Southern coach teaching finer points of game

Blacknbengal

Southern coach teaching finer points of game

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

Advocate staff photo by Bill Feig
Southern offensive coordinator David Oliver watches the offensive line go through drills.
For a big guy -- and, frankly, David Oliver is a huge guy -- the little things stand out.

In the last month he's taught the nuances of stances to offensive linemen, proper foot placement to a place-kicker and passing angles to quarterbacks.

For the first time in 10 seasons, the Southern University football team will have a new offensive coordinator, with Oliver taking over for Mark Orlando, who took the same post at Texas Southern.

Oliver's attention to details got him hired after five seasons at Tulane. And the teaching of those details make him stand out, figuratively. He already stands out literally.

"He knows it all," Southern head coach Pete Richardson said. "We didn't have to teach him the system. He came in and already knew it.

"He changed the terminology, but he brought a lot of the little things we didn't have that now will make us into a better football team."

Though Oliver will call plays from the press box like Orlando and use the same, basic no-huddle, spread offense as Orlando, that's about where the similarities end.

Orlando is a former quarterback with a studious approach to practice. He could be riled, but he chose his spots.

Oliver, a former two-time All-American tight end at Division II Northern Colorado, is vocal, almost confrontational, but always enthusiastic. Even so, players don't mind the added volume to practice.

"Coach Oliver may relate to the players a little bit better," wide receiver Michael Hayes said. "It seems like we can talk to him a little more."

Perhaps it's because for the first time in most players' careers -- even those of mammoth lineman -- they have to look up when they hear the coach barking.

"He's more face-to-face," quarterback Quincy Richard said. "He's going to tell you what you did wrong, but he does it in a good way. He tells you every day whatever he says on the field stays there; after practice, he'll be the first one to joke with you."

Oliver's ability to relate to players is a key reason he's able to teach all those fine details.

"He's a little more outgoing (than Orlando)," Richardson said. "He's a little boisterous. He's going to get after them. And I think the players appreciate that. They understand he understands the little things."

Oliver, at 32 and the son of an Air Force colonel, is in his first job as an offensive coordinator.

He spent the last five seasons at Division I-A Tulane, I-AA Southern's first opponent this season (at 2:30 p.m. Saturday in the Superdome).

Richardson first got to know of Oliver when -- before the teams started to play each other last season -- the Jaguars staff would visit the Green Wave staff to talk about the spread offense.

When Orlando took the TSU job, Richardson called Oliver.

"He kind of knew me and I knew a lot about him," Oliver said. There really weren't a whole bunch of unknowns for me.

"Here's an opportunity to win big, because we've got great fan support and players, and be around good people. That's the best thing about the Southern program."

Oliver came to Southern in January in time for the rudiments of his offense to be installed in spring practices. Though the Jaguars will work from the same formations, his scheme will feature a host of new wrinkles, the biggest of which may be balance.

"There are a lot of the same things, but there a lot of new things," Hayes said. "The ball is spread a little more."

Oliver, who said he's been coaching his way south in his career, spent two seasons at Northern Colorado, one at Farmington (N.M.) and one at Southeast Missouri State before coaching tight ends and special teams at Tulane.

"I really enjoy the way football is played and followed down South," Oliver said. "Here it's like a religion. That's the kind of football I want to be a part of. I wanted to be in a stadium on a Saturday night when it was packed full of people in my coaching career."

Saturday's game will be his first as an offensive coordinator and his first against his former players.

"You want to treat it just like any other game, but I'm pretty familiar with those kids and so it'll be a little emotional for me," Oliver said. "When we finish those three hours, we'll go back to being friends.

"I have a lot of fond memories at Tulane. We had a chance to go undefeated and coach on the greatest team in Tulane history (in 1998). But I'm looking forward to carving out some of those same memories here at Southern University."

Back