Soon We Will Rise Above...

zack

As I grow older, I realize that the crap talking, band bashing, song thrashing is very unhealthy. I do believe that some healthy rivalries are needed, but some of the things I say and some of the things people say in public and private are very disruptive and distractive.

I'm continuing to pursue my degree in Music Education. I went to JSU back in 1998 thru 2000. I dropped out of school for varies reasons. I decided to try to go into something different. I had business and money on my mind. I realize that the business avenue was not my dream. My dream is to teach young students about instrumental music. I'm on my way.

I understand that I have to be aggresive towards my education or I will slip again. So I decided to research varies college and high school band directors and music teachers. I wanted to study tips, techniques, and procedures.

I came to find out that most bands I was bashing and talking down upon was instrumental in the evolution of, not only black college bands, but all america's college bands today.

FAMU, Grambling, Southern, Jackson State, Howard, and many others has paved the way for other bands at the university and high school level.

I will try to embrace all HBCU bands, to the best of my ability.
Hope you do the same.

Thanks for listening.

Yeah Brother,
College is about learning and a lot of times we learn from making mistakes. Band is a beautiful thing because it brings people together and builds relationships. It teaches discipline, honor, and respect. I can't deny that I dislike certain bands...but it is simply because they are excellent at what they do. With that... let the church say......

This post concerns me slightly.

Sometimes I wonder how serious some of you take this trash talking. I rarely talk trash and mostly just read and laugh, but I take it as humor because I respect all HBCU bands for what they do. You might see me talk shat about TSU before the classic or even after the classic but I'll be right there at a TSU game watching cuz I love bands....same with just about any other band the STORM will face. The trash talk is just fun and motivation to me.

I hope some of ya'll cats don't have a true hatred in your hearts for other bands. :(

I applaud your effort in coming back to school to get your degree. I am a Music Education major also and I know how it can when you are not focused. But the main issue is that you caught yourself before you fell completely and you are well on your way. Keep your head up and stay focused and don't slip!!

I think most of us are in agreement here that though we talk a lot of trash,.......it's just that. It's never really seriously personal. That was one of my main concerns when I first got on here but, I believe that most of the musicians as well as fans that post on this board respect one another. To me it's just a rivalry thing.

Good Post

ALthough we talk a lot of trash on this board, some people do take some things to heart. Talking trash, making comments, or having a personal opinion about a particular band should not be taken to heart. We are grown azz men and women that should be able to take constructive criticizm, good or bad. If we would all be a man about things the world be better place. Things that are said about on the swac page about different bands are just trash talking. I would think that all the talk would motivate you to do better. When you go to college everyone says they are grown, so act like it. You should be mature enough to know what your band needs and needs not to work on. So when a comment is made about you band take a minute and think to yourself and then make a mature response and not a hasty reponse because you was p!ssed about what someone said. If you cannot make a mature response don't say nothing. No response is sometimes the best response. Let your horns talk for you.

Excellent post , and I agree with you Blue Giant when its all said and done horns are the only thing that speak the unbiased truth about the level and abilites of your band program and whether or not you want to believe it is something that we as members of that particular program have to come to terms with. everyone should take the trash talking as a motivational factor to improve. instead of quick retaliation. OUT!!!!!

Back