruit Vidalia pretty often)

Mike, honestly, I havent heard anything about him. I need to call my niece (since that is his cousin) and see if he's signed or planning on just being a walk-on or something. Someone needs to sign him though. If not for football, then for B-ball. He's an all-around athelete.

Originally posted by unknownone
I have heard about Hawkin's he is a good athlete from what I saw when I watched a recent basketball game, I hope the Jags can get him. In a year or so, hopefully if everything goes ok for Demetrius Duncan, he's a lil guy at 5'5", 165lbs, but when u see how fast he is, he is almost like a blurr.

My homeboy coaches Duncan at Block High in Jonesville. He once told me this dude ran a 4.2 forty! Former GSU tailback Dexter Butcher played his high school ball at Block.

These boys are repping Catahoula Parish (but back in the day, the Island used to kick that azz...even Butcher). What up Duke?

Originally posted by Blacknbengal
Mike, honestly, I havent heard anything about him. I need to call my niece (since that is his cousin) and see if he's signed or planning on just being a walk-on or something. Someone needs to sign him though. If not for football, then for B-ball. He's an all-around athelete.

I heard that the Vikings upset McCall recently. I think that was only McCall's second loss this year. Will Hawkins join Ellis at GSU?
How do you compare the two (Ellis/Hawkins)? Although Ellis mostly played inside in high school, he shoots from downtown for the Gmen...Ron Ellis shot is so sweet the nets don't ripple!

Michael Franklin?

Is that the lil dude that played for St. Aug a few years back. Why is he leaving S.D. State, he was getting playing time, I guess he got homesick. S.D. is a long way from New Orleans. He's tight though wish he would have chose Grambling. I thought he was more than a sophmore already.

Nell

c/o fall 2000

New Orleans

Re: Michael Franklin?

Originally posted by geezy76
Is that the lil dude that played for St. Aug a few years back. Why is he leaving S.D. State, he was getting playing time, I guess he got homesick. S.D. is a long way from New Orleans. He's tight though wish he would have chose Grambling. I thought he was more than a sophmore already.

Nell

c/o fall 2000

New Orleans

I can't be sure, but the little St. Aug guy you're thinking of could be Ezra Landry.

Re: Michael Franklin?

Originally posted by geezy76

Nell

c/o fall 2000

New Orleans

Yes he is and your dead wrong he wasn't getting enough playing time.

I believe the freshman last year Lynell Hamilton (reqruited by A&M, and has brother that plays here) took his position. I heard he was getting off. He was leaning heavy on coming to A&M, but I heard his parents pushed him towards SD State. Dude was ranked as like the 12th best RB in the nation coming out of high school.

Yeah either way T. Hawkins can make it, I also heard that he plays baseball too, so there is no limit as far as to what he can do on any playing field i guess.

Back