Simply, the "Icon of BCF."

GSUperTiger

The "Icon" of BCF
http://www.onnidan.com/bcsp/802/stry8021.htm

Grambling reclaiming place at the top
ROSCOE NANCE
BCSP Correspondent

In football, Grambling is the one name among black colleges that nearly everyone knows. The G-Men's popularity is akin to that of the New York Yankees in Major League Baseball and the old Boston Celtics of the NBA.

All three became icons in their sports by being consistent winners. Grambling appears poised for a return to its glorious past. With 15 starters returning from last year's 10-2 Southwestern Athletic Conference championship squad, the G-Men are ranked No. 1 in virtually every preseason black college poll.

But coach Doug Williams isn't ready to proclaim that the good ol' days ? when opponents automatically marked the Grambling game down as a loss ?are back.

"It will never be at that stage," says Williams, beginning his fourth season as Grambling coach since replacing the legendary Eddie Robinson. "When Grambling was the old Grambling, African American athletes couldn't go no place else. The pickings were different."

Because the pickings are different, Williams' expectations are different. But they are not lower.

"Expectations are high as far as being able to compete with the people we have to play," he says. "We're going to be playing against people who are improving. We want to be in position to be competitive. We want to win the conference and the (black) national championship, but the wheels can come off. I can say we're optimistic that we have a good enough team to remain competitive."

Prognosticators are picking the G-Men to be more than competitive. Their predictions are based on cold hard facts. Eight starters return from the defensive unit that was No. 18 overall in Division I-AA last season and No. 3 against the run. Returnees include linebackers Robert Taylor and Terrance Dukes, defensive backs Kalvin Pearson and Calvin Spears and lineman Mark Hall.

Taylor, who Williams called the Southwestern Athletic Conference's top pro prospect last season, led the Tigers with a team-high 100 tackles, the most for one Grambling player since 1996.

The G-Men also return a solid nucleus on offense, led by quarterback Randy Hymes who completed 168 of 363 pass attempts for 2,475 yards and 17 touchdowns. Hymes' top target figures to be Levi Washington, who was No.2 in receptions last season with 48 catches for 609 yards and five touchdowns.

Grambling must find a replacement for No.1 receiver Scotty Anderson, who was the Detroit Lions' fifth-round draft pick. Ellis Spears and Byron Anderson, Scotty Anderson's cousin, are the leading candidates.

The running game is Grambling's biggest concern on offense. Senior Michael Young is the Tigers' top returning ball carrier. He rushed for 239 yards and one touchdown on 88 carries last year. Kendrick Shanklin, a senior transfer from the University of Kentucky also figures prominently in Grambling's plans. Four returning offensive linemen, led by pre-season all-conference center Larry Metevia, should also help.

"You have to feel pretty good with that kind of talent returning," says Williams. "This is a situation we haven't seen since we've been here. We're coming off a championship and we have a great group of returning players. It's a lot different than heading into a season not knowing what you have to work with. We know what we have. Now we just have to get it done."

If the G-Men are able to get it done, black college football as a whole will be the beneficiary.

"It ?s very important to black college football for Grambling to be good," says Florida A&M coach Billy Joe, whose Rattlers play Grambling in Cincinnati on Sept. 15. "It's fitting that Grambling is always in the upper echelon of HBCUs. For Grambling not to be competitive would take just a little bit of a spark out of HBCUs. The fact that Doug has them back adds to the aura of black college football."

Says Hampton athletic director Dennis Thomas: "If you play Grambling in Cincinnati, the casual fan will come to see them. When we played Grambling in New York, we never had a bad crowd. It helps in terms of revenue and name recognition. When you play Grambling your name is out there, and that's good for your institution."

Let me personally take the liberty to state that here in NY, I can not wear any Gram paraphernalia. The constant bombardment of questions like,"Wow -- you went to Grambling?" or "What was it like at tradition-filled Grambling?" is too distracting and overbearing. This is the national perspective of Grambling -- the Icon of BCF!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Says Hampton athletic director Dennis Thomas: "If you play Grambling in Cincinnati, the casual fan will come to see them. When we played Grambling in New York, we never had a bad crowd. It helps in terms of revenue and name recognition. When you play Grambling your name is out there, and that's good for your institution."

Buffalo take notes.

I bet Gram would draw a sellout crowd in Minot, North Dakota. Take heed to the SP's patented phrase -- the Icon of BCF!

Let's dig deeper. Look closely at the key words.

In football, Grambling is the one name among black colleges that nearly everyone knows. The G-Men's popularity is akin to that of the New York Yankees in Major League Baseball and the old Boston Celtics of the NBA.

