Something Grambling and Southern Folks will Understand

The Founder

I was a pallbearer at a funeral today and sometimes you don’t pay too much attention. Before the family got out there I walked to my father and brother’s grave to say hi. I failed to realize that Prez Jones is buried 5 plots over. So I took this picture.

Prez was a graduate of Southern University. He served as president of Grambling State Universitt for 41 years. He was also the baseball coach while serving as president.

Prez was also a Deacon at my church.

So much history.3F13947F-D6D5-4788-AD14-91A31CB1172F.jpeg

I was a pallbearer at a funeral today and sometimes you don’t pay too much attention. Before the family got out there I walked to my father and brother’s grave to say hi. I failed to realize that Prez Jones is buried 5 plots over. So I took this picture.

Prez was a graduate of Southern University. He served as president of Grambling State Universitt for 41 years. He was also the baseball coach while serving as president.

So much history.View attachment 12325
A very profound "Thank You" for sharing!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

So much history.View attachment 12325
Born on my sister's birthday

Allow me to ask a question. I know I am probably way off base with this, but, we all know that nowadays the best Black athletes are not at HBCUs. Can the same thing be said about the best Black administrators?

Allow me to ask a question. I know I am probably way off base with this, but, we all know that nowadays the best Black athletes are not at HBCUs. Can the same thing be said about the best Black administrators?

That’s not true. We have some good if not some of the best black administrators because HBCUs do more with less than the white schools.

Having worked at a PWI and an HBCU as an administrator, I will tell you that there is a difference in resources. There are more checks and balances as well as support staff in place at PWI(s) in many instances due to resources and the infrastructure (like technology for instance) runs smoother also attributable to resources. On the other side of the ledger, one has to deal in large with a lot of micro-aggression and the proverbial glass ceiling at a PWI and at an HBCU there is more opportunity for upward mobility. To conclude, I would say it's hard to measure when you're running 100 meters and giving the opposition a 25-meter head start hence, you will never know unless both parties are on equal footing. The aforementioned is chiefly the business end I am referring to.

Having worked at a PWI and an HBCU as an administrator, I will tell you that there is a difference in resources. There are more checks and balances as well as support staff in place at PWI(s) in many instances due to resources and the infrastructure (like technology for instance) runs smoother also attributable to resources. On the other side of the ledger, one has to deal in large with a lot of micro-aggression and the proverbial glass ceiling at a PWI and at an HBCU there is more opportunity for upward mobility. To conclude, I would say it's hard to measure when you're running 100 meters and giving the opposition a 25-meter head start hence, you will never know unless both parties are on equal footing. The aforementioned is chiefly the business end I am referring to.
Ok.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Self hate is going to show its head in this thread. My comment of some of the best administrators is true. Look white schools have MORE MONEY to hire more people. HBCUs pay someone and cross train them to do 3 jobs. There are white schools who's athletic budget is the budget for some entire HBCUs. So if you can hire a staff of 100 people versus a HBCU that has 10 and still function....that speaks volumes.

Folks have short memories when they began working around white folks and forgetting where they came from.

A large percentage of those black administrators at white colleges would tuck their tail and hide for cover at a HBCU.

Self hate is going to show its head in this thread. My comment of some of the best administrators is true. Look white schools have MORE MONEY to hire more people. HBCUs pay someone and cross train them to do 3 jobs. There are white schools who's athletic budget is the budget for some entire HBCUs. So if you can hire a staff of 100 people versus a HBCU that has 10 and still function....that speaks volumes.

Folks have short memories when they began working around white folks and forgetting where they came from.

A large percentage of those black administrators at white colleges would tuck their tail and hide for cover at a HBCU.
Common sense and common DECENCY is universal, Found. Those attributes have nothing to do w/ budgets.

Common sense and common DECENCY is universal, Found. Those attributes have nothing to do w/ budgets.

If you look at an organization....if you can hire enough people those persons are able to keep that person without common sense or common decency hidden. LOL....

If you look at an organization....if you can hire enough people those persons are able to keep that person without common sense or common decency hidden. LOL....

That's truth ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Bad attitude Betty can easily be hidden if there are too many around her hiding her trifling tired ass and that abhorrent attitude she has. lol So, it does go back to budget. lolololololololol :D

Everybody has a boss. It's up to leadership to care enough to hold their employees accountable. AAMU used to be notorious for long lines, bad customer service, and unorganization. When Pres. Hugine came aboard, he made it a point to make sure to keep a pulse on the customer service and feedback. Now, the administrators are required to respond to missed calls and emails within 24 hours. Most employees aren't gonna care any more about the product than their supervisor or leadership cares about it. Accountability.

The 2nd key to improving this is instituting a fair and competitive performance appraisal system that also incentivizes high performers.

Some HBCUs' downfall continues to be this in administrative office positions. The # of employees and budget are not valid excuses.

I was a higher education consultant for 15 years and have direct and indirect consulting for half the SWAC, MEAC and Tennessee State and some D2 HBCUs. I’ve done far more work for PWIs. Some of the things that our PWI counterparts complain about would be considered luxuries at HBCUs. They hide lazy sorry good for nothing employees until retirement. We however cannot in most cases hide ours.

Back to Prez Jones! We praise God for blessing us with this Great Leader. I was fortunate to have enrolled at Grambling College with him as President and to have graduated from Grambling State University with the late Dr. Joseph B Johnson as President.

Back