Spike Lee Movies

Dr. Sweet NUPE

I am watching He Got Game and I am noticing so many people, extras, everything...who have been in a lot of his movies. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

Yes, he has always had people in his movies that had recuring spots from movie to movie.

Go look at SchoolDaze and see how people you recognize.

Yeah, Spike done hooked some folks up. The main one, Samuel Jackson. From a Jheri curl wearing country homer to a crack addict. And look at him now. Yeah, Halle Berry was a crack head too. didn't even recognize her. He truly does not get his props. Folks were dead sleep on "The 25th Hour". That was a masterpiece.

Oh yeah, Martin Lawrence was in "Do The Right Thing". He discovered Rosie Perez. They don't make movies like that anymore. We in the "Soul Plane" era now. Thank goodness for "Ray".

Spike Lee Trade marks:

Frequently casts himself.

Frequently casts John Turturro,Samuel L. Jackson, Delroy Lindo, and Roger Guenveur Smith

His films frequently involve Afro-Americans and Afro-American themes.

Films called "A Spike Lee Joint"

Frequently has characters directly address the camera. Frequently places actors on dollies to achieve a gliding or rotating effect against the background of the shot.

His films often have the phrase "Wake Up!" as in an urging awaken to maturity and/or a social conscience.

Baseball: Every one of his narrative feature films makes reference to baseball teams and players.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0000490/bio
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

northern tiger said:
. . . We in the "Soul Plane" era now . . .

If black folk would stop paying good money to see that trash, they would stop making it.

Don't get me started on Barbershop ! ! ! :smh:

Duece, it's supply, and demand. Hollywood's answer to a easy buck, without spending a buck, is to put rapper's and Comic View vets in a movie together for a million bucks or so, and they sit back, and rake in the dough, because that's what some black folk want to see.

The same goes for Spike, he has a faithful black audience that loves his work, and then there's a black audience that can't stand him, or his movies. I will give him his props though, he's very faithful to the actor's, and film crews he works with.

As blacks, we're very divided on movies. Probably as divided a race when it comes to movies as there are. Theres's a faction that loves intelligence, romance, and historical significance in a film, and then there's the faction that can't stand those. They crave low budget comedies, and hood shoot em up movies, with bad acting, and bad directing, but they will swear it's the greatest movie ever made. The true sad thing is, it's a rare occassion that they actually agree on what's good, or bad. Dayum being black is cool.

When I was in the dating arena, I would really pay attention to what types of movies a woman watched as a point of reference as to what kind of woman I may be dealing with. There were a lot of things that told me about a woman that wasn't obvious, but when I needed a tie-breaker, I would always refer back to what types of movies she owned, watched, and wanted to see.

Call it picky, foolish, crazy, or whatever, but it worked.

NICE

Barbershop ain't bad...

I'm one who like Spike's movies but I know some who hate them...and the ones I know who hate them are actually the ones who hate the "hood" movies too. I like them all if it makes me laugh or think, even though I never saw Soul Plane.

D-NICE said:
When I was in the dating arena, I would really pay attention to what types of movies a woman watched as a point of reference as to what kind of woman I may be dealing with. There were a lot of things that told me about a woman that wasn't obvious, but when I needed a tie-breaker, I would always refer back to what types of movies she owned, watched, and wanted to see.

Call it picky, foolish, crazy, or whatever, but it worked.

NICE

I thought I was the only person who did that. Whew. Man, this one girl told me that she didn't like the second Matrix film because it made her think too much. :confused:

NT, I know bruh. I had one (mind you, she was 26 at the time) that told me "Belly" was the best movie she'd ever seen, and I was like :confused: . She had the tape, and dvd, and since they've re-released it on dvd, I'm sure she has that one too. :rolly:

J4L, I'm with you on Barbershop, good comedy, with a good message. Though, I think they should end it right here, and not make a 3rd installment. But, with the gate receipts being what they were for Part II, I'm almost certain they'll make a 3rd.

NICE

D-NICE said:
NT, I know bruh. I had one (mind you, she was 26 at the time) that told me "Belly" was the best movie she'd ever seen, and I was like :confused: . She had the tape, and dvd, and since they've re-released it on dvd, I'm sure she has that one too. :rolly:

Belly??? LOL Yeah you did right to let her go.

J4L, I didn't let her go right off the top, I just put a lot of restrictions on her. Like, what social scenes to bring her to, NO office, or family functions, only late night movies at the theater (because she talked to the television screen, even though she knew what was about to happen, so I knew what she'd do to a movie screen), and carry out meals from a local Chinese establishment.

Nothing like dating a cheap woman, with no frills, and good bed skills.

NICE

I've noticed this a long time ago. He is one of the few directors that can recycle their actor/resses and have act totally different from the last role you saw them in.

Back