This author is good. The quintessence of the analogy makes an astounding point. The Yankees are the most decorated baseball team of all time. The Celtics are the most decorated basketball team of all time. Icon Grambling is the most decorated BCF team of all time.

Let's go further.

"It ?s very important to black college football for Grambling to be good," says Florida A&M coach Billy Joe, whose Rattlers play Grambling in Cincinnati on Sept. 15. "It's fitting that Grambling is always in the upper echelon of HBCUs. For Grambling not to be competitive would take just a little bit of a spark out of HBCUs. The fact that Doug has them back adds to the aura of black college football."

One other important element of being the Icon of BCF is how your peers respect you. The bold statement is a powerful one. One can interpret this as if Grambling is down this reflects the entire BCF. Only Grambling can have this distinction. Wow, this one was really powerful.

LOL @ the Gram historian.

GSABER,

Where are those 1956 offensive stats I asked for?

I guess you posted this to say that no one recognizes your name in Ruston because that fish hole of a stadium is always empty. BFI send help. Garbage!!!

This is so sad of you people. Why are you lames shooting the messenger(sp)? I can see if he wrote these words himself, but he didn't.

Roscoe Nance is a hell of a writer. He knows what he is talking about.

Hell we didn't tell Roscoe to use the word I _ _ _. He did that himself.

But coach Doug Williams isn't ready to proclaim that the good ol' days ? when opponents automatically marked the Grambling game down as a loss ?are back.

Now don't be fooled by this statement. Doug is just tell you all what you want to hear. He knows, you know, I know, and the Cartel knows that we so dayum loaded there is no way in "L" you could possibly think that you are going to beat us. So go ahead right now and mark the game against us on your schedule as a loss. Save yourself the heartache and pain.

Man this article brings tears to my eyes....:bawling: We ain't gonna have no competition this year. It just ain't fair!

Originally posted by SAME OLD G
Man this article brings tears to my eyes....:bawling: We ain't gonna have no competition this year. It just ain't fair!

That's what I've been trying to tell ya! It's wrapped up...the only reason we are playing the games is to make it "official". Now do you understand why I tried to run some MSVU smack.

Please move this to the SPORTS BOARD where it belongs!

"It ?s very important to black college football for Grambling to be good," says Florida A&M coach Billy Joe, "

Noticed that they only quoted coaches from the meac, b/c SWAC coaches know they are a fraud.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by SAME OLD G
This is so sad of you people. Why are you lames shooting the messenger(sp)? I can see if he wrote these words himself, but he didn't.

Roscoe Nance is a hell of a writer. He knows what he is talking about.

Hell we didn't tell Roscoe to use the word I _ _ _. He did that himself.

Now don't be fooled by this statement. Doug is just tell you all what you want to hear. He knows, you know, I know, and the Cartel knows that we so dayum loaded there is no way in "L" you could possibly think that you are going to beat us. So go ahead right now and mark the game against us on your schedule as a loss. Save yourself the heartache and pain.

You noticed this too, huh? I am assuming the author does not have any affliation w/ Greatness. Our history is so documented and storied even Jimmy the Greek would write the same. Only Grambling, simply the Icon of BCF!

Originally posted by GSUperTiger
http://www.onnidan.com/bcsp/802/stry8021.htm

Grambling reclaiming place at the top
ROSCOE NANCE
BCSP Correspondent

But didn't we all know this? Isn't this man really just "preaching to the choir"? Who in their right mind could argue these statement?

All three became icons in their sports by being consistent winners. Grambling appears poised for a return to its glorious past. With 15 starters returning from last year's 10-2 Southwestern Athletic Conference championship squad, the G-Men are ranked No. 1 in virtually every preseason black college poll.

HOLD UP!!! Do we need to call Johnny Cochran? Can someone call a copyright, patent, or trademark lawyer? Did yall notice this man used the word icon? This was not edited by Supe, the originator of the ICON of BCF smack! This proves that it isn't smack at all, we are just what he stated...an icon

A-U-T-O-MATIC...just like Prince used to sing about! In other words, we earned the right to be considered an icon...WE KICKED AZZ

"It will never be at that stage," says Williams, beginning his fourth season as Grambling coach since replacing the legendary Eddie Robinson. "When Grambling was the old Grambling, African American athletes couldn't go no place else. The pickings were different."

Look at Doug...being gracious and humble. Knowing that others had the same advantage too...other HBCU's (most with a 30yr head start) was able to get these same players. It was just the will of God Almighty that we would be "favored" above all others...

Because the pickings are different, Williams' expectations are different. But they are not lower.

"Expectations are high as far as being able to compete with the people we have to play," he says. "We're going to be playing against people who are improving. We want to be in position to be competitive. We want to win the conference and the (black) national championship, but the wheels can come off. I can say we're optimistic that we have a good enough team to remain competitive."

