Sniper in DC Area..

cat daddy

What are your thoughts on the sniper in the DC Area? I don't know if it is a terrorist connected to the Islamic Extremist or just some crazy redneck from the mountains of West Virginia or Montana. :confused:

Hundreds of Leads to a Gunman
Police Set Up System to Chase Tips And Theorize on Profile of Killer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51945-2002Oct6.html

By Serge F. Kovaleski and Michael E. Ruane
Washington Post Staff Writers
Monday, October 7, 2002; Page A01

After days of public anxiety, frantic police work and forensic research, the hunt for a lethal sniper appeared to enter a phase of old-fashioned, shoe-leather investigating yesterday, as police sifted through tips, knocked on doors and analyzed the assailant's attack patterns.

Four days after the first fatal shooting, Montgomery County Police Chief Charles A. Moose conceded, "Some of the more desirable smoking-gun leads just aren't there."

"Science is an asset, science helps, but talking to people, getting information from people, is our best ally," he said.

While forensic science has been a "great asset" during the initial days of the probe, Moose said, "we still want to hear from people. We are still not convinced that we have talked with the right people."

Ballistics tests have linked five of the seven shootings in Montgomery County, the District and Virginia to a single high-powered, .223-caliber rifle. Police said yesterday that they were attempting to discern whether there was any pattern to the attacks that might suggest where the gunman could strike again.

"I can only hope that I can be as patient as we want the public to be," Moose said. "Every time my phone rings or someone sticks their head into my doorway . . . I'm hoping it is to tell me we have got somebody in custody."

Moose said at least 100 Montgomery County investigators were working the case, with about 50 agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the FBI. Moose said investigators have received an estimated 4,000 calls and 800 credible leads.

Moose said that in some instances investigators are handling tips over the telephone, while in other cases teams of detectives are dispatched to conduct interviews. The FBI has provided an advanced computer system into which all the information from tipsters is being entered and categorized by priority. A clerical staff keeps track of when tips are distributed to field investigators, what the investigations yield and whether the tips are closed out.

Police believe that in each of the shootings, a single shot was fired from a long distance at an unsuspecting victim by an assailant who then vanished unnoticed.

But authorities said they were not necessarily searching for a trained marksman. Gun experts said it does not take an award-winning sharpshooter to make the precision shots that characterized the recent attacks. Members of the military routinely train with targets set 300 to 500 yards away. But shooting from that distance is difficult with the type of .223-caliber bullets used, experts said, particularly if a scope was not used.

"If it's a scope rifle, you can shoot . . . 150 to 175 yards without too much difficulty," said a member of a shooting range who spoke on the condition that he not be identified. "But this guy's probably been practicing somewhere."

Local investigators have talked to FBI agents about three possible profiles for the shooter: a terrorist, a serial killer or a thrill killer. Moose said all three are being considered, but he publicly cast doubt on the first two. He contended that terrorists generally make their demands and intentions known to score political points and that serial killers often space their killings out over days, weeks or months.

In the annals of modern American crime, many similar cases have been solved by a tip from the public, a lucky hunch or a fortuitous turn of events.

From July 1976 to August 1977, New York City was roiled by the serial killer who came to be known as Son of Sam. In eight attacks during that 13-month stretch, David Berkowitz fatally shot five young women and a man and wounded seven other people. He attacked randomly and intermittently, largely targeting young couples in quiet public locations. A parking ticket issued to his car on the night he claimed his last victim eventually led police to his Yonkers apartment building, where he was arrested.

James E. Swann Jr., the "shotgun stalker" who terrorized two Northwest Washington neighborhoods in 1993, carried out his 14 attacks from Feb. 23 to April 19 of that year before he was arrested by an off-duty police officer who saw his car run red lights. Swann killed four people and wounded five others.

