Southern Vs. Jackson State 1983

TAPE MASTER

JSU Pt. 1

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u4Szk944lVg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u4Szk944lVg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JSU Pt. 2

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/21t57aIZCJA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/21t57aIZCJA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JSU Pt. 3

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qCSub2qv7k8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qCSub2qv7k8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SU Pt. 1

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3RWvk495e7k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3RWvk495e7k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SU Pt. 2

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pN4WZZYitk8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pN4WZZYitk8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SU Pt. 3

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdDkbNOSgTQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdDkbNOSgTQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SU Pt. 4

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIXnu9jcquE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIXnu9jcquE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ah the performance that sent me on to SU. 83 SU band was the greatest one I ever witnessed. This JSU fans gave up more house to this performance than I have ever witnessed as well. None stop entertainment that night.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
aye, that drill from JSU was fye

Step 1 mixed with Step 2 (think thats what happened).....i might have 2 rechart that drill :D

Ah the performance that sent me on to SU. 83 SU band was the greatest one I ever witnessed. This JSU fans gave up more house to this performance than I have ever witnessed as well. None stop entertainment that night.

Thanks LB! Man, my squad was out-rocking the entire band; even "Mr. Real Love" was crunk that game.....:lmao:

I noticed the J-Settes didn't roll or flip around on the ground. Good performance by both bands. Attendance was 57,000!

That's when they could count in Memorial Stadium.:lmao:

It was probably more than that. Because all us HS bands got in free that had marched in the JSU homecoming parade earlier that day in Oct of 83. We all walked in at the gate where the bands march in at. So I know we didn't get counted for attendance.

That was one of the few shows that we didn't fast cadence into block band. Basically we when straight from concert formation right into the dance routine off of the song "Raid".

BEST SU band I ever laid eyes on...
83 were some marching machines....

Thanks to the late Mr. Chester White marching our tails in hot sun all day, just to stop and tell us that we were doing a marvelous job, a outstanding job, a super job of fugging up and he was going to march our tails until he got tire and he wasn't moving a muthr fugging muscle.:lmao:

Boy that was the Good Ole Days.

I can't believed it has been 25 yrs. During my fours in the box (quad 27) I don't think I experience anything like that night. It was nice to have my High School band in the stands (they marched in JSU homecoming parade)and my Girlfriend was in attendance (JSU freshman) . We blew the Boom away, I even stayed on JSU campus that night with a homeboy, which added insult to their injury.

When the Boom came to Mumford a year later (1984), I was able to understand how they felt the year before. Man those were good memories.

That is definitely one of SU's Greatest Bands ever! I remember going down to BR with my high school director, early in the season during the week as we did from time to time throughout the year, and Mr. Johnson told my director that the '83 class was the best since one of the noted great 70's classes (I think it was '76 - but I've forgotten). Now, I was hella impressed already, because I had been really watching and listening to SU for a couple of years and was already sold on going to SU. Now, to hear that this is the class since a class that was after Mr. Johnson and my band director, really added value to just how impressive this class was. For, Mr. Johnson never really talked about classes in comparison. So, that was a major compliment. In fact, he noted how many of them were stepping in and immediately assuming spots on the field. Back then, it was hard to come to SU and hit the field immediately and supposingly this class did a lot of that.

SU use to always have impeccably loud and clear sound. But, the '83 band was even clearer and ever louder than a typical SU band. I remember hearing them on the radio against PV in Houston playing "Boogie Down", Al Jarreau. They were facing the SU side, visiting side, for the Dolls to perform. Well, it sounded the same as when they were doing the drill and the same as when they were facing the home side. In fact, the commentators were doing an interview and they stop down to apologize for the sound of the band more than bleeding through the press box even with their backs to them. WOW! They simply filled a stadium with pure quality sound. Hella musicians with even more hellacious arrangers (Roy Johnson and Eric Baskins) pushing those fellas to some amazingly impeccable levels of achievement.