In other words, there's only one team that can beat GSU this year..."ourselves". That's what he's really saying to the team: get yourselves ready, be prepared for tough competition, and successfully defend your championship

Prognosticators are picking the G-Men to be more than competitive. Their predictions are based on cold hard facts. Eight starters return from the defensive unit that was No. 18 overall in Division I-AA last season and No. 3 against the run. Returnees include linebackers Robert Taylor and Terrance Dukes, defensive backs Kalvin Pearson and Calvin Spears and lineman Mark Hall.

All so true...very talented and fine young men. But the wealth of talented role players, backup people, and team cohesiveness is what will make this team unbeatable

Taylor, who Williams called the Southwestern Athletic Conference's top pro prospect last season, led the Tigers with a team-high 100 tackles, the most for one Grambling player since 1996.

These are not tackles...these are near decapitations! Sometimes, I wonder how a human being can stand to sleep at night realizing that he has inflicted so much pain on a fellow human. The scary part is that this was coming off a year of inactivity. The scarier part is that the front line in front of him is so physically strong and so much more experienced that he can simply "seek and destroy"

The G-Men also return a solid nucleus on offense, led by quarterback Randy Hymes who completed 168 of 363 pass attempts for 2,475 yards and 17 touchdowns. Hymes' top target figures to be Levi Washington, who was No.2 in receptions last season with 48 catches for 609 yards and five touchdowns.

This guy is potentially the most dangerous offensive player in the league. Do you realize that he put up these numbers after having played wide receiver the previous year? Do you realize he spends the entire basketball season away from football in order to help our basketball program? Do you realize that he put up these kind of numbers without being named the starter until the 2nd game of the season (against D1A CUSA champ Louisville)? Do you realize that if he improves (and he has) only marginally, he can put up nearly 3000 yards passing and 34 touchdowns.

Grambling must find a replacement for No.1 receiver Scotty Anderson, who was the Detroit Lions' fifth-round draft pick. Ellis Spears and Byron Anderson, Scotty Anderson's cousin, are the leading candidates.

As good as Scottie was, he won't even be missed...not in terms of performances. These guys have so much ability that it's frightening what they are gonna do to the db's around the league. The worst two jobs in college football is to be the defensive coordinator and secondary coach of teams on GSU's schedule.

The running game is Grambling's biggest concern on offense. Senior Michael Young is the Tigers' top returning ball carrier. He rushed for 239 yards and one touchdown on 88 carries last year. Kendrick Shanklin, a senior transfer from the University of Kentucky also figures prominently in Grambling's plans. Four returning offensive linemen, led by pre-season all-conference center Larry Metevia, should also help.

Folks...it's gonna be so much fun watching the ground game this year. The only thing that will limit our run offense is the quick strike capability of our passing game. We have so many diverse styles of running backs that it will be a nightmare trying to prepare. We have powerbacks, speed backs, combination backs...whatever and however we choose to get those 50pts!

"You have to feel pretty good with that kind of talent returning," says Williams. "This is a situation we haven't seen since we've been here. We're coming off a championship and we have a great group of returning players. It's a lot different than heading into a season not knowing what you have to work with. We know what we have. Now we just have to get it done."

BOTTOM LINE...JUST WIN BABY!

If the G-Men are able to get it done, black college football as a whole will be the beneficiary.

In other words, we are the straw that stirs the drink! We are the truth, the hold truth, and nothing but the truth

Let me personally take the liberty to state that here in NY, I can not wear any Gram paraphernalia. The constant bombardment of questions like,"Wow -- you went to Grambling?" or "What was it like at tradition-filled Grambling?" is too distracting and overbearing. This is the national perspective of Grambling -- the Icon of BCF!

Let's dig deeper. Look closely at the key words.

This author is good. The quintessence of the analogy makes an astounding point. The Yankees are the most decorated baseball team of all time. The Celtics are the most decorated basketball team of all time. Icon Grambling is the most decorated BCF team of all time.

"The quintessence of the analogy..."???:emlaugh:

Buffalo take notes.

I bet Gram would draw a sellout crowd in Minot, North Dakota.

You can draw big crowds in N. Dakota but can't fill up your own stadium. GSU Logic.:emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

Originally posted by S.U. T-BONE 99

You can draw big crowds in N. Dakota but can't fill up your own stadium. GSU Logic.:emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

:emlaugh: :emlaugh:

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI

GSU FACT. AT LEAST WE ARE KNOWN IN N. DAKOTA.

Yeah cause they schedule you for their homecoming so they can tear a hole in yall ssa. What a way to be known, that damn GSU Logic rears its ugly head again.:emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

Back