Some large HBCUs are getting larger. The biggest is North Carolina A&T

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member

Here’s a look at enrollment trends since the pandemic among selected historically Black universities​

The unprecedented social, educational and economic upheaval since March 2020 has wreaked havoc on enrollment at many schools. Florida A&M University attributes its enrollment dip to the pandemic, admission testing rules in Florida and state funding formulas that focus on retention and graduation rates. University officials foresee a rebound in their head count. They say applications were up this year 30 percent. “We’re hoping and we’re pushing to try to increase enrollment this year,” William Hudson, Florida A&M’s vice president for student affairs, told The Post. He said the university will also focus on recruiting transfer and graduate students “as we continue to support our stellar academic programs.”

Here in Greensboro, enrollment is a point of pride for the school formally known as North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. But not the only one.

273899780_10224664777225641_1046472956678538719_n.jpg

Southern University's enrollment for fall 2021 actually stood at 8,425. SU's law school enrollment (920) is not counted in the university's overall enrollment numbers because the law school has its own chancellor and is a self-contained entity. Most do not realize this fact. Enrollments at the law schools at Howard, NCCU, FAMU, and Texas Southern are counted in those institutions' overall enrollment numbers. SU also has an Ag. Center, a research & teaching campus, situated on the BR landmass with its own chancellor, and is likewise a self-contained entity, but its student count is included in the overall numbers for SUBR. The university is aware of this disparity and is already taking measures to correct it.

Southern University's enrollment for fall 2021 actually stood at 8,425. SU's law school enrollment (920) is not counted in the university's overall enrollment numbers because the law school has its own chancellor and is a self-contained entity. Most do not realize this fact. Enrollments at the law schools at Howard, NCCU, FAMU, and Texas Southern are counted in those institutions' overall enrollment numbers. SU also has an Ag. Center, a research & teaching campus, situated on the BR landmass with its own chancellor, and is likewise a self-contained entity, but its student count is included in the overall numbers for SUBR. The university is aware of this disparity and is already taking measures to correct it.
So

+1. Indeed.

NCA&T's engineering program is 2nd to none. They are the standard the rest of us follow.

It's an arms race but we're coming on strong as welI. I won't be satisfied until PV returns as the #1 producer of Black Engineers.

What is Grambling's enrollment? I'm just noticing that they were not listed. I remember they were bouncing back as well.

It's an arms race but we're coming on strong as welI. I won't be satisfied until PV returns as the #1 producer of Black Engineers.
Our newest addition, the $70M building #5, certainly keeps us in the hunt but there is more which is required that I don't see the aggressive progression towards. When the approach is noted, too many from the outside will come attempting to be the leach and try to get a slice of the incoming paper ($$$$ + equipment, collateral, budget). It occurred before, on campus.

And I need to be careful with my public words before I put my foot in my mouth again. lol & smh

Went for the family trailride deal last Sat and stopped on campus for a few.

The cane/construction for the new engr bldg 5 looks really weird where the parking lot for Fuller Hall was evident for too many decades.

North Carolina and Texas HBCUs are funded MUCH higher than surrounding states. AAMU’s president always speaks on how he is jealous of the states of Texas and North Carolina when it comes to state funding.

We killed those numbers with limiting open enrollment - we would've had HBCUs at 20K if it wasn't for that

some claimed it would've brought standards down but all it did was allow a community college system to grow faster and in turn that same CC system partnered with the bigger state schools to streamline their enrollment

in some cities, schools began to branch out and offer branch campuses with lower standards designed to boost enrollment with hispanic populations to get Hispanic grant money

with foresight we could've created colleges within colleges to offset that

there aren't a large pool of black kids to begin with since we don't have the luxury of Africa next door and other races will go white as a whole before they give in to black - we can't be hard on ourselves

We killed those numbers with limiting open enrollment - we would've had HBCUs at 20K if it wasn't for that

some claimed it would've brought standards down but all it did was allow a community college system to grow faster and in turn that same CC system partnered with the bigger state schools to streamline their enrollment

in some cities, schools began to branch out and offer branch campuses with lower standards designed to boost enrollment with hispanic populations to get Hispanic grant money

with foresight we could've created colleges within colleges to offset that

there aren't a large pool of black kids to begin with since we don't have the luxury of Africa next door and other races will go white as a whole before they give in to black - we can't be hard on ourselves

Yeah but have many folks would have stayed in school?

https://abc11.com/hbcus-enrollment-nc-scotus-ruling-affirmative-action-race-college-admissions/13465158/

Of the 103 HBCUs in the country, Howard University has more Black Students enrolled than all of the Ivy League institutions combined.
According to Forbes, Howard currently has 5,916 Black undergraduates enrolled which tops 5,063 of 68,968 undergraduate students at all the Ivy League schools. Following Howard with the most Black students enrolled are Florida A&M, Morgan State, North Carolina A&T, Prairie View A&M, Southern, and Tennessee State – each of which boasts more Black students than the eight Ivy League schools.

Back