Southern University aims to protect key programs from budget cuts

EB

I am not sure if this was posted somewhere else.

----------

Southern University aims to protect key programs from budget cuts
Published: Tuesday, July 20, 2010, 6:00 AM

The chancellor of Southern University's main campus in Baton Rouge said Monday that he will recommend $4.6 million in budget cuts to the Southern University Board of Supervisors that could result in another 50 layoffs and the merging or termination of some courses and majors at the school.

Kofi Lomotey told the Press Club of Baton Rouge that he hopes to spare major budget reductions to the campus' three key programs: business, nursing and engineering.

"Southern University must create a niche" and those three programs are the foundation of that area of specialization, he said. He said he hopes they can escape with "minimum cuts."

omotey said the Southern campus also faces the prospect of having to close its school of architecture next fall because of the dollar pinch. Campus spokesman Ed Pratt said the university is still exploring methods to keep it open, including reaching out to alumni for financial help.

SU will pull through this, just like JSU did back in the mid 80's. I didn't know that SU's enrollment dropped from 8,600 to 7,600 in two years. I thought the BR campus had at least 10,000.

Chancellor Lomotey is an incredibly smart man and doing what he can so the stronger programs at Southern can flourish. I do hate the School of Architecture is the one possibly being cut - they just received a six-year accreditation approval. However, I'd rather cut a department or a group of excess jobs than to see an entire institution shut. This situation is not just happening at SU, it's happening elsewhere including LSU and ULL. Most schools in Louisiana and other states are considering the same alternative. The U.S. economy is down now and everybody is feeling effects. Sure a group of SU people are going to be pissed - they're losing they're jobs. But it's about the bigger picture and that's looking out for the future of the school. Southern will be fine.

Folks at SU are already attacking Mason, give the man some room to breath. Damn, SU needs to stop all that fighting amongst themselves and pay those faculty members and cut those top administrators.

Folks at SU are already attacking Mason, give the man some room to breath. Damn, SU needs to stop all that fighting amongst themselves and pay those faculty members and cut those top administrators.

Where was Mason's name mentioned?

In the advocate yesterday there is an article entitled "State Legislature opposes SU Chancellor's decision making." It talks about SU cutting 50 staff jobs and cutting the Architect department, while Mason wants to pay to of his assist top dollar

Great because Architecture schools are needed to enhance our black communities. These grads will be assisting w/community development, plus my brother finished from SU's architecture school and I'm glad that SU supporters didn't let it close. Here is some advice, watch every move that Mason makes and stand up to him like the JSU alumns did. He will assist in development but he will cut, merge and eliminate jobs also.

The school of Architecture will not be closed. It was in The Advocate today.

Look son, how about you and your "SU infatuation" step outside of BR for a minute and worry about what's going on in Jackson. Some of this stuff you're posting about Southern doesn't even make sense. If all the recent accomplishments at JSU can be attributed to Mason then you guys should have fought to keep him there. But guess what? You didn't. You dropped the ball. Now you're salty - sitting on TSPN trying to make Southern look bad by distorting facts and occurrences. You're just as bad as Andrew Breitbart. Desperate and pitiful.

Besides, it was Chancellor Lomotey's choice to close the School of Architecture, not Mason's.

Back