Spring Practice of Tennessee State

G-QUE

Irby's big day helps cap good spring
By MAURICE PATTON
Staff Writer

It was a Blue day for Tennessee State football yesterday.

Kenny Irby threw a couple of first-half touchdown passes and Brian Harris was credited with six sacks as the Blue team defeated the White 20-14 in the annual spring game at Hale Stadium.

Irby, a transfer sophomore from Dale City, Va., via Marshall University, completed 7-of-9 passes for 153 yards and helped the Blue squad take a 20-0 halftime lead.

On the other side of the ball, Harris led a defensive unit that constantly harassed White QBs Bryson Rosser and Riley Walker ? who teamed for 11 completions on 26 attempts for 165 yards and four interceptions, one of which was returned by Montrell Pointer for a 40-yard touchdown.

The Tigers will have their final workout of the spring tomorrow afternoon. Third-year Coach James Reese liked what he saw of his team yesterday and throughout spring practice.

''The goals we had coming into spring, I think we accomplished,'' he said. ''We had good competition on the offensive and defensive lines. We saw the defensive line make great improvement, and the offensive line came together ? the No. 1 unit did. When they got ready to move the ball, they did it well.

''The quarterback situation will be settled; we'll know who will come in [for preseason workouts in August] No. 1. The next thing is, whether that person will have the savvy to keep the position.''

Heading into yesterday's game, Irby had established himself as the first-string quarterback and did little to affect that status.

On consecutive positions early in the game, Irby threw to tight end Anthony Brown for a 43-year score and to C.J. Johnson for a 56-yard TD.

''I think we came out and showed that our passing game is strong,'' Irby said

''We've got some receivers that are going to make some things happen. We've got a lot of dominating receivers and three good tailbacks. We've just got to get everybody the ball.''

Johnson finished with five catches for 144 yards, including a 46-yarder from Carlos Wright on a flanker pass.

Walker broke up the Blue's bid for a shutout with a 5-yard scoring pass to receiver Ivan Burley, then added some more pressure with a 59-yard TD throw to Kevin Hollis late in the game. The White team had the ball inside the Blue 40 when time ran out.

Harris and the Blue defense kept the White from generating much offense early.

''I knew we needed pressure from the defensive line,'' Harris said. ''I felt good, my legs were fresh. The coaches are looking for me to make big plays, and that's what I did.''

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back