South Carolina, Clemson players fight on field

Olde Hornet

What a weekend:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;...g=ap-scarolina-clemsonbrawl&prov=ap&type=lgns

South Carolina, Clemson players fight on field

November 20, 2004

CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) -- Players from South Carolina and Clemson brawled late in the game Saturday, with 67-year-old coach Lou Holtz diving into the pile as peacemaker in his regular-season finale with the Gamecocks.

``That's the first time that ever happened to me during a game,'' Holtz said.

Police, security and coaches tried to separate the teams, who scuffled before the game started and pushed and shoved each other throughout.

The fight appeared to start at the line of scrimmage when South Carolina failed on a fourth-and-11. South Carolina offensive lineman Chris White was fighting with Clemson players and the others rushed to the center of the field to take part.

South Carolina receiver Matthew Thomas and Clemson cornerback Justin Miller also traded swings. The mass of players moved to the east end zone before security, state troopers and other law enforcement officers could break things up.

``There's no place in football for it,'' Holtz said.

The public address announcer asked all players to clear the field.

Both teams were assessed unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. After a break of about 10 minutes, play resumed with Clemson ahead 29-7.

Let us hope that Tuskegee and Alabama State don't do a repeat of a few years ago.

I don't buy Bowden's passing the buck to the NBA brawl. what a bunch of crap.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Bartram said:
Let us hope that Tuskegee and Alabama State don't do a repeat of a few years ago.

I don't buy Bowden's passing the buck to the NBA brawl. what a bunch of crap.

Well you know we live in an age where nobody accepts responsibility, it's always somebody else's fault.......

Bartram - Maybe TU will turn on their coach since the rumor mill is stating the he will leave.

JaguarNation99 - I could not agree more.

This one reminded of the Gram-PV fight earlier this year. Both were wild, but Clemson-Carolina was worse.

I hate seeing Lou H. go out that way. It was not a pretty end to a long career.
:smh:

Next year it will be Florida - since Spurrier changed universities.
:jump:

Olde Hornet said:
Bartram - Maybe TU will turn on their coach since the rumor mill is stating the he will leave.

JaguarNation99 - I could not agree more.

Nodda Olde Hornet, TU wished him well when he was going to go to Norfolk. TU will do the same again. Heck I may even have to go against my state pride and root for him when Grambling faces ASU! ;)

Bartram - For some reason - I dont think you will have a hard time doing that. :lmao:

It will be interesting to see what happens - A few years ago - Several Big 10 schools had campus or near campus riots after football games. Is sports fighting the Fall 2004 fashionable thing to do?

Back