Sporting News Mag says SU could beat Tulane

Blu Panther

The name says it all
I was looking at Conference USA reviews and it listed SU and Tulane as the conferences ugliest matchup.

(summary of the quote)

"It's bad that Tulane plays in a cavernous Superdome and their biggest payday is against 1-AA SU in Baton Rouge who bring thousands of folks. This game could get ugly fast and SU may defeat them.

True. But Tulane should have a much better defense this season. What mag were you referring to?

Go Jags !

I hope Southern beats Tulane. SWAC play against lower d1 schools and top 1AA schools is not good. People say the SWAC will never know how good the conference is unless they go far in the 1AA playoffs. So if Southern beats Tulane, that would look good for the Jags and the rest of the SWAC.

I think we'll all be rooting for SU when they play Tulane.....Just like I hope you'll root for JSU when they play USM.......

All the SWAC needs, is the media hype after one of our schools beats a D-1.

:tup:

Playoffs??

I know it will be difficult for Southern and Grambling to go to the playoffs because of the Bayou Classic is scheduled during the 1AA playoffs. A SWAC team need to win the 1AA championshio in order to get respect from the 1A schools. When SWAC schools play other conference 1AA schools, those schools benefit from the gate because the fans in the SWAC support their schools in full force. Now when Southern plays Tulane, I know the Jag Nation will be larger than Tulane, and I'm not a Southern alum. SWAC always lead the nation in attendance. Who are we suppose to play? In order to be the best you got to play the best. So when the coaches in the SWAC feel their talent levels on their teams are good enough to play good 1A & 1AA programs, and win, that's when the SWAC will get the respect.

GO SOUTHERN! GO GRAMBLING!

Originally posted by Blu Panther
The Sporting News

They did a decent job covering 1-AA but dropped it last year.

Yeah, I was wondering why I did not see anything on D-1-AA schools when I looked at one of the issues in Barnes & Nobles.

Originally posted by SAME OLD G

No it won't! But good luck anyway!

That is quite a presumptous statement. I viewed the S.U./Tulane ball game last year. The talent level was not radically different and the final score was not a good measuring stick. The officials set the tempo of this game early and often in the first half. Southern had at least 4 scoring opportunites in the second half and simply did not convert. This is in fact a game that can be won. If we execute and not turn the ball over we can win this game by at least 2 touchdowns. Special teams will be better this year also. This department can make or break the game. Trust SOG, I dont care how many blue chippers these boys have, they are not that good. S.U. in the 2nd half and the officials in the first half made these boys look wayyyy better than they really are.

I was at the game last year and there was not a big difference in talent level. The only 2 players on tulane that stood out was that running back (don't remember his name, but he was from Baton Rouge) and the QB (Ramsey) In my opinion, the big difference was coaching, our offense was to predicable. They scouted us well and knew the 3 plays we run out of each formation and our tendicies and habits. Their defense knew what we were doing and how to stop it. Their offense really mixed up the plays well and setup what they wanted to do.<br><br>As far as the officiating, you gotta be ready for some tough calls when you go on the road, you can't let that get you out of your game. THey did not physical dominate us at all. In fact, we might have had a slight advantage. We can win this game this year.

SU -- when people read the paper and notice a 41-7 defeat -- this is the sticking point. This was a bad loss for the SWAC. Tulane has been historically a cellar dweller (like your program) and a reputable showing would have spoken volumes for the SWAC.

The Gram and Louisville showing had less impact (nationally) if any (impact only felt in Gram because we are not accustomed to losing this way). Louisville was a top 25 team and won C-USA. Southern Miss has been one of the most respected programs for a while (since the Hallman days) -- they have gone into the Alabamas and won, to Lincoln, NE and Knoxville and fought hard. This will be a good measuring stick for J-State, but their win is not as critical. Tulane is getting comparable talent with Icon Gram and maybe SU, therefore SU is expected to compete.

Tulane beat you upfront last year and in the secondary -- the achilles heel for SU. SU can not do much worse than last year, and Tulane can not either. Scelfo is under pressure this year. I hope you clowns represent.

Hey GR, what if it's a tie?

Dude, do you hear all of these excuses from a 34 point loss? How hype do you think SU fan will be if they actually compete with Tulane or tie.

"We had them and let them get away"
"If we just had of scored"
etc etc.

Whoa be unto us if they comptete.

Man this board would be full of Jags.

Originally posted by GSUperTiger
SU -- when people read the paper and notice a 41-7 defeat -- this is the sticking point. This was a bad loss for the SWAC. Tulane has been historically a cellar dweller (like your program) and a reputable showing would have spoken volumes for the SWAC.

The Gram and Louisville showing had less impact (nationally) if any (impact only felt in Gram because we are not accustomed to losing this way). Louisville was a top 25 team and won C-USA. Southern Miss has been one of the most respected programs for a while (since the Hallman days) -- they have gone into the Alabamas and won, to Lincoln, NE and Knoxville and fought hard. This will be a good measuring stick for J-State, but their win is not as critical. Tulane is getting comparable talent with Icon Gram and maybe SU, therefore SU is expected to compete.

Tulane beat you upfront last year and in the secondary -- the achilles heel for SU. SU can not do much worse than last year, and Tulane can not either. Scelfo is under pressure this year. I hope you clowns represent.

Why have all this talent for writing bull s..t and not get paid for it. We all know that a ass whipping is ah ass whipping whether it be Louisville or Tulane. Dont sit here and talk out the side of your mouth ....( Louisville was a top 25 team )...that may be true but remember you claimed to be the all powerful GREATNESS....the Icon,yeah right. In closeing I'd like to say...I guess bama st. was a top 25 too uh !

Now now girls....

SU -- when people read the paper and notice a 41-7 defeat -- this is the sticking point. This was a bad loss for the SWAC. Tulane has been historically a cellar dweller (like your program) and a reputable showing would have spoken volumes
for the SWAC.

The Gram and Louisville showing had less impact (nationally) if any (impact only felt in Gram because we are not accustomed to losing this way). Louisville was a top 25 team and won C-USA. Southern Miss has been one of the most respected
programs for a while (since the Hallman days) -- they have gone into the Alabamas and won, to Lincoln, NE and Knoxville and fought hard. This will be a good measuring stick for J-State, but their win is not as critical. Tulane is getting
comparable talent with Icon Gram and maybe SU, therefore SU is expected to compete.

Ya'll be reachin' like a mo fo. If you weren't at the game, you don't know why SU loss and you don't know how. Tulane beat us on specialty teams and if it weren't for a fake punt, Mewelde Moore would not have had over 100 yards rushing. Look at all the fumbles/bungles/turnovers that SU had and say these words..."inside the Tulane 20 yard line".

Yes Tulane had one pass play that killed us, but they did not pass up and down the field on us. You have to ask a Tulane fan because you bustas ain't believin' isht from anyone who was there!!!

BTW, ain't but 4 SWAC teams that have beaten SU in the last 5 years and of those, JSU nipped us in the arse twice. So how the hell can anyone say any dayum thing about the JAGS??? We handled most of you with 3rd string frosh and sophs last year and this year we ain't isht? Ya'll betta wake the hell up!!!!!!

Like I said before, SU will beat TooLAME, irregardless of what you haters are hoping for.

So SAD. :smh:

Back