Southern University School of Medicine?

Earle

Dr. Ronald Andrews of the East Baton Rouge Board of Medical Examiners, together with Dr. Rani Whitfield, SU board member, both board-certified physicians, and the SUBOS have committed themselves and their organizations and resources to bring a medical school to North Baton Rouge and Southern University. For more info see the BOS April 2023 meeting

You posted this in the wrong section. However, I do believe this would be amazing for SU, NBR (black side of town), and HBCUs but I don't think it's gonna happen. Xavier is already in the works of possibly building a medical school only about an hour away which makes sense b/c they are the #1 producer of Black doctors and have the fourth largest endowment in the state (SU almost last). I will be surprised if SU can put this together b/c they have more working against it than for it ... but definitely need more Black doctors out here

Dr. Ronald Andrews of the East Baton Rouge Board of Medical Examiners, together with Dr. Rani Whitfield, SU board member, both board-certified physicians, and the SUBOS have committed themselves and their organizations and resources to bring a medical school to North Baton Rouge and Southern University. For more info see the BOS April 2023 meeting
Good move if SU can get it done. I'm hoping it can.

You posted this in the wrong section. However, I do believe this would be amazing for SU, NBR (black side of town), and HBCUs but I don't think it's gonna happen. Xavier is already in the works of possibly building a medical school only about an hour away which makes sense b/c they are the #1 producer of Black doctors and have the fourth largest endowment in the state (SU almost last). I will be surprised if SU can put this together b/c they have more working against it than for it ... but definitely need more Black doctors out here

My brother, and two cousins are graduates of Xavier and all are physicians.

yeah....XU beat y'all to the punch and I think that's a wrap. Bama State has talked about a med school and a law school but I haven't heard anything further about it. Morgan State is opening a medical school as well.

What will make this work is that this will be thay is located in North Baton Rouge. It is an area that is GREATLY underserved in healthcare. Southern would be smart in actually partnering with XU and incorporating the nursing school in this venture.

There are two medical schools in New Orleans, right next to each other. Why can’t Southern have a medical school? It could serve a number of African students nationwide and internationally. The key is to serve a specific niche. I’m for a dental school, as well. Go Southern!!!

Even if a Medical School does not come about, because of the powers in the State, SU needs to create a PA program. I also would like the Allied Health and Nursing school at SU to add a PhD in Healthcare Administration.

I personally tshink it is highly likely that this medical school will come to fruition. First and foremost this idea has been floating around for a while now, maybe 3 to 5 years. This is not a novel idea. The BOS never gives this much time and attention to a project that is unlikely to come about. The issues with Xavier has been thoroughly discussed and considered. Xavier has made it known that theirs is strictly a private school undertaking. With only 5 percent of physicians in LOUISIANA being Black compared to 13 percent nationally, there is plenty of space for a public medical at Southern.

I personally tshink it is highly likely that this medical school will come to fruition. First and foremost this idea has been floating around for a while now, maybe 3 to 5 years. This is not a novel idea. The BOS never gives this much time and attention to a project that is unlikely to come about. The issues with Xavier has been thoroughly discussed and considered. Xavier has made it known that theirs is strictly a private school undertaking. With only 5 percent of physicians in LOUISIANA being Black compared to 13 percent nationally, there is plenty of space for a public medical at Southern.
I know you hate the truth but I'm gonna share it anyway. SU can't even secure enough funds to fix most of the campus and properly renovate FG Clark which they use a lot. FG Clark is still extremely outdated, the library is extremely outdated, the roads on campus need improvement, most of the buildings on campus are outdated, abandoned buildings they let sit up b/c they can't afford to demolish or remodel. Where will they find the funds for a medical school?

I know you hate the truth but I'm gonna share it anyway. SU can't even secure enough funds to fix most of the campus and properly renovate FG Clark which they use a lot. FG Clark is still extremely outdated, the library is extremely outdated, the roads on campus need improvement, most of the buildings on campus are outdated, abandoned buildings they let sit up b/c they can't afford to demolish or remodel. Where will they find the funds for a medical school?
I agree.

So, the problem belongs to Southern, and not the history of funding shortages by the state legislature? Ask yourself if other race public colleges in the state have the same problems as Southern and Grambling, and then ask why not? You already know the answer.

So, the problem belongs to Southern, and not the history of funding shortages by the state legislature? Ask yourself if other race public colleges in the state have the same problems as Southern and Grambling, and then ask why not? You already know the answer.
It's both SU and the state's problem. SU could work harder to secure more funds from capital investments, the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, alumni, and good meaning wealthy white donors. Alcorn received $20 million in 2020 from a white woman billionaire ... see how that works. But SU isn't under great leadership just like most HBCUs. There's only a handful of so that are. The best you get with most HBCUs is so-so leadership, not spectacular not terrible just so-so

SUBR is literally going through the biggest construction projects in university history. I see most folks don’t know what’s going on. New College of Science and Stem building, New College of Business building, New housing village and Honor dorm, renovations to the existing nursing school building, another 3 story addition to the nursing school building, a brand new campus police station building, a global innovation building, and a campus amphitheater with outdoor classrooms. Future projects will be (administration building, new student center, lab school, and student services building and renovation and new law school wing, renovation, and new addition to the engineering building (3 new engineering degrees approved)

It's both SU and the state's problem. SU could work harder to secure more funds from capital investments, the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, alumni, and good meaning wealthy white donors. Alcorn received $20 million in 2020 from a white woman billionaire ... see how that works. But SU isn't under great leadership just like most HBCUs. There's only a handful of so that are. The best you get with most HBCUs is so-so leadership, not spectacular not terrible just so-so
ASU is starting to get small private sector donations, but we have not been successful at wealthy individual donors.

ASU is starting to get small private sector donations, but we have not been successful at wealthy individual donors.
No HBCUs are except maybe Spelman, Morehouse, and Howard ... and those donations 98% of the time will come from white people. Don't feel bad, in fact most public colleges don't get donations from wealthy donors ... it's mainly the more popular flagship type ones (Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Texas, UGA, UAB etc).

Back