JR made his mind up to head to SU that night. Well, I did it after their '82 Bayou Classic show. They did "Let It Whip" for the dance routine and brought the house down. After stopping and counting themselves off, they went right into "Sexual Healing", major house! So, I was already going. But, the '83 season put icing on the cake, sealed the coffin, dead bolt locked the doors, made it a point of no return. So, many folks at and from my high school were JSU alums and former Sonic Boom members, all of the questions about me going to SU came to a complete rest.... YES!

This is the first time I've seen that on the internet. There is a lot of stuff labeled '83 on the internet. But, it is '84 (me and JR's crab year). This is truly that '83 year.

Thanks for sharing...

Peace...

I get as excited watching this ole clip as I did in '83... Wow! That was cool. I just let my son watch it. He was tripping on how much JSU fans were cheering when SU was coming off the field. I've told him about this performance and our '85 and '87 performances and how the JSU crowd and the SU crowd were both up hollaring. This shows him the ole' man ain't just over bragging about how things use to be and level to which we considered a successful performance.

Thanks again...

Peace...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I noticed the J-Settes didn't roll or flip around on the ground. Good performance by both bands. Attendance was 57,000!

JR,
Am I crossing up my years? I thought it was 63,500 at the game. Am I wrong or was that '85? I thought I remember them saying it was Memorial Stadium's largest crowd, with that to be topped by the Alcorn vs MVSU Championship Game on a Sunday. Help me out LB...

Peace...

The fiercest band I ever encountered was Southern's 1983 band. Not knocking other GREAT bands of that era (and there were some great ones)....this particular version of The Jukebox had something special.

The stadium they marched into was water........and they were electricity. That's about the best way I can describe them. The "proof in the pudding" is crowd response. Hell....our crowd was practically having orgasms as SU drilled.

These cats didnt' just put on a show. They ENTERTAINED our fans. In return, our fans fell in love with them and were officially under their spell.

As most bandheads know, a successful BATTLE OF THE BANDS show needs more variety than the average halftime performance. The 83' version of the Jukes were a traveling Battle of the Bands show that wrecked shop and captivated audiences everywhere they went. If you dont feel me....im sorry. I guess you simply had to be there to understand. Peace fam.

This bought back many fond childhood memories of watching the boom practice hard at the baseball field and then put on a great show on Saturday!!! :tup: I can feel the excitement. Great performance by Southern. It was like being at a concert.

Last edited:
If I had know halftime performances like that would end one day, I would have not missed a football game.

JR,
Am I crossing up my years? I thought it was 63,500 at the game. Am I wrong or was that '85? I thought I remember them saying it was Memorial Stadium's largest crowd, with that to be topped by the Alcorn vs MVSU Championship Game on a Sunday. Help me out LB...

Peace...

It was 58,000 in 83. It was JSU's homecoming. All us HS bands had just marched the JSU homecoming parade that day. At the time I was still a JSU homer even though I already knew I wasn't headed there for school. Just had not decided on where. SU's performance made me take a look at the school and when I found out they had Engineering/Science majors and Naval ROTC.......then it was wrap just in case I didn't get that USNA appointment. Great band plus what I needed academically.

MVSU and Alcorn had the overflow crowd our crab year(84) at SU. I remember that game because it was played on a Sunday. We(homeboys from the crib) rolled out after our home game that Saturday night against NC A&T.

85 had another large SU and JSU crowd as well. It was their homecoming again. Not that we duplicated what the 83 band did to them.........but we shole did have the crowd in our pockets the whole night in 85. The first time a JSU crowd cheered for "The Show" and it wasn't because the Boom played it either. :lol:

The Great 80s when Bands were Bands and if you took a night off...........you would get your arse handed to you. No one went undefeated back then in band battles. You were going to take a "L" sooner or later. The great thing about being in the Juke was we could count the "L's" on a few fingers during our 4 year run. It was about halftimes back then. Not the stands. Everybody had music to play then and for us the stands was a given anyway. I remember feeling down if we lost a halftime and got no solace for winning the stand battle. It is just the opposite now a days.:shame:

Oh how I wish we had some of that same halftime entertainment nowadays!

