Spears is the interim coach!!

"I'm very grateful that Dr. Clausen made a quick decision after it was resolved that we couldn't keep coach Williams," Spears said late Wednesday, after speaking with members of the ULS. "It would really be a blessing just to have an opportunity to lead a program of this nature."

With Spears leading the offense, Grambling State won three straight Southwestern Athletic Conference titles, beginning in 2000.

"My task is to continue the legacy that coach Eddie Robinson and coach Williams have set forth," Spears said. "We just hope to do as well."

LINK: http://www.thenewsstar.com/grambling/html/D4C630B3-ACEB-4817-B36A-40D3A6219FF9.shtml

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Congraduation to coach Spears! IMO he should do a fine job this upcoming season with the G-MEN.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You so busy slamming those poor people that you forgot to spell check this thread, even with an "attempt" to fix it first! :lol:

Advice to Coach Spears from the genius internet Coach, Gramfan:

* Try running the ball more. That is, with your running backs. We all know how potent the passing game is. Our QB shouldn't be the team's leading rusher like he was this past season. You have two capable backs in Tolbert and Kuaan. Running the ball will take pressure off of Eugene, and in my opinion, make him a better QB. Minus Eugene's rushing the ball 97 times last year, our pass to run percentage was 68%-32%. I'd be happy with 60%-40%.

* Please don't try to copy Michael Roach's overly-agressive 4-3 defensive blitz . . .err, I mean scheme. Your defensive linemen are good enough to put pressure on a QB without having a strong safety and/or outside linebackers blitzing to get to him. Now, I'm not saying you dont blitz at all but the idea of blitzing on almost every play is ridiculous. It puts too much pressure on your cornerbacks to cover WRs all game long.

*Get someone in there to work with Brian Morgan and the kicking game. After the freshman year Brian had there is no way he should have been 12 of 21 in field goal attempts this past season. I can only imagine the drop off he had the last two seasons was because he didnt have anyone really working with him. And yes, I do realize he had that hip injury or whatever during the 2002 season but he even struggled with extra points then.

Anyway, im done.

Originally posted by GramFan

* Try running the ball more. That is, with your running backs. We all know how potent the passing game is. Our QB shouldn't be the team's leading rusher like he was this past season. You have two capable backs in Tolbert and Kuaan. Running the ball will take pressure off of Eugene, and in my opinion, make him a better QB. Minus Eugene's rushing the ball 97 times last year, our pass to run percentage was 68%-32%. I'd be happy with 60%-40%.

* Please don't try to copy Michael Roach's overly-agressive 4-3 defensive blitz . . .err, I mean scheme. Your defensive linemen are good enough to put pressure on a QB without having a strong safety and/or outside linebackers blitzing to get to him. Now, I'm not saying you dont blitz at all but the idea of blitzing on almost every play is ridiculous. It puts too much pressure on your cornerbacks to cover WRs all game long.

*Get someone in there to work with Brian Morgan and the kicking game. After the freshman year Brian had there is no way he should have been 12 of 21 in field goal attempts this past season. I can only imagine the drop off he had the last two seasons was because he didnt have anyone really working with him. And yes, I do realize he had that hip injury or whatever during the 2002 season but he even struggled with extra points then.

Anyway, im done.

~snicker~ Very well put! co-signing. IMO Spears will air the "L" out the ball.

Grambling State Names Melvin Spears Interim Head Coach
Grambling State University Sports Information, Peter G. Forest

... Prior to his appointment, Spears spent the previous six seasons as the assistant head coach and offensive coordinator with the Tigers' coaching staff. ...

... In 1997, Spears moved back to his home state of Louisiana to take on the position of assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at Grambling State. He has been very instrumental in the Tigers' three consecutive National Black College and SWAC Championship title runs. Spears' offensive units have been among the leaders in the SWAC in several offensive categories during his time as the G-Men's offensive coordinator. ...

Originally posted by GramFan

* Try running the ball more. That is, with your running backs. We all know how potent the passing game is. Our QB shouldn't be the team's leading rusher like he was this past season.

Sound like another SWAC school. Oh well....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by TRU2GSU
Sorry for the typo. "Congradulations".:D To coach Spears!

It's still a typo....................:lmao: :lmao:

CONGRATULATIONS :emlaugh:

Back