In the case of the Unabomber, Theodore J. Kaczynski, his campaign of attacks spanned 18 years, during which he struck 16 times using mail bombs that killed three people and injured 23 others. The Unabomber manhunt ended in 1996 when Kaczynski's brother, David, sent investigators to his Montana hovel after recognizing his writings in the Unabomber Manifesto jointly published by The Washington Post and the New York Times.

Former FBI profiler Gregg McCrary of Fredericksburg said he believes that the sniper in the recent shootings in Montgomery County, the District and Virginia is a remorseless, egocentric killer whose victims are simply targets "to be acquired."

"These are just victims of opportunity. . . . I think he's probably setting up in an area that he feels it's okay to shoot in, that he can get out of there, and then just waits for a victim of opportunity, someone to come out that he can just put those sights on, and then squeezes a round," said McCrary, who was a profiler from 1985 to 1995 and now runs a consulting business.

"With that, you take away all the other motives, robbery and sex assault and all those other things," McCrary added. "You're down to thrill of the kill, playing god. Having the power over these individuals. Life and death. That's real heady, a real rush. He's on a high now."

Another part of the thrill, he theorized, was that the killer, in most cases, acted in broad daylight in relatively busy locales.

"It's a risky thing. It's a calculated risk, and he's being successful with it," he said.

Another Virginia criminologist and former FBI profiler, Robert K. Ressler, suggested that the killings might be the work of two people. The initial witness report about the white box truck spotted at one of the shooting scenes described two occupants of the vehicle.

Ressler, who now heads Forensic Behavioral Services International, in Spotsylvania, portrayed two people, "one driving, one shooting," both probably white and with previous scrapes with the law.

"They're shocking society," he said. "They're on a roll, having a great time."

D.C. police who investigated the shotgun stalker case said it is virtually impossible to stop a serial shooter by catching him or her in the act.

Although a massive police presence on the street is important to make people feel safe and allow for a quick response to a shooting, they said catching the perpetrator will depend on investigative work and -- as in the Swann case -- considerable luck.

"It's basic investigation. You ask a lot of questions. You think about it. You theorize, and you put it out there," said J.T. McCann, a former D.C. homicide detective and supervisor.

McCann, who now works as a private investigator and has been hired by the family of Chandra Levy to investigate her killing, said police tried to cast as wide a net as possible when searching for the shotgun stalker. They researched sales of shotguns and ammunition in the area, ran down leads of vehicles that fit the one witnesses said was used in some of the attacks, developed a composite sketch of the shooter based on the recollections of a surviving victim and searched for connections among the victims or their locations that might provide a key to why they were targeted.

William O. Ritchie, former head of criminal investigations for the D.C. police, said the killer's apparently excellent marksmanship could lead Montgomery police to contact law enforcement agencies and the military in search of a disgruntled or recently discharged employee.

Cat Daddy, it's very sad, and tragic. It's gotten to the point where schools are being closed, and some businesses are closing early.

The police patrols have picked up, but still, there's nothing to look for, or go by. This guy/gal has no preferrence, whether it be white, black, Indian, woman, man, child, it's whoever he feels like shooting that day, and he hasn't been in one area, he's making his rounds throughout the entire Metro Area.

Yesterday, was the first day they actually found some evidence, so hopefully he'll be caught soon, especially with Halloween right around the corner.

If he's not caught, I think this may be the first time Halloween may be cancelled in a metropolis, for the simple fact people are terrified now, and the closer Halloween gets, it won't get any better.

This guy is killing/shooting people in broad daylight, so can you imagine what he would do on a night like that, especially with all of the other psycho's that Halloween attracts.

NI..errr..IMP

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
ROCKVILLE, Md. - Investigators searching for a sniper terrorizing the Washington suburbs found a Tarot card with the words, "Dear policeman, I am God," near a bullet casing outside the school where a 13-year-old boy was critically wounded, a source familiar with the investigation confirmed Wednesday.

Originally posted by NASTYNUPE
ROCKVILLE, Md. - Investigators searching for a sniper terrorizing the Washington suburbs found a Tarot card with the words, "Dear policeman, I am God," near a bullet casing outside the school where a 13-year-old boy was critically wounded, a source familiar with the investigation confirmed Wednesday.

