Should the NAACP Change its name

jelli

Music Lover
Why does the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People)continue to have the word Colored in its name? Do you think it should be Changed? If so to what and why?

Nope!

The name stands for tradition - this is what we were when they started, shows how far we've come. Plus, it seems NAACP is starting to champion issues for Hispanics, Asians, and other "colored" people as well. NAACP is also a brand image - everyone knows who you're referring to when you say that name.

What they should change is their AGENDA. I liked it when Kweisi Mfume became president because he brought new goals & ideals - economic development for our communities being on the top of the list. We have the freedoms and civil rights that the NAACP first fought for. To stay viable, they need to see the changes of the 21st Century and what Black America needs now!

Originally posted by jelli
Why does the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People)continue to have the word Colored in its name? Do you think it should be Changed? If so to what and why?

I went to Kwesi Mfume's address earlier this month at LSU. He said that the NAACP is about the advancement of <b>all</b> colored people - black, white, red, yellow, brown, etc...meaning the organization encompasses more than just black people, but those from all races. With his definition, "NAACP" has been and will be for everyone, so I would say that the name should remain the same.

However, if we want to make the organization <b>exclusively</b> about black people, then maybe replace "colored" with "black", since "colored" is considered derogatory by some when referring to blacks.

I agree Kev about the agenda change. I can't see anything that they,the NAACP, has for "colored" people lately. They made this big stink about night time TV and no blacks in staring roles. And there is still hardly any mostly black shows or hispanic or asain shows for that matter on the major networks. Do you think that the NAACP is just a political body that is all show an no action?

To me by keeping the name as it is, its promoting a seperatist type attitude. When we "colored" folks be just plain ole americans. When will america do away with all these labels?

I feel ya jelli

It may seem that the NAACP's name gives a feeling of separatism when these days we're trying to encourage integration and breaking down titles that segregate. But I think you have to look past the name and see what the organization is about. I'm with kci; I've also heard Kweisi embrace all minorities under the umbrella of "colored people". The emphasis is not separatism; truly, we ought to want the help of White folk and all others. But the common goal is for the advancement of minorities (colored people) in areas where we have been lacking before.

I was a bit surprised at how strongly the NAACP attacked Hollywood for it's exclusion of Blacks. But I think it was a good thing. It showed that the NAACP is listening to the relevant issues that we are concerned with. I for one was tired of seeing cheap Black sitcoms on fledgling networks! I think their influenced helped, though there's a long way to go. Now, this ain't exactly the most pertinent issue to Black America, but we are concerned with our image, and TV and movies have a lot to do with that.

By hiring Mfume - a young, public figure - and handling issues that give them press attention, the NAACP builds its brand back up and shows us their far from dead. Now, they need to keep listening attentively for what is affecting all of us today and take action toward those relevant needs. Even though it's still named National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, they can and should form goals that ultimately lead to the advancement of ALL people.

No the NAACP shouldn?t change their name. I just joined the organization for the second time (first time in 95) and I am not paying any more membership fees. I joined this time as a life member. The NAACP can?t have major influence, because it lacks participation (number from coloreds). If ? of the black population was involved in The NAACP, then Hollywood would have to listen. We don?t have the numbers when it comes to the number of blacks that watch TV or go to movies and the number of blacks that the NAACP represents. The NAACP is comprised of a few old people, when compared the percentage of members in the NAACP and the percentage of blacks in the USA.

Blacks should become more involved in the NAACP and then the influence of the NAACP will be acknowledged on a grander scale. As long as the numbers of the stay small the struggle will be trying.

Back