Southern Names New Chancellor

THAMES

chancellor+1+52508.jpg

ENNY CULBERT/Advocate

I see Southern got a new Chancellor this week-end. He seems more than qualified. I say congrats and give the guy a chance. However, what's up with all the COMMENTS. Some of them seem pretty negative.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kofi Lomotey of Fisk University in Nashville, Tenn. and his wife, Nahuja, are all smiles after his appointment Saturday as the new chancellor of Southern University. He will take over July 1..

SU Names New Chancellor
By JORDAN BLUM
Advocate Capitol news bureau
Published: May 25, 2008 - UPDATED: 12:05 a.m.

Comments (17)

Southern University picked a new chancellor Saturday.

Southern University System President Ralph Slaughter and the Board of Supervisors chose Kofi Lomotey, 57, of Fisk University in Tennessee out of three finalists.

Lomotey was picked on a 9-6 vote at the end of a five-hour meeting that included final interviews on campus.

Those board members voting in opposition said they wanted more time to deliberate after interviewing the three for the first time Saturday.

The Southern?s chancellor search committee began interviewing a large pool of applicants in early April, presenting the three finalists to the full board.

With his wife, Nahuja, at his side, Lomotey said, ?We?re extremely pleased and excited.?

The Fisk executive vice president and provost was chosen over Southern University at Shreveport Chancellor Ray Belton and Alcorn State University Vice President for Academic Affairs Napoleon Moses.....

link...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/19242204.html#commentsHeader

Two generations of my family went to Fort Valley State where he was the president. While I have not talked to them face-to-face about him, I have heard mixed feeling about him. There are some who were angry about issues concerning AG and teacher education.

However, his successor at Fort Valley, Dr. Larry Rivers, is getting some good reviews.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back