Should we celebrate Juneteenth? (June 19, 1865)

Panther88

Banned
I've had differing feelings on this OFFICIAL Texas state holiday (non-federal holiday). Being reared here, it was tradition to celebrate the day, even before knowing what it was really about. Upon leaving the state and not celebrating, subsequently returning, I've questioned the need or desire to celebrate 2 addtl years of slavery by ancestors. I think I've concentrated my thoughts, more like anger and disgust, on the 2 addtl years of slavery vs the actual releasal of slaves (which is what is being celebrated).

Discuss.

Well to be honest P~, I don't usually celebrate it anyway. If anything, it's just another day to take off and bbq. :D

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I don't know DTown. Go to <a href="http://www.juneteenth.com">www.juneteenth.com</a> and check out some of the 411. It's amazing to see other states beginning to celebrate this day. God forbid, even Utah is in the mix. Go figure.

That's some deep stuff.

Well the crack...ugh, I mean other peeps are probably celebrating it for a laugh, ya feel me. It's not the same for us.

LOL@DTown X. Gul, you is a belligerent Negro. LOL You're right though. It's a TRIIIIIIIIIIIP to see white folx @ the celebrations. It's almost like the way I feel when I go to a July 4th thingy. I think of history and I get :mad:.

I am not big on this day, but I do celebrate it sometime. I think some of the reconition it brings is good. SOmetimes we jump to make everything bad, but I have met some white people that were more informed about it than most black people. Lots of things have happenned in history, a lot of it bad. Now we gotta make the best of our situtation.

We are having a celebration in my office. We have approx. 85%+ Armenians in my office so we are definitely the minority and just like the other races we celebrate significant dates for our race. You should see these folk up in here tearin' up the Fried Chicken, Greens, and the Barbeque. One of the most interesting things is that the people here really listen to our programs and ask questions, we have the other races support and it is a good thing. :)
5:35 PST and I get off at 6:00...I am about to raise up.

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
What I wanna know is why were the Texas Negros informed so dayum late?

:rolleyes: Southern University Education. :smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh:

No History Courses at that School.

According to juneteenth.com...

<b>
Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration of the ending of slavery. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that the Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas with news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free. Note that this was two and a half years after President Lincoln?s Emancipation Proclamation - which had become official January 1, 1863. The Emancipation Proclamation had little impact on the Texans due to the minimal number of Union troops to enforce the new Executive order. However, with the surrender of General Lee in April of 1865, and the arrival of General Granger?s regiment, the forces were finally strong enough to influence and overcome the resistance.

Later attempts to explain this two and a half year delay in the receipt of this important news have yielded several versions that have been handed down through the years. Often told is the story of a messenger who was murdered on his way to Texas with the news of freedom. Another, is that the news was deliberately withheld by the enslavers to maintain the labor force on the plantations. And still another, is that federal troops actually waited for the slave owners to reap the benefits of one last cotton harvest before going to Texas to enforce the Emancipation Proclamation. All or none of them could be true. For whatever the reason, conditions in Texas remained status quo well beyond what was statutory.

</b>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was passed down through my family hierarchy (maternal) that the slave owners w/held the information purposely in lieu of getting additional months (turned into years) of free servitude.

Re: According to juneteenth.com...

Originally posted by Panthro
<b>
Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration of the ending of slavery. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that the Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas with news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free. Note that this was two and a half years after President Lincoln?s Emancipation Proclamation - which had become official January 1, 1863. The Emancipation Proclamation had little impact on the Texans due to the minimal number of Union troops to enforce the new Executive order. However, with the surrender of General Lee in April of 1865, and the arrival of General Granger?s regiment, the forces were finally strong enough to influence and overcome the resistance.

Later attempts to explain this two and a half year delay in the receipt of this important news have yielded several versions that have been handed down through the years. Often told is the story of a messenger who was murdered on his way to Texas with the news of freedom. Another, is that the news was deliberately withheld by the enslavers to maintain the labor force on the plantations. And still another, is that federal troops actually waited for the slave owners to reap the benefits of one last cotton harvest before going to Texas to enforce the Emancipation Proclamation. All or none of them could be true. For whatever the reason, conditions in Texas remained status quo well beyond what was statutory.

</b>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was passed down through my family hierarchy (maternal) that the slave owners w/held the information purposely in lieu of getting additional months (turned into years) of free servitude.

To remember this day as part of our history and to know where we have come from says enough. I guess going all out or not on that day really does not mean we don't care about it. I remember my dad telling me years ago when my grandfather was living how he and the family never celebrated the 4th but only celebrated juneteenth. That is how I first heard about it. I guess that is why I look at the 4th as a joke.

Back