No ground humping...not that any of these bands do that...
Singing with clarity...actually hearing the soloists/artists
REAL R&B ballads!
Good times and props to both bands at the end of performances.
No tomfoolery bout stupid isht!

I MISS those days.... :sick:

Thanks for the memories!!!

It was 58,000 in 83. It was JSU's homecoming. All us HS bands had just marched the JSU homecoming parade that day. At the time I was still a JSU homer even though I already knew I wasn't headed there for school. Just had not decided on where. SU's performance made me take a look at the school and when I found out they had Engineering/Science majors and Naval ROTC.......then it was wrap just in case I didn't get that USNA appointment. Great band plus what I needed academically.

MVSU and Alcorn had the overflow crowd our crab year(84) at SU. I remember that game because it was played on a Sunday. We(homeboys from the crib) rolled out after our home game that Saturday night against NC A&T.

85 had another large SU and JSU crowd as well. It was their homecoming again. Not that we duplicated what the 83 band did to them.........but we shole did have the crowd in our pockets the whole night in 85. The first time a JSU crowd cheered for "The Show" and it wasn't because the Boom played it either. :lol:

The Great 80s when Bands were Bands and if you took a night off...........you would get your arse handed to you. No one went undefeated back then in band battles. You were going to take a "L" sooner or later. The great thing about being in the Juke was we could count the "L's" on a few fingers during our 4 year run. It was about halftimes back then. Not the stands. Everybody had music to play then and for us the stands was a given anyway. I remember feeling down if we lost a halftime and got no solace for winning the stand battle. It is just the opposite now a days.:shame:

My sentiments exactly JR! The Jukebox was gonna clean everybody's clock in the stands(given)! But who cares? If you don't house out at halftimme then it was all for naught.

The great thing about being in the Juke was we could count the "L's" on a few fingers during our 4 year run. It was about halftimes back then. Not the stands. Everybody had music to play then and for us the stands was a given anyway. I remember feeling down if we lost a halftime and got no solace for winning the stand battle. It is just the opposite now a days.:shame:

Halftime was for the fans... What they call 5th Quarter now, was about each band's pride and tradition. It mattered to all of us what the fans thought of our performance. So, yes, halftime made all that work and preparation worth while. Yeah, we wanted to also earn the respect year-end and year-out of our opponents, but that meant nothing if our crowd was not on their feet giving it up for us.

It seems these days directors and bandsmen feel they are the stuff and if the fans don't give it, "Oh well, the crowd don't know good when they see or hear it..." :shame:

No wonder so few people are talking about band's shows on Monday, not to mention weeks or years later.

Peace...

I ain't no hater. Got to give credit where credit is due. Those were two fire ass shows!!!! Against anyone else on that day JSU would have won. But Southern served it up. I felt chillz when ole both hit that high note when he was singing and the crowd went crazy..........props to both bands though.

I ain't no hater. Got to give credit where credit is due. Those were two fire ass shows!!!! Against anyone else on that day JSU would have won. But Southern served it up. I felt chillz when ole both hit that high note when he was singing and the crowd went crazy..........props to both bands though.

I use to debate internally with whether it was an advantage to go first or second. Going last, you know what you are up against. Going first you set the bar for the crowd that night. Bottom-line after 9 years of band battles, do you best to have the best show, execute it better than anyone could possibly execute it, and do no present an idea too early or too late in the season and it shouldn't matter whether you go first of last... lol Such is the struggle with planning a perfect show for every crowd that you will face and to get everyone of your bandsmen to lay it on the line all out every show, no matter who is in the crowd, no matter who is across the field, whether it is the first time parts of the show are performed or the fifth.

As my LB said, its too late when you realize that you let your guard down and someone slipped in and made your show appear less than impressive.

All out every day, every practice, every performance and one day you may reach a moment of impeccable long lasting memorable and bar setting accomplishment. Thus, was thus performance and 25 years later it is still really impressive, though it wasn't captured on today's state of art digital technology.

Keep building better bands and working to make each the very best they can be.

Peace...

Back