Yea I was reading that on CNN.com.:smh: This dude is looney for real. I don't think it's gonna end until he get's killed trying to kill somebody else.

I'm sure it's all a part of the terrorist acts. They stated that Sept. 11th wasn't isht....we ain't seen nothing yet. I think it's ironic that they're terrorizing the DC area.

I bet it does have something to do with the terrorist attacks, just them trying to show us...... Hey this is what we go through everyday in our country....Now Bush wants to go to war to try and stay in office. Bush is crazy and Farakahn is right!

Don't be so quick to blame this on terrorists. This may be some radical group right here in the U.S.A. Remember Oklahoma City?

Black Panthers send help...by any means necessary

Don't be so quick to blame this on terrorists. This may be some radical group right here in the U.S.A. Remember Oklahoma City?

Black Panthers send help...by any means necessary

I'm on the same page with you NN. I not so quick to blame this on the terrorist. We have enough crazy people here in the US with an axe to grind against our gov't.

Right now, I don't know who is responsible, I just hope they catch him before he hurts another person.

I wonder what Tarot card it was, that could hold a substantial clue. It doesn't sound like a Terrorist is doing this, its just some sick azz mofo that is probably one of those Uni-Bomber types. A Terrorist (foreign) may try to make it look like an American did it by saying "I am GOD" but they seem to be bold enough to do their dirt in the name of their GOD.

I am paranoid like a mutha. He's hit the places I like to go to the most...Rockville and Bowie.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
He's struck again.........

One man was killed at a gas station in Mannasses (sp), VA on Wednesday and another man was killed this morning at a gas station in Fredericksburg, VA.

Lord Help Us. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Y'all be CAREFUL in that area!

I hope they catch that fool ... any of those states still have death by firing squad?

:redhot:

Limefree, the tarot card that was found was DEATH.

It's amazing, and a shame the affects one man has had on the area in 1 weeks time.

Classes have been cancelled, schools have been closed, VA Public Schools have cancelled their football games, the DC Catholic league has cancelled their games, MD PS have rescheduled their games for Monday, and Tuesday, The Redskins have added extra security for the game on Sunday (which I'm attending), no PM, or outdoor events at the schools, businesses in rural wide open spaces are losing business, and closing earlier, people are seeing white trucks getting paranoid. Now they've got certain highways closed.

Not to mention the lives he's taken, and injured so far, this person, or people have truly changed the way life is lived here in the Metropolitan DC area, you can't look a TV show, because every hour, and a half, to 2 hours, they're holding a press conference.

Then it's not like he's targeting one area, he's getting around, if you're not familiar with the set up, up here, the area is made up of Northern VA, Southern MD, Eastern WV, and DC, with the exception of WV, he's hit someone in all of these places at least once, in a short period of time.

Other than a white truck, there's not so much of a glimpse of him/her/them (though they think they have an accurate descripiton of his vehicle). It's truly sad, and scary. I can't honestly say I pump my gas, and not think he's lurking somewhere, because he's not just targeting one race, or gender, or area, and with the exception of Wednesday night's killing, he operates mainly in broad daylight, though it's raining here today.

You really have to be sick to wake up, and say I'm going to kill some innocent people today. My only wish other than finding him myself (the reward is kinda nice, but that's not my only motive), is that they're not killed once apprehended. Being shot to death is not good enough for this person.

IMP

I haven't had to pump gas in about two weeks but I am gonna fill up tomorrow. I will be on my knees pumping gas.

:bawling:

I dont think its a terrorist because a terrorist group would have claimed responsibility for it. I also think there would be more in other cities as well.

Head Vest for Sale

Get your all new Head Vest . We have all sizes here.

Just dial 1800 headvest to protect your doom.

If you get a busy signal just call back... Head Vest provents you from

Washington Bullets :uzi

Back