Southern University Dancing Dolls Celebrating 40th Year Anniversary

JAGCAT

http://www.2theadvocate.com/features/59862447.html?showAll=y&c=y

By CAROL ANNE BLITZER
Advocate staff writer

Sep 20, 2009

Forty years have passed since the Dancing Dolls first marched onto the field to perform with the Southern University Marching Band, but the eight original Dolls will never forget the excitement of that night.

“When we walked in, we were just the most precious things that anybody had ever seen,â€￾ said Mauretta Wailes Hurst, one of the original eight. “Everybody just oohed and aahed.â€￾

Isaac Greggs, who served as Southern’s band director for 36 years, selected the original eight. He knew them all from his previous position as band director at the Southern University Laboratory School.

A State-Times article June 16, 1969, when Greggs accepted the position at Southern, reported that what he wanted from the band was “a lot of pageantry, excitement and precision maneuvers.â€￾

He also wanted some pretty young women to add pizzazz to his all-male band. So he brought in Gracie Perkins, who was doing her practice teaching at the Lab School, to organize the Dancing Dolls.

Back Down Memory Lane...

3QYj6f074j9FjZ52dJsVLcNyAGTr4YgH.jpg

BGDQJnluzT-3flfJhPxMFxn1VWGHUPjB.jpg

cFqOw7kr1T911yZQU1f6nPrXrky_9yL8.jpg

p05KJhV84j-YG5pWw4YZ8m_yHXCheldh.jpg

uEuDSzgS4j-FKaBJgye9SR8JH0l1sYYO.jpg

oVNFh8E57j9vUb2ASLt0Vj3XSYxS1DGt.jpg

l74nSpil5z9Qcw1XfaE5UABaKy-YuJnd.jpg

6icN-GdE3D9AcdnbA54LMBol0IgbQ7lh.jpg

Wo0VTFHo4j-rgEO0fqSrov-RoDuOPROG.jpg

el0EXO_R2j-kdZA55nG3kxIdKMEEDjCC.jpg

3G-foMF13z8eUiuQ-noX3c0yeLsR4Y0h.jpg

TDWYWe2O3z_1zOH_-8EiSBhxjE7Vyop4.jpg

tq_GjzsR3j9IhOScDdW8-NNHZlaW0KVA.jpg

xXl-tm0A5z-32WCej_hci1pDm7sbWjcb.jpg

S0Rui-P-4T9wb9ayV4-nPjEPBibTSbW0.jpg

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back Down Memory Lane...

oVNFh8E57j9vUb2ASLt0Vj3XSYxS1DGt.jpg

1981-1982! I remember this squad! The first squad that I ever remember that had a better performance than the J-Settes and the J-Settes were awesome in 1981! The Dancing Dolls were shaking that azz more than the law allowed! :clap:

Mane as A kid attending SU games... These Ladies Were and Still Is :cuddle::cuddle: :clap::clap:

Class
:clap:

The Dancing Dolls dressed in gold with the hat and capes are the cutest. The ones on the 6th row look like the Rockettes.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Lol!! You beat me to it. Pop you know red bones have strong genes. It will hard to keep the family dark. Lol

:lol: sholl do! :nod: My donor was black as LeBron's shirt, yet I came out the same color as my Ma. We have a family full of redbones, with 2 dark skinns and they are men, and those men have redbone seeds. :lol:

:lol: sholl do! :nod: My donor was black as LeBron's shirt, yet I came out the same color as my Ma. We have a family full of redbones, with 2 dark skinns and they are men, and those men have redbone seeds. :lol:

I hate to have to be the one to tell you but you don't look like you's a redbone to me sista. To me it looks like you got a light caramel thang going on. You almost made it and i'm sure you know what they say about almost.

70s Dolls
eKLCKj7osj8Jajpdbt0aTYIOU5LanNrO.jpg

80s Dolls
3gLCOC2y6z_96xWUDi1h6o6zbW8epbPk.jpg

The Original Doll Uniform
ux_DPpd_5j-88YedOl29ci_CgXAPj2_B.jpg'

Dolls at the Reunion Reception Honoring the 1969 line.
1-USo_MI4z_GqSAi8LOcge6B2HYC1pt5.jpg

The Original Line with Mr. Paul Adams, Ms. Gracie Perkins (1st Coordinator) and Dr. Isaac Greggs
TGJTo6Jp1D9ywpb_83gQvYfe-Ybiy9yj.jpg

Back