SU GREAT and SWAC ICON DIES

THAMES

Su Track Legend Willie Davenport Deceased

A local radio station in Baton Rouge is reporting that Southern former track and field star Willie Davenport passed away last night in a Chicago airport of a heart attack. Back in the day, He and Rodney Millbourne were SU track legends. They are now both gone.

All, I just received word that former SU Track Standout and Gold Medal Winner, Colonel Willie Davenport passed away yesterday of a fatal heart attack returning from a trip to South Dakota. I've been working closely with COL D for the past three years here at the National Guard Bureau in Arlington, VA promoting the accomplishments of National Guard Athletes in competitive sports. He was serving as the Chief of Competitive Sports for The National Guard Bureau. For those of you who do not know, COL D won a Gold Medal in the 110-meter hurdles at Mexico City in 1968 and took the Bronze at Montreal in 1976. He finished fourth at Munich in 1972. He completed his Olympic Career as a member of the 1980 U.S. Bobsledd Team.

This is unbelievable! When he was past 30 I remember seeing him run in a meet before he went to Montreal in the mid ‘70s. This was a very old age for a track athlete to be running during those days. Yet, he finished third. His competitors were about 9-12 years younger than he was.

My condolences go out to his family, and may his soul rest in peace.

COL'S D BIO

Listed below is a sketch of the "COL."

WILLIE D. DAVENPORT
"BREEZE"

Biographical Sketch

Breeze - - to move swiftly and airily; to make progress quickly and easily - - and a nickname given to Willie D. Davenport by his track friends. Recognized best for his achievements in the area of track and field, Willie Davenport was the first U. S. hurdler to compete in summer Olympic games. He made the Olympics for the fifth time in 1980, switching to the Winter Olympics and, with his team, setting a world record during the trials.

Born in Troy, Alabama, Willie is the oldest of seven children. His first athletic victory came as a junior in high school, when he was a semi-finalist in the Ohio State High School Track Meet. As a senior, he was the 120-yard High Hurdles Ohio state champ. After high school , Willie joined the Army and ran on the U. S. Army Track Team. During the time he was stationed in Germany, he also ran for the Mainz University Track Club.

Willie's first experience in the Olympics was on the 1964 track team where he made it to the semi-finals. After his discharge from the Army, Willie enrolled at Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where he set records for the "best track team in the nation". He became both the national and NAIA indoor/outdoor high hurdle champion and a Collegiate All American.

A second chance to compete in the Olympics came in 1968 in Mexico City. There he broke the Olympic record, capturing the Olympic Gold Medal for the 110-meter High Hurdles.

In the late 60's and early 70's, Willie continued to break world records and excel in other areas of his professional life as well. After graduation from Southern University, he was appointed Director of the Mayor's Council for Youth Opportunity in Baton Rouge. In 1972, Willie, for the third, was time a member of the U. S. Olympic Team and placed fourth in the hurdles at the Munich Olympic Games. In 1973, he received a Master's Degree in Physical Education from Southern University.

WILLIE D. DAVENPORT
Biographical Sketch II
Page 2

In 1975, Willie suffered a severe knee injury. Doctors predicted he could never compete again. Willie proved them wrong when he tried out for and made the 1976 Olympic Team. When President Ford visited the Olympic team site in Plattsburg, N. Y., Willie was chosen by his fellow athletes to be their spokesperson. Willie's fourth competition in the Olympics was in Montreal in 1976. He earned the bronze medal in the hurdles and was selected by his team members to carry the American flag in the closing ceremony.

Willie's involvement with the Olympics has taken him from being an athlete to a spokesman, to a member of the United State Olympic Committee. As part of the planning committee, Willie became interested in wider participation in the Winter Olympics. In 1980, he and one of his teammates became the first African Americans to represent the United States in the Winter Olympics. The team captured the best qualifying time and set a new world record in the four-man bobsled event during the Olympic trials.

In protest of the USSR?s invasion of Afghanistan, none of the US athletes attended the Summer Olympic Games of 1980. The following year, Willie Davenport was inducted into the National Track and Field Hall of Fame.

In 1987, Willie realized a long time dream of participating in the national television network "Superstars" event. As a competitor in those events, he became the Masters Superstars Champion. In 1991, he was inducted into the Olympic Hall of Fame, an honor reserved for only a few select individuals in the world.

In 1989, Willie received the Healthy American Fitness Leaders award under a program sponsored by Allstate Life Insurance Company. The program was administered by the US Jaycees and conducted in cooperation with the President's Council on Physical Fitness & Sports. He is an honored member of National Fitness Leaders Association (NFLA), the alumni organization of all the previous award winners.

Currently a Colonel in the Army National Guard, Willie is the Chief of the Sports Management office. Responsible for the formulation of plans, policies, procedures, and directing the Nation Guard Sports Program. He directs and manages the administrative, promotional and evaluative requirements and function of all sports program. He is the subject matter expertise, information, adviser and assistance to other sport agencies, and the 54 States and Territories. Willie also establishes priorities and provides guidance to state Sports Management office.

He has established the Willie D. Davenport Sports Foundation to provide college scholarships for young high school female athletes in Oregon. Willie continues his interest in sports by participating in fitness programs all over America, helping young men and women bring out their best by developing their minds and building their bodies.

From one past SWAC Hurdler to another, my condolences go out to his family.

May he rest in peace.

GOD Bless his Soul and his family.

This man was truly one of the great ones to ever put on the spikes!!!!!!! I see where they called him "Breeze", well in my opinion that could easily been "Fluid" because he was so smooth, or "Poetry in Motion" because if you ever saw him streach that long body out going over those hurdles it was truly a site to behold. Now some of you are to young to remember when they used to run LOW Hurdles AND HIGH Hurdles, to see Mr. Davenport run the high hurdles was a treat. He was a magnificent athlete. I think it was Ralph Boston who was quoted as saying that whenever WILLIE DAVENPORT was on the track including 'warm-ups', he (R.Boston) was going to stop whatever he was doing just to see Mr. Davenport step those hurdles.
I used to love seeing him race against Hayes Jones, and later against some of the new kids on the block like 'Skeets' Neahmiah when he (Mr. Davenport) was past his prime but could still compete with the youngsters. HE WAS ONE GREAT HURDLER!!

My condolences to his family and his SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY family. I know he has to be in the SU sports HOF.

Prayers go up!

God rest his soul and thanks be to the Lord for having the opportunity to see him represent Southern University, the SWAC and the USA in the Olympics.

My condolences to the Davenport family.

Col. Davenport was a true role model to all; an excellent person
and an exemplary leader.

The Southern community as well as others will miss him dearly.

May he rest in peace....

I am sad to hear of this news. I was not sure if anyone posted it.... but I posted the news on the small talk board. Sorry for the repeat. This great man and Icon will be missed :( :( :(

I am very sorry to hear this. He was a guest on a local radio (KCOH) talk show here in Houston just a few weeks ago. Gone so soon. My condolences to his family.

Back